SF-III re-visited.

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
After tinkering around for a while I decided to go back to the SF-III as it was one of the lights I made in the past that was built like a tank. In the earlier days it had a lux III then a Lux V with two stage and then finally this. It currently has a Cree MCE with 4 levels of light, low, medium, high and turbo. In turbo mode the MCE is seeing 2.9 amps. Can handle the following battery configurations: 2 x CR123, 2 x RCR123 and of course you alls favorite can't live without 18650. The battery of choice amongst hobbiests.

Sorry don't have any beamshots yet as I took these pictures this afternoon. Should I bring these lights back and do a run? Enjoy.

ARC mania

jagi6d.jpg

rhs50p.jpg

2qivh5h.jpg

2hgctcg.jpg

ogjmo0.jpg

20jiz5k.jpg

jtmouh.jpg

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, same driver as the SF-V. Doesn't shut down in turbo mode, cranks out a lot of light and its electronically reverse polarity protected.

ARC mania
I prefer the ARC mania hand assembled driver...Will you consider a new driver for this light, of you decide to offer a run of lights?

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will there be two cell body options, one for 17mm cells (CR123A/RCR123A), and one for 18mm/18650 cell?

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB: No, only one battery barrel. The inside will be made to accept the 18650 but in case you change your mind and want to go with 2 x CR123's or 2 x RCR123's the SF-III will come with a plastic spacer to prevent battery rattle :)

toby_pra: Thank you.

ARC mania

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea!

What about the driver? See post #4.

I owned one of the SF-V's, and while it was a very impressive light, it would be nice to see a fresh driver for this offering...Three level would be much nicer, as the four levels in the SF-V seemed too closely spaced.

Thanks,
Scott

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB: If I can get enough people to pre-pay for 50 units, I will be able to do a run. Of course, it will use my hand assembled converter and will have 3 levels of light vice the 4. An all new converter as well. This has been sleeping in my closet for the longest time. Here are the specs I have written down. I pretty much have all the parts ecept for the converters and bodies. If the new run becomes a reality, the body will be machined from T7075 material, the original was made from T6061. There will be a lot of other upgrades as well. Here is what I have:

Machined from T7075
HA III olive drab
SchottB270 glass with AR coating on both sides
Chem coat interior
Glod plated inner converter module
Tailcap switch with gold plated contacts and springs
Silicone o-rings
Multi function - 3 levels of brightness 2.9 amps to the LED in turbo mode
Reverse polarity protected
Aluminum op reflector
Cree MC-E M in brightness, WC in tint LED
Carrying case

ARC mania

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great Mike!

Just my opinion ----> I think you should stick with the 6061 aluminum. The SF III light was and still is one of the best looking lights, and the 6061 takes HA III differently than 7075, and part of the beauty of the SF III was in the darker HA III finish.

tdurand

Enlightened
I'm in for one for sure. I'd also be in for a conversion kit (or two or three) if you make them available.

It's nice to see this light revisited as it remains one of my favorites.

T

qarawol

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I want that one you have pictured. I am offering you $1000.00 NOW if you would accept. You know me on having the first ones of your creations.

BTW - I'm in for a pre-pay of two.

Let me know.

Njoy...

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB: OK, will stick to T6061

tdurand: To modify the SF-III to accept the new module is like going to hell and back. The inside of the head has to be machined and threaded to accept the new module. The new module is also a pain to make due to all the extreme detail. Since the original had a Kroll switch and can not handle all the higher current, a new tailcap switch will be used meaning the tailcap has to be re-made, chem koted and hard anodized. The bad part is that the anodizing maybe off. So in other words, it will be cheaper to buy the new SF-III with the MCE and 3 levels.

qarawol: Sorry, the SF-III in the picture was modded for a member. It will be much cheaper if you could pre-pay to help get this off the ground. Plus the new SF-III will have a lot of improvements over the ones made in the past. It will be much better than the mod :) I should have a pricing within the next 12 hours.

The only way I can get this off the ground is by doing a pre-pay. This will be the last time I do a run of these SF-III lights. They will have a serial number. Please post here if you want this project to take place. Thank you.

ARC mania