Got My Very First Fenix Flashlight Today

Got the L2D from 4Sevens.com in the mail today.

I have to admit, at first I was like, "meh, what's the big deal?" I turned it on in my car in the daylight and thought, "seems like just another flashlight."

It wasn't until I started comparing it to my maglites, dorcy's, rayovacs, nightfires and other assorted Walmart/Target brands that I realized how awesome it is.

Beam first of all...never seen such a clean circle of light in my life. I had no idea there could be a beam like that.

Second I was unimpressed at first with the high mode and then I tightened the cap and went into TURBO. Very happy. The strobe I could do without, but the rest I am very happy with.

I think I might order a second one since they're on sale. Hmmmm...

Anyhow, can you guys let me into the Sacred Order of Light Temple now? I can repeat the SOL cree by heart:

I do swear not buy another maglite.

I do swear not to take the name of Fenix in vain.

I do swear not to buy cheap knockoffs to save a few bucks.

I do swear to eventually own at least one Surefire.

:laughing:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Glad you're liking the L2D. Don't forget its versatility. Get different bodies for the head, or you can even use one battery and a spacer in a pinch.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P was my first high quality light 3 years ago and it got me hooked. Glad you like your light. There are many more models and brands to check out so be warned.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can remove the maglite line.. lots of mods for them ;)

hehe.. HID maglite.. hotwires, too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Glad you like it!

Maglites, well they are good for hosts(the larger ones), but not so good as stock lights.

Fenix, sure.

The good budget lights are great as loaners for those people who can't understand that your properties are improtant.

As for the last one, I hope to achieve that too (Shocking! I don't have a Surefire!?!?!).

So...

What's next?

A maglite drop-in and/or mod?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip snip>

As for the last one, I hope to achieve that too (Shocking! I don't have a Surefire!?!?!).

Gunner, you still haven't owned a SF yet? That's part of the unwritten flashaholic bucket list. :nana:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Anytime you get a new light, wait until nightfall and then head outdoors to try it out, that's the true test of what any flashlight can really do.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right-a STOCK Maglite is not worth owning-but wait until you see a Mag623!!!Also, a Fenix P3D was the first real light I owned and is still the one I use the most!
buttrock.gif

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Liquidspaceman, the best part about you being so impressed with the L2D is that you are nowhere near the top of the tree. You have a whole redwood of flashlights to climb, and they're just going to get brighter. Prepare to be dazzled!
:faint:

325addict

Enlightened
Upon the last point I can only agree: you should own at least one SureFire some day :p

My first SF was a C3 Centurion, which is still a great light, even (or should I say: especially?) with the stock incan P90 bulb.
The D26 platform it uses, opens up a whole new world of modification-possibilities: from really powerful Lumens Factory bulbs to blindingly bright Malkoff LED-dropins....
The larger size means you can ditch those crappy RCR123s which, even with AW, never reach their stated capacity... in the C3 you can use two 17500s with 1100mAh capacity.
The second SF was an L1 LumaMax, which is a very useful light, with exactly the right brightness-ratio between the low and high setting. Highly recommended for everyday-inspections on electronics.

Your Fenix is a very well engineered light. It has LOTS of spill and, yes, a quite good throw as well. This combination is really not always there....

Have fun with your Fenix.... just go outside, and try what all three different brightness-settings will give you, then realize what the runtime of each setting is.
DO some experiments in the woods, try to find out what differences there will be between an incan light (of decent to very good quality, maybe someone can lend you a C3) and your new LED-light, as these differences can be significant (I'll give just ONE hint: go into dark AND wet woods... then compare incan to LED-light)!

I'm quite sure you're addicted now.... just the same happened to me after my first Fenix (P1D) and my first SureFire.

I only disagree with the Maglites. I've more than 30 of them, in all varieties, and although they are not especially bright most of them, they are really good in and around the house... sometimes "brightness isn't everything" as another thread here makes very clear :)
The MagCharger is, even without modifications, a very, very useful light. It may be heavy and big, but it will run for 2.5 hours fairly constant on a new 4000mAh NiMH battery. That can't be said from my C3, this one burns through three of those expensive CR123As every hour(!).... still don't have those 17500s, yes I know, it's a shame :crazy:
I compared multiple lights in the woods, the MagCharger was one of the better ones.
Winner however, was a Wolf-Eyes M90 rattlesnake. Just with the standard 9V lamp assembly, drawing 1.3 Amps and two 18650s. This brand should not be forgotten as a high-quality light. I own two now, and I'm very happy with them....

Kind regards,

Timmo.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:welcome: Liquidspaceman, glad to hear that you've cracked the seal on your new can of Flashoholism. This is only the beginning of a new world and just wait until you get into throwers, ROP's and, into what appears to be the most intimidating but amazing world of custom mods and builds.

Anyhow, can you guys let me into the Sacred Order of Light Temple now? I can repeat the SOL cree by heart:

I do swear not buy another maglite.

I do swear not to take the name of Fenix in vain.

I do swear not to buy cheap knockoffs to save a few bucks.

I do swear to eventually own at least one Surefire.

:laughing:
While I personally agree with your Fenix and Surefire comments - I started off buying two Surefires, then switched to Fenix - there are so many other lights that are worthy of a Flashoholic's dreams. I also once thought 'cheap knock-off's' were unworthy but have since changed my mind to a certain degree since:
1. They make great gifts for Flashoholic-challenged friends
2. The quality of some replicas are quite surprising... the Solarforce lights come to mind as they are well-made and are great hosts for P60 drop-in's. You just have to be careful and research for the better ones.

Remember, Fenix was once considered to be a manufacturer of cheap, Chinese lights and, while some may still believe so, I think many on this forum believe that they have proven themselves.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Welcome to the "light" Never again will a standard flashlight impress you. A rift is now forming between you and your fellow man. Others will look at you strangely. You will attempt to explain to them the merits of tint, beam shape, throw, and regulated runtime but they won't understand. You will be laughed at....

Until darkness falls.....

Don't knock the mag light. It is an excellent host.

Maglight (barely)

What you can do with a lowly maglight with just a little time on your hands.