Possible to remove NX05 holder and apply 30mm?

NewsFlash

Enlightened
Is it possible to remove the optics holder on an LS/o and apply a 30mm optic? I've gotten the NX05 out and see there is plastic all around the emitter. Just how far down on top of a low-dome LS is the 30mm optic supposed to go? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Thanking you all in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
DON'T MESS with that little plastic dome!!!!!!!

The actual led is under that dome and the yellow phospor is attached to the dome. Been there, done that! I proved that the actual led in a LS is UV or near UV by knocking the plastic dome off a LS. Brushed it with a artist brush and put out the light forever. Pretty blue light for a short while!

NewsFlash

Enlightened
Roy,

I should have said that I saw BLACK plastic all around the emitter! Yes, I have seen the little clear dome with phosphor inside. What I am wondering about is that I think I will have to cut down the black tube part that sticks up from the heatsink to allow the larger 30mm optic to fit down on the LS but is that all that's required to make a 30mm work?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've got an LS/o optic holder still attached... I remove them VERY CAREFULLY using a razor blade working my way around the outter edge..

Oh Yeah, you will want to hold down on the Luxeon's dome with your finger when the holder comes loose.. I have seen errant "holder glue" pull off a luxeon dome (runining it) because it stuck to the edge of the emitter.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's certainly doable. Just trim with a sharp knife until it fits... But then again, there comes the problem of how to stabalize the 30mm optics on the circular optics holder. You might have to use the bezel head and lens itself as a cushion rather than use the star optics holder solely for it...

And because the NX01/5 and the 30mm optics use the "open air" of the sides to bend and collimate the light, I'm not sure how a sectioned off optics holder that goes up only to hald the sides of the optics is going to affect the beam shape...

NewsFlash

Enlightened
Thanks, all.

I can see now one false move can ruin a perfectly good LS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Hope to post pictures when I get my parts from ELEKTROLUMENS
and get things completed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif