Surefire E2DL Problem

lockheed123

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire E2DL.

The two different brightness settings seem to switch whenever I hit it against a hard surface without having to depress the clickie. For example, I'm in high mode setting, if I hit the bezel or clickie end against the table it will suddenly switch to the low mode setting.

Hitting the clickie end against my palm also causes the same switching problem. I'm sure that it's not me accidently depressing the clickie either. It also takes a moderate amount of impact to change the settings. Just tapping it won't do.

Is this problem inherent or normal in this model or have I got a faulty one?
It sure dosen't seem ideal to have a flashlight changing modes involuntarily like that..

Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Carpenter

Enlightened
Easy answer.. Call SureFire today. Let them know you have a faulty E2DL tailcap. They will send you a new one.

SureFire Customer Service (if you live in the states) is very good and quick. :thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is inherent.

Hence, not many bought it for rifle mount. One speculation is that upon recoil or any hard knock, the battery disconnects from the contacts momentarily, hence the light will take it as switching modes. :shrug: This has been discussed in other threads before. :) You can contact Surefire anyway, they should either be informed or reminded of this "feature" and hopefully, an improved version will be rolled out in the future.

Having said that, it's still one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
This also happens with drop-in modules like those for SF compatible lights that take the P60, Wolf-Eyes multi-mode lights, etc. Not surprising it happens with a light that only has one spring holding the batteries against the positive contact, since it happens with those that have springs on both ends, too.
I doubt there's anything wrong with your light.
Like Zeruel said, a short loss of contact due to the jolt can cause the light to switch modes. I've actually used a jerk of the wrist as a reliable method of switching modes with a drop-in in a SF body. Battery length probably plays some role, too, since shorter batteries or say, some 17670s or 18650s in some 2x123 lights, may allow more room for movement.
'Course I found out by accident the same way you did.

lockheed123

Newly Enlightened
I was about to contact Surefire as well....

As there seems to be a good explanation for this, I think I might just keep it the way it is.

I'll inform Surefire of this apparently normal problem anyway, they might get pushed into doing something about it if enough people mention it.:poke:

MaineChuck

Newly Enlightened
I recently discovered the same problem with my E2DL, however, I've been pretty busy lately and didn't think to research the issue on CPF(stupid me:eek:) I e-mailed Surefire with the problem, they wasted no time getting me a return authorization. They seemed to want that light back. No sweat though, I know I'm in good hands!:)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly would not call it inherent. I can smack mine very hard and it's not switching modes.

Update: after reading the other thread I guess it's more common than I thought. I'm using SF batteries with no problems.

Last edited:

ja10

Enlightened
No matter what I try with stretching the spring or even different tail caps, my E2DL does the same thing. I spent quite a while on the phone with SureFire about it, and they said it is just a design issue, and some lights have more of an issue than others.

It isn't a big deal though, since I don't have it mounted to a rifle ... just a minor annoyance.