Surefire U2 not very popular?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Why isn't the Surefire U2 as popular as other lights?

I realize it was getting dated but now with it updated to the ssc p4 to me it seems as though it would be a great light. Simple to adjust brightness settings. Click on off. Great pocket clip.

It just doesn't get talked about as much as other lights. I wonder why? Is it the size?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like them, but it's out of my price range. :broke:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Both size and price for me. I've talked myself to contain all my lights within single cell category as well :D. Managed to convinced myself that single cell with latest led is bright enough for my requirement. Plus I dont have to check for mismatch voltage, capacity, etc. The size and weight and co$t of running a single cell are also welcomed :thumbsup:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to get one for the longest time, but I was never a fan of 2-cell lights. I've been seeing the older LuxVI versions popping up on CPFM the past week and they were selling for a reasonable price. So I ended up buying one. I'm glad I picked it up :thumbsup: It's such a great light! I'm running this on 1 x 17670 battery and the output and runtime is quite good. I love simple brightness adjustment using the magnetic ring selector. I agree that it is pretty expensive. But if you're patient and wait for it to show up at CPFM, you could get quite a deal.

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Watch auctions and the marketplace, I got mine (P4) on Ebay, for about half price.

On topic though, I EDC a single cell light, smaller and more comfortable for pocket carry. For camping, hiking, working, etc, I would say the U2 is still one of the best 2 cell lights available, apart from customs.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm sure you remember but the U2 was very popular back when LuxV lights reigned supreme. But now with multimode circuits and Cree LEDs you can have 4, 5 levels for only $50 or so and a lot of people find it hard to justify.

The U2 never really quite "did it" for me since I prefer the two-stage switches as on the A2.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
I don't own one, so I can't share many experiences except for what's kept me away- the price, primarily.
I've also never been crazy about the looks- the rather bulbous head, specifically. Not the cool factor of some other SF"s.
Also, I have never needed that many modes/settings.
For me, I find a 2-mode UI (high/low) more than plenty.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple of new model U2's recently on eBay. They were new in packaging, both less than $150 apiece shipped. Although the U2 is a little large for me to carry in my pocket, it is my favorite light for walking at night in our unlit rural neighborhood. I can keep it dim to watch the stars on a clear night and quickly dial up the power to alert a passing car to my presence or spot wildlife in the woods by the road. I've got all kinds of clicky and twisty multimode lights but the U2 dial is great for on-the-fly brightness changes, especially while wearing gloves.

The new U2 works great on AW rechargeables.

Last edited:

alflys2

Newly Enlightened
I find it alittle to big to carry. A E2L 2 stage has a low and high alot easier to use. When using my U2 those are the 2 levels I use.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the new ones with the SSC P4. Overall, I'm very pleased with it. If you can afford it then it's a good flashlight to own. IMO you're paying for the quality machining and anodising and the unique design and UI but of course you're also paying for the SF brand name. It's not a WOW light by any means but a light that's useful in real world situations. I believe that SF has worked out the reliability issues that they had with earlier models.

My only criticism is that it's a little large for a 2 x CR123 light. I think it should be possible to shrink down the whole light. e.g. a thinner body with E-series tailswitch and smaller head.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really big with 2-cell lights because of its size. I only have about 4 lights that are in the 2-cell form factor. However, I feel that 2-cell lights are handy to have at home and vehicle. It's large enough so it's easier to find. I lost Fenix L0d for a good few weeks when it rolled off my dresser. The size of the U2 is a little large, but it grew on me and I actually find it very comfortable to hold. You won't be able to wow your friends as opposed to you showing them a tiny one-cell pocket rocket. I think the main wow factor in the light is the magnetic selector ring. It is a very functional light with pretty good runtime. I tested the old LuxV version this weekend using a 1 x AW17670 battery to test the runtime on level 3. I gave up after 5 hours when it hasn't even dimmed yet.

Price is certainly a factor and it's not for those who seek value/budget lights. I think it's expensive at $300, but good deal if you get it for half or less. At the very least, if you don't want it in the future, you could sell it easier than the value lights. The way I see it is if you spend $150 on a U2 and three years down the road you want to get something else, you could probably sell it for $120. However, with the budget light, you spend $30 for it, you'll probably won't even be able to sell it in three years. You could consider it as leasing a flashlight with the option to keep. :D

OceanView

Enlightened
As far as utility goes, I think there are plenty of CPFers who think the U2 is still one of the best. But, it's expensive, not the brightest, and rather bulky for a 2-cell light. But like with all lights, the buzz on CPF goes in cycles. You don't hear about it much lately, but there have been times when people would mention it quite a bit. The popularity of Milky's U2by2 mod will attest to people's continuing interest in the U2, although with some added zing to its output.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
4 Rebel 100 TFFC and 4 12mm reflectors. :D

I am guilty of taking the Milky route! I am thinking of doing one myself with the warmer MC-E. I think the factory reflector will do well once I open it up just a bit.