If you were getting a EDC - As a Prize

EDC - Which Battery

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
What battery would you want ?

I only ask since Im considering donating a Flashy/Prize . [ Wont go into it now ]

Anyway , what batt option do you chose .

Last edited:

deusexaethera

Banned
Re: If you were getting a EDC

Depends on how much it's going to get used. My Lummi Wee NS uses a special (rechargeable) battery and only runs for a half hour, but because I don't use my EDC very much, the fact that it fits in my watch pocket (along with my watch!) and the extra brightness are more important to me than runtime.

Before I found CPF, my EDC was an Arc-AAA; it's not very bright, but it'll run for hours on a common AAA battery. If I needed something brighter and bigger but still powered by an AAA, I'd get a Fenix LD01.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you were getting a EDC

Battery preference : :thumbsup:

Not flashy , Im sure everyone will want the most expensive , and my pockets are not that deep , unless some one wants to send me a Mill :naughty:

deusexaethera

Banned
Oh.

Fenix LD01 Stainless, if there are any left. Looks nice, works well, hard metal, common battery (AAA).

I see a lot of people voting for CR123, but since there's no guarantee this is going to go to an enthusiast, the battery should be as common as possible. That pretty much rules out lithiums, and certainly rechargeable lithiums.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to the AA-sized battery, pretty much the most common, universal battery you'll find. If you decide to donate a light, make sure it can also take 14500 Li-ion batteries. A Nitecore D10 would be a good example. If you do donate one, I'd be willing to mod it to a Q3-5A Neutral emitter for free, to help out :D

seaside

Enlightened
I vote for AA sized battery. Battery commonly available. Perfect grab size. Fits into your pants pocket.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
AA for me. Mainly cause if its an EDC light, I would like it to use a common, inexpensive battery that I can get anywhere at anytime. Good for emergency situations.

tamages

Newly Enlightened
for me, it got to be AAA, for its small and available easily from where I am living...

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA are OK, but AA/14500 are much better. 3xAAA and 18650/2xCR123 are also good, but I wouldn't mind even oddball (14670, 3xRCR2, etc.) sizes in that neighborhood.

Of course, if it would be my only light, something that can take primaries (preferably AA) is the only useful option, but odds are this won't be somebody's only light, so that's not a real issue.

HighLumens

Enlightened
Of course it all depends on who is carring the flashlight, and what are his/her needings, and so the purposes of the flashlight itself...

As for a young person, who will use the flashlight mainly indoor, I would suggest a 1AAA flashlight (LF2X or LD01).

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
chose AA

because there might be many non-flashaholics also in the raffles and cr123/18650/other speciality batteries would be asking too much from them.

AAA could be an option too.. skipped that because AA has so much more power.

a titanium AA or AAA.. as a prize.. me likes!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is not small enough to fit a keychain it will not be EDC'd.

I gave away 2 L0D CEs and they were not EDC'd.

LRI's Photons/Fauxtons are the perfect size but they look cheap.
Maybe a Fenix E01.

You will have to ask for their keychain and put the light on yourself.
If it is already on the keychain the recipient might not bother to take it off.
If it is not on a keychain a non-flashaholic will never put it on.

AA lights are too big to go on a keychain, will be left in a drawer, and not be available when there is a light emergency.

CR123A will be used until the batteries run down. "What! $20 for 2!!!" and the light will end up in the trash. Non-flashaholics will not buy a box of 12 over the net.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is not small enough to fit a keychain it will not be EDC'd.
That's a mighty big generalization, and I have a handful of lights that are all EDCed and don't reasonably fit on a keychain that say you're wrong.

It all depends on who they're being given to, and I have to suppose, given the wording of the question, that old4570 wants to know what we (mainly flashaholics) would prefer, not what people we might give lights to (mainly non-flashaholics) would prefer.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I only just realized that this was a multiple choice poll.. :ohgeez:

Well, I would say that the edc's that I prefer, in order of preference, would be:
1. 1xCR123
2. 1xAA
3. I have also added a 1x18650 MC-E light to my edc arsenal so that will be third... :whistle:

I agree with Beson... saying that any light that doesn't fit on a keychain will not be edc'd is really not accurate as I personally don't like to carry anything other keys on my keychain. I prefer to have a 1xAA or 1xCR123 light in a holster on my belt. Some people have also indicated they edc 2xCR123 / 1x18650 lights so to each, their own.

Also, I really don't like to edc 1x or 2xAAA lights in general. However, with some of the newer designs, I'm only now considering carrying a 1xAAA when I go out to more formal occasions where I need to wear a jacket and tie... sometimes even a 1xCR123 light is too much to carry around in my pocket under those circumstances... so I'm giving into practicality. But, my main edc's will always be either a 1xCR123 or 1xAA.

Last edited:

travelinman

Enlightened
Don't forget a simple UI. Since someone who isn't amenable to taking university night courses on how to run their flashlight might win it, something with a simple twist or click or two is in order.

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
I said CR123 because all of my REAL lights use those so i know that i need them and always carry spares in my car and my pockets...if you are properly prepared it really does not matter what batteries your flashlight takes, as long as you have them with you!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said CR123 because all of my REAL lights use those so i know that i need them and always carry spares in my car and my pockets...if you are properly prepared it really does not matter what batteries your flashlight takes, as long as you have them with you!

true, but I don't own any lights that run off CR123, so winning one of those would mean it would near certainly get sold on unless it was very special.