E2DL Green ?

sardian

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an E2DL today from a local dealer.

I really like the light and it's super bright but I have a couple of questions.

One: Is it normal for this light to be rather green in tint. Of all the lights I have, this is the only one I can see it being green all by it's self.

Two: Is it normal for the sharp edges to show up in 1/2 the beam? I don't mind so much if they show up, but only 1/2 showing makes me thing something is out of line. (see photos below).

By it's self, see how the sharp edges only show on one side.
RLF_4568.jpg

And here it is next to my olight T25-Tactical. It's pretty white to my eye, the E2DL is rather green. If it's normal to all of the E2DL's then I'm ok with it but if it's not I may be taking it back for another.

I had the camera white balance set to daylight.
RLF_4578.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like normal LED lottery. My Aeon is yellow-greenish as well but I love it. It is much better than the usual angry blue Cree XR-Es...

Burgess

Flashaholic
For what it's worth . . . .

My ZebraLight H50 (Q5) headlamp

has a very noticeable Green tint.

:sigh:

_

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an E2DL a few months back, and it was way too green for my liking, so I called Surefire, told them the problem, and they gave me a return authorization number. I sent it back, and in less than 3 weeks, I got the light back with a near perfect warm white tint, and a whole lot brighter to boot!

Call Surefire. They'll take care of you.

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!!!!!! i had the same question so let me answer yours...on my E2DL only half the edges show up and i thought something was wrong but apparently its normal!!!!!! glad thats cleared up :twothumbs:naughty: and mine is kind of yellowish green so i guess thats normal too! hope that helped! by the way....ITS MY FAVORITE OF ALL THE LIGHTS I OWN!

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2DL is creamy white. No signs of green at all. Almost perfect in temperature. I suggest you return for an exchange.

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
My E2DL is creamy white. No signs of green at all. Almost perfect in temperature. I suggest you return for an exchange.

Its so minimal of a tint (IMO) that i dont think its really worth the hassle of sending it back to SF...plus i cant be without my E2DL for that long...i might get withdrawls...:mecry:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its so minimal of a tint (IMO) that i dont think its really worth the hassle of sending it back to SF...plus i cant be without my E2DL for that long...i might get withdrawls...:mecry:

Looking at the second pic, I think the green tint is horrible, unless the camera accentuated the "green-ness". I think if you exchange for a E2DL for what it should be in the first place, you'll be glad you did it. As for withdrawals, I'm sure there're other lights you're interested right now.... :naughty:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sardian

I have one L1 that is green too. Terrible!
It doesn´t affect outdoor use. You only see the greenish tint while hunting white walls...

But I understand you pain... hehe. It´s was hard for me to accept a 160 dollars light with a green tint, but you´ll get used to it.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very recently I have aquired an E2DL, L1, L2, and an E2L. All except the L2 have a green tint. Tint variation is normal. All LEDs have some tint, none are really pure white. Of all the LED lights I have owned I could always see a tint to them, even if they appeared very white by themselves you can compare them against other samples you have on a white wall to reveal their "true" tint. ;) The reason some people see some tint more than others depends on your color perception. Everyone precieves color differently. Personally, I like an LED to slightly favor green or maybe yellow. I don't like an LED to favor purple, pink or blue. Those tints really "jump out" at me. Whereas green looks nothing like the angry blue LEDs I remember from the early luxeon days. :)

It is true though that some LEDs more heavily favor one or the other tint. So if yours is horribly green than you can contact Surefire for a replacement.

Also, all of my TIR Surefires seem to be slightly off center. No big deal to me.

1996alnl

Enlightened
My E2DL's tint is more on the warm yellowish side,the low setting looks a bit green.
However when i use it outside it looks much better than most of my lights. The color redention is amazing especially when i light up trees and so forth.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think green is much preferable to almost any other tint and IMHO yellow & green work well outdoors improving depth perception. It's purple and blue (plus to a much lesser extent pink, which is a little more red) that really bother me and lead to headaches after an hour's use. I think SF is avoiding the really offensive tints or maybe Cree is shifting tints themselves...??
I actually prefer a little yellow or green to 'pure' white since in daylight the purest white will show some offensive cool blue or purple tint.
...Personally, I like an LED to slightly favor green or maybe yellow. I don't like an LED to favor purple, pink or blue. Those tints really "jump out" at me. Whereas green looks nothing like the angry blue LEDs I remember from the early luxeon days.

sardian

Newly Enlightened
Well, I took the "green" one back and exchanged it.

Although the new one has a slight warm (yellow?) tint around it's outer ring I find it much more neutral. Not near as green as the first.

Also, the light is centered out the front now.

Although it has less spill compared to some of my other lights (M20, TK11), it's hard to believe this E2DL is only 120 lu.

I used the new one at work today. I changed some elements in a 120 gal water heater and held the E2DL in my arm pit on high. I must say this thing gets hotter than any other light I have used in the old under the arm method.....I could almost smell hair burning :D ....well not really, but it was hot.

Even hot, I can see myself really liking this light. I'm going to make it a daily user (along with about 3 others). Once I get the new off of it I'll most likely do like many others and try AW RCR's. Withstanding frying it's insides, I can see it getting even hotter....I better get me a fire proof arm pit :D If the CR123's hold up as advertised I may stick with them but I really like using rechargables.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I took the "green" one back and exchanged it.

Although the new one has a slight warm (yellow?) tint around it's outer ring I find it much more neutral. Not near as green as the first.

Also, the light is centered out the front now.

Although it has less spill compared to some of my other lights (M20, TK11), it's hard to believe this E2DL is only 120 lu.

I used the new one at work today. I changed some elements in a 120 gal water heater and held the E2DL in my arm pit on high. I must say this thing gets hotter than any other light I have used in the old under the arm method.....I could almost smell hair burning :D ....well not really, but it was hot.

Even hot, I can see myself really liking this light. I'm going to make it a daily user (along with about 3 others). Once I get the new off of it I'll most likely do like many others and try AW RCR's. Withstanding frying it's insides, I can see it getting even hotter....I better get me a fire proof arm pit :D If the CR123's hold up as advertised I may stick with them but I really like using rechargables.

MrGman tested the E2DL at 200 lumens.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
My KX2 head has a greenish tint. Not any more than many of my other LED lights, but its there. Nice to know that Surefire will replace your light if its just too green to stand.

sardian

Newly Enlightened
My KX2 head has a greenish tint. Not any more than many of my other LED lights, but its there. Nice to know that Surefire will replace your light if its just too green to stand.

I exchanged mine at the local dealer I bought it from. I buy so much stuff in there he didn't mind at all.