poor run times with rcr123a in the Nitecore EX10 R2

Mrak

Newly Enlightened
My new Nitecore EX 10 with the new R2 unit gets less than five min. run time at full power 145 lumens. To get the light working again, I must open the case completely. When closed again the light repeats its short run time, then sudden off. Any thoughts? My GDP EX 10 performs perfectly with the rcr123a.
MRAK

PetaBread

Enlightened
My new Nitecore EX 10 with the new R2 unit gets less than five min. run time at full power 145 lumens. To get the light working again, I must open the case completely. When closed again the light repeats its short run time, then sudden off. Any thoughts? My GDP EX 10 performs perfectly with the rcr123a.
MRAK

Call/email the dealer you got it from and let them know, then send it back

to fix it, after they approve.

Unless it's the batteries. >_>

Last edited:

Mrak

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a voltage meter. The Batts are Tenergy 900 mAh RCR123A 3.0v. I believe they are "protected" (forgive my newbeeness) I have recharged each of the six batts. several times. 4 or more. Again I have had none of the common problems with the GDP unit.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried your other RCR's and even a primary cell to see if it happens?
On a side note, I do recommend getting a digital multimeter if you are going to be using Li-Ion rechargeables.

Mrak

Newly Enlightened
I will hit the shack for a multimeter soon. I will also pick up a primary for a test. I hope to stick to rechargeables for various reasons. THNX
MRAK

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Tenergy cells have been LifePO4's for the past couple years.

It sounds like odd behavior. I would probably try a primary or another battery before I sent it back.

What other lights do the Tenergy cells work good in?

Mrak

Newly Enlightened
I'm just jumping in to the whole cool light thing. I have a Fenix PD20, it too performs poorly with my Rcrs. I have read that Fenix recommends NOT using rcrs so I'm not surprised by the lack of high output performance. My Ex10 GDP works quite well with the rcrs. The light is speced to work with the rechargeable, and does. Thats it for my experience. The GDP is the bomb.
MRAK

paulsl

Enlightened
You can use 3.6V or 3.7V RCR's. They charge up to 4.2V and will give you a brighter beam. I still don't understand why only 4 or 5 min. Good luck.

thomas83

Newly Enlightened
I also noticed this thing.
The nitecore ex 10 r2 with tenergy 900 after poor time sudden off.
It does not happen however with the CR123A primary and 16340th UltraFire 880mAh.
To use the tenergy, you need that is not the best, but just below.

I have 2 NiteCore and many tenergy, is the same for all, and i'm not happy of this.

Sorry for bad english

thomas83

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 nitecore ex 10 r2, and many tenergy 900mah.
It's the same for me, and for all batteries and flashlights, when use the tenergy, the nitecore turn off after less minutes.
I'm not happy of this.

Don't happen with cr123a primary and 16340 ultrafire 880mah.

For use the 900mah tenergy, the intensity, mustn't have at the maximum.

Sorry for my bad english

Thomas

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
buon giorno :welcome:

dont worry about your english, we can understand you and that's good enough for me :D look on this forum as a way to practice your english, i'd love to learn Italian too.

anyway, i have the Nitecore EX10 GDP and its working fine, i abused it and broke the lens but no big deal there, apart from that, everything works great.

I tried using my Trustfire protected 16340 but its too long, roughly 34mm as compared to my Soshine unprotected 16340 which is roughly 2mm shorter. that slight difference is enough so that my PD will not work when i use the Trustfire, i can have it either permanently on or use it in momentary mode.

As for the runtime, i have used my EX10 for 20 plus minutes at maximum output with no problems, have not tried it for any longer just yet. I think there may be something wrong with your D10 as the batteries seem to be working fine in your other lights.

Send an email to the seller you got it from, if all else fails, contact nitecore directly, that is what i did when i broke my lens and they are shipping one to me for free (or so they say :D )

Good luck with your light.

Last edited:

thomas83

Newly Enlightened
I have also a d10 gdp, and i have solved the problem of the length (of 14500) polishing the positive pole with a rasp.
Now the PD is working well.

That torch has made a bad end, broke in 2 alone where is the thread (little thickness)

1673bd62.jpg

pity, because I think the d10/ex10 is the best flashlights at that price would go to a single battery
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

MvM

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I have still the same problem with my EX10 as well.

If I switch the light on (always on full power), it will switch off after 1-2 minutes.
I have to unscrew the head half-way, fix it again and then it will work again.

I contacted the dealer and got a new one but the problem remains.

Am seriously considering changing to another light.

thomas83

Newly Enlightened
Change the batteries, not the flashlight.

I have got problems also with the new jetbeam RRT-0 with these tenergy.

The RRT-0, don't work in high mode and switch automatically in the low mode

MvM

Newly Enlightened
Hi Thomas,

The batteries (CRC123A) are actually brandnew, bought them together with the flashlight.

However, I will try your suggestions.

Actually, it's a bit annoying. I bought the EX10 because I wanted to start using the rechargeable CR123 batteries to save some money.

thomas83

Newly Enlightened
It is strange that other people in the world (i am italian) don't have prblems with these batteries.

I have buy these, for the 900mah, but i haven't use these for the ex10 or the RRT-o

Buy others brand, but you can use these batteries (the tenergy 900) in the future, for flashlights that work in 2 x rcr123.

I have used these without problems with Olight m20, Jetbeam m1x, III, RRT-1 and RRT-2