Drop-In replacement for flashlight bulbs

eocoolj

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I've read quite a few threads and not come up this.

My question relates to all the 2-D cell flashlights i have kicking around my house. They all take standard flashlight bulbs. I am looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade them to LED with a simple drop-in. I tried using a MAG-LED, but this was slightly too big i believe (I last tried it months ago, and just remember it didnt work).

Does anyone have any experience with the multitude of products out there. The primary criteria I am looking for are reliability and runtime. Brightness isnt especially important, as these would just be general use/utility lights used for under the sink, in the attic, power outages, etc. Its gotta be cheap too. I'm not going to upgrade a $2 flashlight with a $50 bulb. Under $20, or closer to $10 would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks

tamages

Newly Enlightened
i would personal recommend this, got of of this where i kick it around house as a beater, so cheap yet so bright, not for fancy collection but for daily usage and no hard feeling even you lost it, quality wise matches its price and above...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993~r.61387887

sku_1993_1.jpg

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would personal recommend this, got of of this where i kick it around house as a beater, so cheap yet so bright, not for fancy collection but for daily usage and no hard feeling even you lost it, quality wise matches its price and above...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993~r.61387887
Yeah, I suppose you could stuff one of those in a 2D body, but you won't get the same runtime as 2 D-cells with an LED dropin.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I can only find something similar in the general flashlights forum and nowhere else. I think this thread deserves it's own sticky and one inside the LED forum.

It's linked from the General forum sticky and the Welcome Mat though the Mag upgrade thread.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
[quote deleted - DM51]

He wasn't looking for flashlight bulbs, he was looking for LED drop-ins to replace them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
[quote deleted - DM51]

He wasn't looking for flashlight bulbs, he was looking for LED drop-ins to replace them.
You are correct. I have deleted that post as possible spam, and have therefore also deleted the quote.

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
I have a 3cell D and a 5cell C Mag both powered with 2 cell 28650 LiFePO4 cells which are nonimal 3.3 volts(6.6V total) or same as 4 alkies.
One has a Mag 4cell LED dropin in and the other a Terra Lux 6EX. Both draw the same 500 mA and produce the same amount of light according to my eyes and have the same throw. Both are good lights but do not match a decent much smaller Tactical light. My Terra Lux LightStart 220 has as much throw,more spill(flood) and is oh so much easier to EDC plus it only takes 2 AAs.