Cree options for ~17mm reflector/optic?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to put 5A emitters in a Longbow and original KL1. Unlike Seoul P4s, am not finding either drop-in reflectors or optics made for Crees, or reflectors that look to be easily modded since they're all a lot deeper than the lights can take(haven't used a Cree before, so may just not know where to look).

High CRI P4 doesn't seem to have the lumens per watt that I want.
Does anyone have a solution for using a Cree?
Otherwise, a more traditionally binned P4 like the U2SWOH with a Khatod reflector will be simple, but I'm kind of hung up on the 5A tint.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know an IMS would work with a Cree. Anybody got beamshots of how that does? If the IMS works, why not the McR18? I've got both of those on hand.
That McR17 XR-E-are you saying you shave ~5mm off to get it down to 12mm OAL?

Greg G

Enlightened
A possibility is a Fraen for the XR-E. They're bigger than 17mm but have room to be reduced in diameter. They're shorter than the McR17. I don't have any in front of me or I'd give you measurements.

Maybe a search would turn up a thread with the height and width.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know an IMS would work with a Cree. Anybody got beamshots of how that does? If the IMS works, why not the McR18? I've got both of those on hand.
That McR17 XR-E-are you saying you shave ~5mm off to get it down to 12mm OAL?

You didn't say that you needed it 12mm long....

The McR18 is not made for Crees. You need one with the "XR" in it for Crees

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't say that you needed it 12mm long....

The McR18 is not made for Crees. You need one with the "XR" in it for Crees
You linked to a IMS S017XA, which is interchangeable with a McR18 in these lights, which according to its specs is .472"/12mm which is why I asked.
The IMS 17, McR18, and optics like the NX05, Fraen LP, etc. are a drop-in fit for the Micra and original KL1.
I'll have to use a reflector or optic of similar dimensions, or be able to be cut down a reflector to match them.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just used those 18 x 12mm reflectors on a build
and they come out pretty nice.
Not bad considering the money you pay for them :thumbsup:

steve6690

Enlightened
A possibility is a Fraen for the XR-E. They're bigger than 17mm but have room to be reduced in diameter. They're shorter than the McR17. I don't have any in front of me or I'd give you measurements.

Maybe a search would turn up a thread with the height and width.

The Fraen are 19mm diameter but can be clipped down to 17mm no problem. I had to do this to fit 7 in an MR16 housing. I used some nippers to do it and the results were excellent. I also filed down some of the dx 18.5mm reflectors to fit and if anything they were better, giving a tighter hotspot and lots of spill. The dx also come in a smooth version but there is no real difference between the beam vs the op version.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
What gen KL1 are you using?

The Older Ribbed style will take an McR18 reflector.

The Newer KL1 will accept an McR20.

The Cree actually fucus' very well with the McR20S reflector. Darkzero says he has done something to the opening (I Think) to help it focus well
I personally have an Aleph 2 Bezel that uses the McR20S relflector. I use a Cree Q3 5A light engine screwed in far enough that the cree works very well in my instance.
I used a plastic disc to isolate any contact problems I would have had to worry about.
Without it, I think it may short out..maybe.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 1st generation KL1. I've got the IMS17 and McR18 that I've used with Luxeons.
If the Cree works with a McR20S, I suppose I could sand down the McR18 into a McR18S, but since I've already got those other reflectors on the way, not sure I should fool with it.
Miss my Alephs. My only enduring case of seller's remorse:(