New guy wants to hotrod his E2D LED

motorhed66

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody,

Just found this place the otherday.Im in awe really what some have done with you lights and what some of the custom makers are putting out there. Im a gunguy ,knife geek ,EDC gear fiend...I have had at least one surfire in my possesion for over six years now..C3 centurian or a e2d...a flash light is key for my partime gig as a bartender as its dark...I use it to communicate with staff...shine in unruly guests faces...loads of things..I would feel naked without one at work. I bought a e2d led to replace my lost regular e2d and really love that light!

I also am a CCW holder. I am haveing a slew of custom holsters being made for an assortment of hanguns and some combination flashlight mag holders also. The E2D will be the one I carry with me in these scenarios.

Being new here and to some of the technology and terminology and how to go about boosting performance of this already fine light , I would like to ask if you guys could point me in a direction as to how to go about aquireing the proper pieces or companies that I could possibly send one to be modded. Also, different opinions as to what people would do to a E2D Led..brighter , and such....thanks upfront and look forward to all advice .

Bruce B

Enlightened
I'd recommend contacting CPF user Milkyspit. He does amazing modifications on various types of flashlights including Surefires. While I have not had the opportunity to personally own one of his modded creations, many here on CPF have and they swear by their Milkyspit mods. Just search Milkyspit on via the search function and you'll be set.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2D LED is a great light, but if you need more you have to decide if you want to keep the stock bezel or put a 6P bezel.

1. Stock bezel: You need a custom job. $150 plus range. Milkyspit has some insane creations, but get in line.

2. If you do not mind putting a 6P bezel (head) on your E2DL then you could spend around $100 to $200, but your light will have a larger bezel. The cool thing is you can do it yourself and there are plenty of 400 to 800 plus lumen P60 drop-ins available. You could put the pieces together in under a week.

What do you consider hotrod?
You want overall more lumens?
Do you want more throw?

Note usually the Quad emitters that give you 300-1000 lumens will not throw as far as single LED emitter.

Single emitters: Cree R2, Cree Q4, Malkoff M60, ect.. are limited to under 300 lumens, but offer far more throw than the quad LED like P7/MC-E.

Quad emitters: P7 and MC-E, more lumens and light up everything under the moon infront, above, and around you.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yea pretty much what everybody else said. Milky is probably one of the best modders around here but hes basically impossible to get in touch with from my expierence. Ive tried contacting him at least 10 times through PM and his box is allways full and Emailed him twice and have yet to recieve an answer 3+ months later. Good luck.

gsxrac

Enlightened
If your using it with your gun your probably gonna want more or a "flood" type beam. you can do that with a Surefire diffuser for MUCH cheaper. unless you really want more output too then your gonna have to do some modding ;)

Last edited:

motorhed66

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking it was at 120 lumens . It is excellent as it stands , but I wouldnt mind putting together either a new E2DL or my old C3 into a purpose built frankenlight ..ability to give a disruptive combative drunk a suntan...runtime is not a priority as I will always have acces to more batteries while at work, It will be used close in, so throw wont be of too much concern..lets leave the E2DL as is..as I am haveng at least 3 magazine/flashlight holsters custom made for it..and it is good and if milky is so hard to get ahold of..ok . tell me where to go to put together a "Drunk Be Cool" flashlight..all ideas are welcome...Surefire C3...lets make it bright. A grocery list would be much appreciated .

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go to LED TnC products has in stock black E to C adaptors for $27 dollars. What this will do is allow you to install a 6P bezel on your E2D. Then you could choose any of the P60 drop-in alternatives. If you purchased the new Malkoff MC-E it will give you over 500 lumens with 2 batteries. Malkoff drop-ins are available in warm version too\. The MC-E from Gene Malkoff will work with the E2DL and the C3. You can use 2 or 3 rechargeables or non-rechargeables.:D

Malkoff M60 works great with 2 non-rechargeable batteries. Nothing can compete with the quality of this, plus you can use 2 rechargeables in the E2DL.

See my E1e here below. I put a 6P bezel and Malkoff drop-in P7 P60. My E to C adaptor is green, but they have black ones in stock now.

PC190175.jpg

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Check MrGman's sticky....
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211402

MrGman's E2DL rates @ 210lm, plus the tight beam can be used to your advantage, especially at a distance. It can be very disorienting to night adjusted eyes especially if they are not expecting it.
Just ask my co-workers!!!! :devil:

I'd want to keep my E2DL's throwing capability, personally....

j.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
+1 to leave your E2DL alone and get a floody light using a P7 or MC-E, preferably running at 10W for maximum output. For maximum blinding ability, do not choose one of the neutral white emitters such as 5A MC-E for example. The neutral whites are about 15% dimmer and do not contain as much of the dazzling blue component. You want ideally either a D brightness bin P7 or an M brightness bin MC-E.

One example of a great light for this application is Milky's Room Sweeper - a Surefire head with a P7 running direct drive at 10 watts. They can be built into an E series head and can put out as much as 750-800 lumens on a fresh battery (that's a single Li-ion 17670 or IMR16340) tapering down to about 650. Primary cells can hold closer to 800 lumens.

Oh, and Superdave - I don't have to think long to guess how Jordon would feel about letting you into his E2DL. :whistle:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hmm IDK about a ton of flood? if hes working in a bar/club you dont wanna blind your good behaving customers just the jacka$$ thats being unruly. So I personally would stick with a spot ;)
And yea the E2DL has been tested OVER 200lm so you are probably wise leaving it stock. Now the C3 with a flood beam would be nice for alot of other applications.