Your experience with the Fenix L2D CE

-Luke-

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Im new to CPF and Im thinking about getting the Fenix L2D CE as a general purpose light. Please share your thoughts about it. Im looking for a reliable, and practical light within a 50$ budget and open to other suggestions.

aussiebob

Enlightened
:welcome:

One of my fave lights, got 7 of em.

Never had a prob with any of em, totally reliable.

I use 6 of em on my bike, 4 on the bars and 2 on the helmet.

The other one is a bit of a beater, its been dropped, swimming, ect, its all dinged and scratched but works like new.

Go get one you wont be dissapointed.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's benn recommended since it came out 2 years ago, so it has to have done something right.

Which version are you looking at? The L2D-CE, L2D-CE Q5, or LD20? If you want to older L2D-CE, it's $41.50 at 4sevens before discount ("CPF8"). The Q5 version is brighter (around 30%, because of more efficient flux bin of the Cree XR-E LED then in the L2D-CE), the LD20 has more grip and throws further (also has the Q5 bin).

:welcome:

-Luke-

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed the older L2D-CE on sale for $41.46 at Fenix-Store.com and thought I should get one while they're still around. Thanks for the reply and discount code.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great deal for that light. I've got one that I use around the home all the time. Very very versatile.

Don't worry too much about the Q5 vs. non-Q5. As I've gathered more lights, I find that the operation, modes, beam, and battery type are more of a factor than raw output.

Only thing to watch out for on the L2D: As soon as you see the light fall out of regulation (dim suddenly), shut it off if you can. It will run for a while beyond that point, but it'll be pulling the battery voltage down too low for rechargeables, and they can be damaged as a result. Not a concern if using alkaline or lithium. Just fyi, not a big deal really.

-Luke-

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around a little more and wonder if the new LD20 is a big improvement over the L2D Q5 and CE. Does the new knurling, anti-roll, and run time make a significant difference worth the extra $?

Any LD20 owners that can testify to this?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another great thing about this light is that you can add a 1AA battery tube (same tailcap) and/or a 1CR123 tube and tailcap later and have three good lights.

Geoff

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2D Q5. One weird thing about it is that on lithiums, the low is slightly brighter than the medium for a while. This may affect runtime some with lithiums compared to the non Q5 version. However, my brother used it with lithiums on a 6 day backpacking trip last fall and the batteries outlasted the trip. He had used it as a nightlight every night, all night. I used the same set of batteries in it on occasional hikes for about a month after the backpacking trip before the batteries were dead. It lasts a long time on a set of batteries and the low is brighter than a 2AA minimag. You won't be disappointed with this light. I think the LD20 is made to be more of a thrower and with a Cree l.e.d., that may mean more rings in the beam and means less floodlight. The brightness settings are different and the LD20 has a lower high and a higher turbo. Personally, I like having the 100+ lumen high of my L2D without worrying about overheating the l.e.d. on turbo. The LD20's lower high means that if you need 100+ lumens, you have to use the more inefficient turbo.

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around a little more and wonder if the new LD20 is a big improvement over the L2D Q5 and CE. Does the new knurling, anti-roll, and run time make a significant difference worth the extra $?

Any LD20 owners that can testify to this?
I say so.

Plus with the crenelated Bezel you can see if the light is still on if you sit in bezel down.

The Anti-roll is good, don't need it rolling all over the place.

I just like the design better and what not.

ypsifly

Enlightened
I bought the L2D CE yesterday and I'm very satisfied. I bought it because it uses AAs. The lowest setting has a touch of green but it gets whiter as you go to higher settings. I really like the UI. Last week I bought a Fenix with the same setup and it took me a minute to get used to using "soft" touches rather than full clicks to cycle modes.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
I've had an L2D CE for about a month, and if I didn't already have it, I'd jump all over that sale price at 4Sevens. I'm tempted to buy another one. :twothumbs

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found it to be a great light that runs on common alkaline batteries. You will do better with lithiums, but regular batteries are cheap now in bulk quantities.

1anrm

Enlightened
Bought my L2D CE olive back in August 08 and its been a reliable light with very good runtimes in all of its modes. It's actually my go to light when we get power outtages. When I found out about the clearance at 47s I decided to get another L2D CE but in black this time :twothumbs

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
Bought one when they first came out. No problems at all. Great light. Its been dunked and dropped and is still going stong. One of my favorite AA lights. +1 on getting the single AA tube. Makes it nice for pocket carry.

No experience with the newer models.

brucec

Enlightened
The L2D is THE benchmark for 2xAA lights. Unless you are one of those must-have-super-low people, this is the light to have if you care about efficiency and power. I have the Q5 version and it really puts out an amazing amount of light. I get over 2hours on turbo mode. The LD20 has a tighter spot & anti-roll, but is otherwise the same. I personally prefer the wider hotspot of the L2D over the tighter LD20.

carrot

Flashaholic
You are kidding right? The L2D is one of the most popular lights on CPF and you are asking whether or not you should buy it???

-Luke-

Newly Enlightened
You are kidding right? The L2D is one of the most popular lights on CPF and you are asking whether or not you should buy it???

Made up my mind; bought the LD20.:thumbsup:

Decided on it over the older version because of anti-roll, new grip and bezel. Now I just have to wait for it get here!