Ups problem. What do I do?

addictedmatt

Enlightened
I keep getting packages delivered to my house for the previous owner. I have lived here for two years now, and tonight I had a giant piece of furniture left on my doorstep. I smashed my finger bringing it inside, and I'm a little annoyed :mad:. Usually I call the guy up, and schedule a time for him to pick it up, then he just shows up whenever he feels like it. This time, I can't find his number, and quite frankly I don't feel like I should have to put forth the effort to track him down. I checked the ups site to see if I could return it, but I couldn't seem to find an answer. Thanks for any help you can give me, and my apologies for the rant.:thumbsup:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a big deal if its a small package here and there but if this is an ongoing frequent problem then I think you've been considerate enough. Can you not refuse delivery for the packages since they are not addressed to you? (If you get any packages from Don McLeish please forward them to me :nana:)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep them for yourself :thumbsup: freebies

addictedmatt

Enlightened
Haha. I unfortunately have never received a package from Don. Maybe one day I will enjoy that experience.:D The package I received today is huge. 4 feet tall and weighs 53.9 lbs. That's what drove me nuts, and I would have loved to refuse it but he rang the bell and took off. I don't want the ottoman, it doesn't match my stuff. I guess I will be free storage until I'm contacted for it, as it had a tracking number. I have nothing against the guy, he's nice enough. Oh well, I guess I have cooled down now.:thumbsup:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find the packing slip and contact the vendor he bought the furniture from; tell them what happened and have them call him. Are his packages coming to your house from a regular supplier, someone that automatically ships so much product to him every month or whatever? Or is he giving YOUR address to different vendors every time, instead of his own?

I'm sure there's some legal something or other about items abandoned on your property for more than 30 days or whatever, might look into that.

Failing that...............if you didn't sign for it and it was just left on your doorstep, then there's no proof it was delivered to YOU and not stolen by someone else before you got it. Just keep it and say no I didn't get it. He'll remember the right address soon enough.

:buddies:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Hi addicted,
Corner your driver, make sure he understands the problem, and get his cell phone number for future problems. Then, call the UPS 800 number and inform them of the problem and tell them you will not be responsible for any more erantly delivered items. Try to contact the intended recipient and push him to rectify the problem with his vendors. From then on you should not feel responsible for any more "problems".

With regard to keeping the goods, this may interest you. A package of wholesale women's clothing intended for my store was delivered in error by UPS to an adjacent children's store. That was the last anyone admits to seeing my $3000 worth of goods. The employee who signed for the box claimed the owner walked to her car with it that afternoon after saying she would "take care of it". The children's store owner says what box? And "don't bother me, just file an insurance claim". Police were less than interested in writing a report and I had to push the chief to make that happen. UPS sent an investigator but I had to raise the roof for several weeks to make that happen. The UPS station manager was less than helpful and actually lied to me in an attempt to get me to back off. She is now under UPS investigation. Despite all the "investigations", no action has been taken against any of the players and for all intents and purposes, I've lost $6000 in sales. Fortunately I paid for the goods with my AMEX card and AMEX ultimately honored my protest (after 3 denials, I was able to clarify the situation by speaking with someone in fraud dept). So my original purchase price was refunded and my best vendor, who under insured the box, took the loss.