Coleman 2aa vs. Maglite 2aa multimode

rockz4532

Enlightened
I've had the Coleman, but you'll have a hard time finding that new multimode mag. The Coleman is very very strong, very thick walls, and I've beaten mine up pretty bad, and it still works. The brightness is astonishing for a 25 dollar B&M light. The regulation is less than great though, on a set of fresh duracells, the brightness is constantly declining. Also the switch sometimes fails on mine, it will work 10 clicks, then nothing for 5 clicks. It can be modded, but I've gotten mine scratched up pretty bad from opening the glued head. Almost as frustrating as Nuwai's lights. If you want some pictures of the disassembled light, just tell me.

Hope I helped!
:welcome:

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info on your experience with the Coleman. I like the fact that has a cree in it and that is does seem like solid construction. In my city the Maglite multimode is readily available at the local Target store and the price is the same as the Coleman.
Can someone that owns the Maglite tell me if the brightness is good/great and the switch works well?

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Thanks for the info on your experience with the Coleman. I like the fact that has a cree in it and that is does seem like solid construction. In my city the Maglite multimode is readily available at the local Target store and the price is the same as the Coleman.
Can someone that owns the Maglite tell me if the brightness is good/great and the switch works well?

I have both. Personally I would vote for the Coleman, but there might be certain cases where someone might preffer the Multi-mode MiniMag.

I think the Coleman's fixed focus beam pattern is more useful overall than the MiniMag's adjustable focus.

The Coleman is brighter overall, and one of the reasons for that is the design of the MiniMag's reflector; a lot of light is lost behind the reflector, and even more light is lost when focusing to a spot, since it moves further away from the LED in spot position.

Having the low mode could be a nice feature, but the 2 extra flashing modes just get in the way. While the switch UI reset to come on in High mode after being turned OFF for about a second, it doesn't default to High after being ON for any period of time, meaning that if you've been walking around with it on Low for awhile and want to switch to High QUICKLY to see if something is following you in the darkness, you have to twist it 3 times to cycle through the 2 flashing modes to get back to High.

Also, I don't think the flashing modes are ideal for typical traffic/safety/attention getting/ warning purposes. The slow flash is a very short flash of light at a pretty wide interval; I would prefer something a tiny bit faster for safety purposes. And the SOS mode isn't really appropriate for non-emergency use.

However, at least Mag fixed that lack of moonmode that was present in the old Lux III version of the 2xAA.

The Coleman is a good light, except for the switch being flickery at times when first switching it on or using in momentary. Mine hasn't failed so far, but it is a possible weakness to be aware of.

fishx65

Enlightened
Like GPB says, I would consider that Energizer at Target. They have the 2aa that says 21 times brighter on it. I have the 2aa River Rock Camo version and it's a very solid torch. The Energizer lights are usually rebranded Nuwai's and are made of really thick aluminum. Also the 1aa Energizer Cree at Target is a pretty darn good light with nice throw.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Like GPB says, I would consider that Energizer at Target. They have the 2aa that says 21 times brighter on it. I have the 2aa River Rock Camo version and it's a very solid torch. The Energizer lights are usually rebranded Nuwai's and are made of really thick aluminum. Also the 1aa Energizer Cree at Target is a pretty darn good light with nice throw.

Yeah, some of the Energizers are pretty nice too. The main issue with the 1xAA is the VERY sensitive tailswitch, but I think someone posted instructions on a simple mod for the switch, just involves cutting part of the rubber part inside the switch. The newest version is a Cree XR-C, not XR-E, but people have still reported improved output over the Luxeon version.

The 2xAA "1 watt" and "3 watt" Energizers originally used Lux I's and III's, and have started using Rebels, though presumably low-binned. I have the "3 watt" Rebel version, and it seems to put out more light than the Rebel Minimag. The Energizer has a better combination of wider spill and a powerful hotspot. Although not as sensitive as the 1xAA tail switch, its reverse clicky is still pretty easy to activate. However, I'm guessing you could trim the inside of the rubber button the same way if you wanted to. Also, If you have a spare River Rock 1xAA 1 Watt tailcap lying around, it will fit the Energizer 2xAA and allow it to tail stand (although the Energizer tailcap won't fit the River Rock).

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I have both also and while I like the Maglite the twist on off drives me nuts, I looked into a click switch and tried all the upgrade ones but the new maglite uses a different cap (the spring is heavy and longer) I can't find a replacement.

dexter49

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, some of the Energizers are pretty nice too. The main issue with the 1xAA is the VERY sensitive tailswitch, but I think someone posted instructions on a simple mod for the switch, just involves cutting part of the rubber part inside the switch. The newest version is a Cree XR-C, not XR-E, but people have still reported improved output over the Luxeon version.

The 2xAA "1 watt" and "3 watt" Energizers originally used Lux I's and III's, and have started using Rebels, though presumably low-binned. I have the "3 watt" Rebel version, and it seems to put out more light than the Rebel Minimag. The Energizer has a better combination of wider spill and a powerful hotspot. Although not as sensitive as the 1xAA tail switch, its reverse clicky is still pretty easy to activate. However, I'm guessing you could trim the inside of the rubber button the same way if you wanted to. Also, If you have a spare River Rock 1xAA 1 Watt tailcap lying around, it will fit the Energizer 2xAA and allow it to tail stand (although the Energizer tailcap won't fit the River Rock).

An alternative solution to solve the VERY sensitive switch on the Energizer 1AA...

Disassemble the switch by unscrewing the switch body as stated in another thread. Instead of cutting off the switch actuator, make a spacer out of 3/8" inside diameter (1/2 " outside) clear tubing using the razor blade. The spacer needs to be about 1/16" thick. After removing the switch, place this on the actuator end and reassemble until snug.

This causes the actuator to be recessed so the switch must be depressed further and is not so sensitive, and it is also completely reversible. By trial and error, the thickness of the spacer can be adjusted until you find the optimum switch action for your own personal tastes.

I have done this to two lights and can now carry them without problems.

The tubing can be found at Home Depot or Lowes, and there are probably other items that might be used for the spacer.

Latest posts