General feedback on Streamlight, please.

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am a flashlight geek and most of my collection includes Streamlight. I didnt plan it that way, it just worked out. I have two SL-20s, 3 Stingers and 2 Stirons and 1 Survivor.

They have served me well, look sharp and have had no problems. I see that SureFire is the king here, but any other feedback on Streamlight?

I like Pelican too, but just have one of those for a work light.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
Good lights with a great warranty and customer service. I have a Stinger HP that I use to use on duty for over 6 years with the same rechargeable battery and the same bulb. The battery has now went bad, and I need to get around to replacing it.

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Delta. I am gathering a couple of things here-

-Streamlights are common in fire and plice work.
-SureFires are popular and mainly for personal use.

Anyone here do an LED upgrade on a Stinger? I want to do 3 of them.

Thanks.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire lights can be used for just about anything, but I'd guess that you see more Streamlight and Pelican lights in police and firefighting due to lower cost and more rechargeable options. Also, there are quite a few Streamlight and Pelican lights with UL safety ratings, while Surefire has no lights in this category.

alflys2

Newly Enlightened
Streamlights are very good work lights.In 18 years working for the Fire Dept I have only sent one light back to be repaired.It was a HID Litebox,.Streamlight wanted to see it.WE call for parts, they replaced them for free.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
-Streamlights are common in fire and police work.

Might want to re-think that 2nd part.

Surefires are popular with Military and Police personel as well. Certain models are more popular than others. Go to a police-supply shop, and you'll easily find G2, 6P, and 9P models. But you can forget about more expensive models such as an M4 or M6.

Surefires are popular with collectors too.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Thanks Delta. I am gathering a couple of things here-

-Streamlights are common in fire and plice work.

Anyone here do an LED upgrade on a Stinger? I want to do 3 of them.

Thanks.

Well, you're not too far off, but Surefire's are just as popular, if not more so in police work. Most of the LEO's I know carry Surefire and not Streamlight, but the balance shifts from platoon to platoon. Streamlight seems to be more popular with the Firefighters, since they all seem to have a Survivor clipped to them.

Surefire is definitly not made for "personal use", and they hold the major contracts with the US Military, and various LE agencies. In fact, they gear most of their lights and features to LEO's and military.

That being said, I own a Streamlight Strion and had a recent great experience with their customer service -- great people! When it comes to which I trust my life with -- It's Surefire hands down, but that's just because I've been with them as a customer much longer that Streamlight. I regularly carry my Strion as a trusted duty light as well!

carrot

Flashaholic
Streamlight is overall good. Some are better than others: the newer Chinese models are good... the American made ones are good... Streamlight may not be cutting edge but they do provide a serviceable, great product. Usually a good value too.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Streamlight is overall good. Some are better than others: the newer Chinese models are good... the American made ones are good... Streamlight may not be cutting edge but they do provide a serviceable, great product. Usually a good value too.

Is there a list of which ones are American made? I know the Scorpion and the AAAA stylus are.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have any feedback on the newest Streamlight Strion, LED C4. It appears to be small and have some long run times but cannot find any reviews.

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
Might want to re-think that 2nd part.

Surefires are popular with Military and Police personel as well. Certain models are more popular than others. Go to a police-supply shop, and you'll easily find G2, 6P, and 9P models. But you can forget about more expensive models such as an M4 or M6.

Surefires are popular with collectors too.

Good call.

I know SF is popular with LE. I remember their ad showing the Boulder City PD SF that stopped a bullet.

I am just going by observation in here. Seems like SL is more public safety and SF is more personal use.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
The only Streamlight I have is a TLR2 on my Glock. So far, it's a great tool. And it accepts the impact of rapid fire without a whimper. Solid light.

GreySave

Enlightened
Four Streamligths here.

Two Stylus Pro
One Ketmate
One SuperTac

Great lights that have served me well without any issues of any type. Price is usually favorable especially considering the warranty.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Streamlights are popular with fire and rescue because they offer quite a few models that are rated for use in explosive environments. I've never required service on any of mine (which says alot), but I've only heard positive comments regarding their customer service. From my own collection of lights, Streamlight and Pelican are "too close to call" if I had to choose one over the other.

I have a few Propolymer 4AA luxeons, which is still one of my all-time favorites. I've tried the new Jr w/C4 (Cree), which is China made and less impressive than the older propoly, in my opinion. The Ultrastinger is blazing bright if you don't need runtime.

tbhracing, you mentioned a 7060 in your future. I've got the 7060 and the 8060, both really impressive lights. The 8060 is about the size of a 3D maglite, runs 6 hours on the NiMh stick or 11 hours on 4C batteries. The 7060 has the dual switches, runs 1.5 hours, and is not as bright. You would be happy with either one for sure.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have served me well, look sharp and have had no problems. I see that SureFire is the king here, but any other feedback on Streamlight?

I like Pelican too, but just have one of those for a work light.
Streamlights are great. I've had a bunch of them, and given at least a dozen of their 4AA/7LED lights as gifts in the past.
Replacements, parts, lamps, etc. are readily availabe at several local stores, too.
Customer service was excellent the only time I used it, too. Brand new light delivered in a week.
Streamlight and Pelican are the only flashlight brands I've seen mechanics, electricians, and other coworkers spend their own money for. They like my Surefires, but think I'm nuts for letting such an expensive light get beat up(or nuts for buying them, probably). Matter of fact, outside of a couple of other flashlight nuts, a guy who works at a gun store that carries them, and a SF rep, I've never seen another person with a SureFire-just pictures of them here, and on firearms.
I see Streamlight has some new stuff coming out soon, like the "PolyTach C4 LED" that looks to compete with SF's G2L at a much lower price point. Have to check that out.
Who knows, a lower output budget version in 2AA might wipe all those crappy 2D incan "industrial" lights off the slate eventually. Here's hoping...

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Good call.

I know SF is popular with LE. I remember their ad showing the Boulder City PD SF that stopped a bullet.

I am just going by observation in here. Seems like SL is more public safety and SF is more personal use.

Yeah, well... it isn't.

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
tbhracing, you mentioned a 7060 in your future. I've got the 7060 and the 8060, both really impressive lights. The 8060 is about the size of a 3D maglite, runs 6 hours on the NiMh stick or 11 hours on 4C batteries. The 7060 has the dual switches, runs 1.5 hours, and is not as bright. You would be happy with either one for sure.

Thank you Sir for the feedback, it means a lot.