Nite-Ize Luxeon Upgrade

gunga

Flashaholic
Depends on the price. There are better upgrades (for more power, you can try terralux K2 or seoul/cree inserts, for longer runtime you can try SMJ inserts).

In any case, I have a couple of these, they are excellent upgrades for non-flashaholics. You can even seoul mod it for more output (I have not gotten to that yet) but they are still good in stock form.

Bruce B

Enlightened
Depends on the price. There are better upgrades (for more power, you can try terralux K2 or seoul/cree inserts, for longer runtime you can try SMJ inserts).

In any case, I have a couple of these, they are excellent upgrades for non-flashaholics. You can even seoul mod it for more output (I have not gotten to that yet) but they are still good in stock form.

She would qualify as a non-flashaholic, so I think this would be the perfect route for her being as she wants a reliable light that is pink in color.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, she will love it. YOu could even get it with a tailswitch of some kind too. The Nite-Ize IQ is not bad with this insert, tho a simpler 1 mode switch might be better (Kroll, Terralux).

Bruce B

Enlightened
She's an RN and a volunteer EMT in her hometown, so I figured it might come in handy for her. Besides she really dislikes the shake-light she has. :shakehead

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yowsa!

She relies on a shakelight, currently! She will be blown away by the MM upgrade - good call on a tailswitch too.

You are a true Gent.

travelinman

Enlightened
Definitely get her the tailswitch! She should even appreciate the IQ tail switch (5 modes). My wife loves it. I taped the head though, makes it simpler to use.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of those upgrades on some Minimags.

I have no complaints with them.

Cheap and easy upgrade that you can get at many stores.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I have a couple of those upgrades on some Minimags.

I have no complaints with them.

Cheap and easy upgrade that you can get at many stores.

That's what I am going to be getting as her drop-in. Easily replaceable if it fails by visiting her local Wally World.

Last edited:

H.Roark

Newly Enlightened
I installed one in the Minimag I keep in my car. I was completely amazed at the increase in output and the white tint compared to the sad yellow of the incan (batteries were getting low). I bought it with the IQ tailswitch. I think it is a nice upgrade.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Is this a Brand-New item ?

If so, then why are they using Luxeon I emitters ? ? ?

:confused:

_

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
See https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173830 on this.

I have a 3-led upgrade (Walmart for $6 or $7), which I like better then the minimag bulb (in fact, I bought the minimag so I could buy the 3-led insert). I got a few more; I made a little bedside light that runs on a 3-led and a D cell which I use all the time and love.

The 1 Watt, for $15 from http://store.niteize.com/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=bbca3c5b0842e3fac0b0ff8689fd6369 ($20 witht eh switch) should be good.
http://www.zbattery.com/Nite-Ize-1W-LED-Upgrade-IQ-Switch-for-AA-Mini-Mag-WHITE?leadsource=37 sells the combo for $17.

Skidmark6

Newly Enlightened
Stay away from the IQ tail switch, I played with it for 5 minutes and it broke. It was funky anyway, too much trouble for what it does. The 1 watt drop in and the 3 led dropin are both nice (1 watt is a little brighter, but the 3 led has nice spill), not super bright but way better than the stock bulb. Nitize also sells plain clicky switches, those are handy.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Is this a Brand-New item ?

If so, then why are they using Luxeon I emitters ? ? ?

:confused:

_

The Nite Ize MiniMag 1 Watt drop in isn't new, it's been out for awhile now. At least a year, I think? Can't remember.

The 1 Watt PR drop in for C and D cells hadn't shown up in stores until recently. It's not a Luxeon... It's not really identifiable so far actually. Not as bright as a Cree, and probably not as efficient either, but there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
I've had my single LED upgrade with the IQ switch for over a year now. I love it as it's not to bright and is my grass roots to the long wallet draining adventure of flashaholicism. Mine has never failed (as long as the batteries are charged) and makes a standard incan look like church candle. Got mine from Harbor Freight for under $10.

travelinman

Enlightened
Skidmark6....You must have gotten a dud then, I'dve sent it back. I've got 2 IQ switches working on AA's, one on the 3 led upgrade, and the other on one of the first single led's. Both have worked for a couple of years on the rigors of multi week trips to 3rd world countries with no problem. I just didn't know if they would handle the newest luxeon "extreme" upgrade.

I wouldn't mind experimenting with the newer upgrade for my minimags.

btw...I've "graduated" to an ITP C9/7 combo which will be my new travelling EDC light :twothumbs

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
I'd get one. Went to Fry's today and got the module for $12

The best advantage this has over the incan is actually the lack of rings that the incan had. My minimag has been sitting around a cup on my desk for a few years now (I bought it at least 6 or 7 years ago). Now I can put it in my car as an emergency light!

Just to say though, if you were buying a new minimag just to put this in, there are options out there that are better for a little more money.

To me, I don't think it's worth $12, but on the other hand, $12 is about how much you spend on a meal at a cheap-middle priced restaurant anyway, and I had a minimag lying around, so for me, it was a good choice.

I was going to take it back since I bought it mostly for experimenting, but seeing as how it takes me 30 minutes to get to Fry's and costs about 4 bucks in gas... I'll be happy with it.

Will try it out in the dark, if it's acceptable then i'm keeping it

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get one. Went to Fry's today and got the module for $12

The best advantage this has over the incan is actually the lack of rings that the incan had. My minimag has been sitting around a cup on my desk for a few years now (I bought it at least 6 or 7 years ago). Now I can put it in my car as an emergency light!

Just to say though, if you were buying a new minimag just to put this in, there are options out there that are better for a little more money.

To me, I don't think it's worth $12, but on the other hand, $12 is about how much you spend on a meal at a cheap-middle priced restaurant anyway, and I had a minimag lying around, so for me, it was a good choice.

I was going to take it back since I bought it mostly for experimenting, but seeing as how it takes me 30 minutes to get to Fry's and costs about 4 bucks in gas... I'll be happy with it.

Will try it out in the dark, if it's acceptable then i'm keeping it

+1

Bought one to adapt my mom's bedside Minimag. She's blown three lamps in three years. I don't like the IQ tailswitch at all and Mom would be pretty blunt if I got her that, "I don't need all that fancy crap"

(I bought her the LED Minimag last year she didn't like it. The tailcap is different and there was no place to attach her tritium keyring. She loves that constant tritium glow to find her flashlight)

I was impressed and bough a couple more to convert the rest of my mini-mags. I have other conversions. Most are lots more expensive, where you modify the flashlight. They are not worth the extra money or effort for a non-flashaholic's light.