Need your help selecting a small light.

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I have a co-worker who doesn't go on the computer so he has given me the task of getting him a flashlight. He has already

bought from me a Ledan Aspheric C mag running 18650 batteries and a Fenix AA Q5. He likes the Fenix but would like to take the next

step in brightness. He uses the light sometimes in complete darkness but only at distances of up to 10 feet for most applications. He's

looking for more flood than throw. He really likes my Malkoff M60 in my 6P but the battery source is problematic. I'm thinking something

with a P7 led and a 18650 batts would be best. He would like to stay below $100 if it's worth his while. He's also willing to go with a

custom $250 light if it's super bright and there is a warranty behind it. Oh, and he's fine with the 6P size and maybe a little larger if it

came with a sheath. I told him I'd check on it for him so I'd like to know what CPF has to say. I'd like to avoid having to piece together a

light so I'm thinking a M30 would be a no-go for me. What are some good options? Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How small is small?

A 2AA floody light could work too, you can probably also get him a 2AA tube for the Fenix(L1D?).

gsxrac

Enlightened
Novatac EDC 120 series? Or as you mentioned earlier a 6P with a good drop-in would suffice also? Does it HAVE to run on rechargeables?

Newly Enlightened
I have already given him a print off from here talking about the dangers of rechareable lithium-ion cells and made the dangers very clear to him.

I'm questioning weather or not the Novatac will be enough of an output for him to notice a real difference.

The TK11 is looking very promising.

gsxrac

Enlightened
The TK11 has a pretty good price too. I mean if its a completley dark area how big of an area are we talking about? Isnt the TK11 supposed to be a pocket thrower of sorts?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Haha umm... I dont think hes gonna want or TK11. Or even anything all that bright? id think he would want a well regulated 40ish lumen flood pattern? If not a Zebraight headlamp? You should try mentioning headlamps and see what he thinks of the idea. Some people just think theyre funny looking but they can be extremely useful!
H60?
http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=185

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he only uses it for distances up to 10 feet, why does he need it to be brighter?

I would probably suggest to him a Dereelight C2H with a 5A or WG tint emitter depending on tint preference and a rechargeable setup. It is very useful at the up to 10 foot range and it is around 200 lumens.

He should be able to get a pill upgrade if the emitters make any advance.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7 thrower would be too bright to use at close distance. He'll need to make sure he brings :cool: when using.