CMG Ultra brighter, better than Arc AAA ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtice

Flashaholic
OK, first off, is the CMG Ultra brighter that the Arc AAA?

Is the CMG Ultra a better light?

Which would you like to have? I cant deside.

led_02.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Another vote for both.

Really, it just comes down to size. Want it smaller or do you want it to run longer? They are effectively the same brightness, so don't let that bother you much. I have infinities, Ultras and Arc AAAs. Use 'em all, all the time for different purposes.

paulr

Flashaholic
I happened to use both last night and looked at the beams side by side. One thing I never noticed before is the CMG has a wider and smoother corona. The AAA's corona is brighter but narrower. I'd say I prefer the CMG's more flood-like coverage. Even though it's pretty dim, you can see more of the stuff that's in front of you and not too far away. But the CMG is a pocket light and the AAA is a keychain light. I always have the AAA with me, and usually leave the CMG at home.

Anyway, as everyone says, get both.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultra's a tad bit brighter than the AAA LE for me... Now, if you're talking about the regular AAA, then yes, the CMG is definately brighter...

Here's another sentimentality followthrough: Get Both...

paulr

Flashaholic
Obsessing over brightness misses the point of this kind of light. If you want bright, get a Surefire. These lights are supposed to be very convenient and have long battery runtime. You often actually don't want them too bright, because dim light is easier on dark-adjusted eyes. I'd love to have a dimmable Arc AAA, or one with flood coverage. I'll probably buy a white Infinity (about 1/4 the brightness of the Ultra) sooner or later, because the Ultra is too bright for when it's really dark. Also I'll probably get a red Infinity (minimal effect on night vision) pretty soon.

Get them all...

stangster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:

...just drips with quality

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
I have a AAA LE and a CMG Infinity Ultra.

The corona is a tiny bit wider ont the CMG. The flow are slightly narrower from my LE. The total light output are indentical as far as I can se except from the case that my CMG runs on a lithium. But even with lithium in the CMG I must have them side by side to be able to see the diference.

The Arc is MUCH easier to keep under y shirt or on my keychain.

On the samples I have the CMG feels a litle bit smoother to turn on and off if they both are newly greased.

Yesturday when I was about to mark my Arc Iäve got a possitive surprise. I't was almost impossible to scratch in my name (I usually do this to most of my Equippment). On the CMG it was Easy. This says something about the finich of the Arc beeing much more durable.

Hmm, I can see that Iäm loosing the topic so I beter stop here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
I also thought that the cmg would be better while I was checkin the two out on the net. Better run time, slightly brighter... But I did order both, how could i resist? I got them and sure enough the cmg was a little bit brighter. I started to carry the cmg on my keychain... and decided I liked the arc better. The size difference may not seem big to read on a page, but when you actually hold it it is. Also, I never read anywhere about the feeling of solididty you get when holding the arc. Not to mention the cmg is just plain fugly, with that green annodizing.

To answer the question:

Is the CMG Ultra brighter that the Arc AAA? - slightly

Is the CMG Ultra a better light? - for my purposes, no

Which would you like to have? - both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
I got my CMG Ultra in the mail yesterday.

BEAM: The CMG is noticably brighter than my ARC-AAA LE, and since the beam is wider, the volume of light is considerably better.

SIZE: The CMG is HUGE compared to the ARC, about three times the volume.

WEIGHT: The CMG is also about three times heavier, though a lithium battery would make it lighter.

FIT and FINISH: The CMG has a shiny greenish finish, while the ARC has a dull matte, but the ARC looks the same as when I bought it. I assume the CMG will scratch and not keep it's appearance as long. The CMG had tool marks near the lanyard hole. The ARC has a more professional look.

UTILITY: - The CMG is generally handier to use due to it's larger size, but the ARC is more convenient for everyday pocket carry. - I'm always misplacing my little ARC at home. - I often hold the ARC with my mouth, as a third hand, while carrying objects or working with my two hands, but the CMG is uncomfortable for this. - I occasionally place the ARC atop my ear as a headlamp, but the CMG is too large and heavy for that. - I sleep with my ARC clipped to my shorts or t-shirt collar: the CMG would be very uncomfortable.

BATTERY COMPATIBILITY: AAA's are becoming more prevalent but can be hard to find in more remote areas. I had to supply AAA's to fellow cruise passengers in the Caribbean when they couldn't find any at our first two ports. The CMG has the advantage of accepting AAA's, using an AAA-AA adapter.

If I could only keep one I'd take the ARC. If I needed a light for extended use, I'd grab the CMG for it's bigger, more comfortable grip and brighter beam. You should have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.