Lumapower D-Mini with CR123, 18650 and 2AA battery tubes.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Just when I had renewed my vows not to buy any lights before summer, I placed four orders for several different lights and accessories:mecry:... it was stronger than myself and I couldn't resist the urge. I hope you understand.

One of the lights I ordered from BJ was a light that kept me interested for already a long time: the Lumapower D-Mini Q5 with extra bodies for 1x18650 and another body for 2AA.

After searching this site I found quite some information on this mini-thrower, as powered with 1x(R)CR123, as well as with 1x18650. No, absolutely NO information was found on the 2AA.:mecry:

So, the classic question: can anybody tell me what to expect from a D-Mini Q5 when powerd by two nimh or alkalines? Will it be dim with short, unregulated, runtimes?

Thanks for any help.

Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
I just got a reply from Lumapower concerning the use of 2AA with the D-Mini:
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi Joris H,

The output with 2 x AA (1.5V x 2) shoould be the same as 1 x CR123A (3V).

As we use Step Up circuit for D-mini, which means the lower the Input voltage gets lower battery efficiency.
i.e. 2 x NiMH will be less efficient in the case.

D-mini's forward current is set to : 550mA.
The Vf of LED is not the same fr different bin.

The 1st generation of D-mini use a P4 whith higher Vf.
Later SE version use an Q5 with lower Vf and means higher efficient (less power consumption)

Basically, 2 x HiMH (2400mAH) means 6.5W-Hour which offers 2.5 hours of runtime for Hi-out.

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

Lumapower Team, [email protected]
2009-03-16
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So, would it be reasonable to presume that a D-Mini on 2AA nimh would have an output like an older version of the D-Mini? If I am right the first D-Mini's were tested somewhat above 100 lumens. If my Q5 does that, it will be in the same league as an incan Maglite 6C/D, which is fine for me.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
Another reply from Ricky at Lumapower. Output with 2xAA nimh should be an estimated 130 lumens.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Joris,

If you use 2xNiMH, the forward currrent won't be less as a P4.
With 2.4V Input, the forward current to LED is arround 450mA plus.

When considering Q5, the emitter output arround :130 Lumens.

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS
-----------------------------------------------------------------