Why not more headlamps?

shrap

Enlightened
Headlamps seem to be superior to flashlights for actually doing stuff, instead of just looking at things. I just remembered how hard it was to hold and read a book with just one hand. For other tasks in the dark, a headlamp would be much more useful than a hand-held light.

But why don't we like headlamps?

My guesses:

Not bright enough
Not interesting enough (no new technology)
Make you look like a mountain climber/rescue worker
Don't fit in pocket too well

and the best reason:

Surefire doesn't make one

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I like and prefer headlamps but when headlamp topics are posted they die quickly. I own at least 6 and have yet to find one with anything close to a SF beam. If one of or wonderful modders would make a headstrap with batt. holder that would allow me to put an M2 or M3/C3/ turbo head securely on it I would be in heaven. Last season I used mainly the Sportsmans Guide Night Blaster (advertized at 80,000 CP(yeah, right)) when I'm hunting, but its got a really crappy, ringy, beam with lots of holes. My new favorite for everything else is my E2E and a Nitize Minimag headstrap.
If I ever hear of a UBH being offered I'll get one and make a like like This_is_nascar's small 200 lumen 3 cell lite.

paulr

Flashaholic
You really want a headlamp with 20 minutes runtime?

Someone a while back put an A19 cell extender and G2Z pyrex lensed bezel onto a G2, then installed a P91 lamp. That should be a bit lighter than a 9P or current equivalent, and might fit in your Nightize.

Any of those rigs would probably get awfully hot as a headlamp!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 2 headlamps and they are indeed great! Nothing too special or exotic, or even very bright. I have a versalight one which is only so so and the Energizer focused white/red one. only 2 white LED's but the focusing lenses work very well and it's a very solid nice piece of gear. I recommend it.

I don't generally wear them out to the mall though, people look at you funny...

For 2 handed jobs nothing is better!

Blikbok

Enlightened
Most of the time I need a light, I need my hands free. And when I need my hands free, I need a white light. So while I have only one headlamp, I agree we need more variety. I also appreciate the clip on the CMG and ARC AAA, so I can tack it to a ballcap.

Also, many headlamps are purpose designed for climbing, caving, etc. In those cases, few other lights will do-- sometimes you are holding on tightly with both hands....

obeck

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shrap said:
Headlamps seem to be superior to flashlights for actually doing stuff, instead of just looking at things. I just remembered how hard it was to hold and read a book with just one hand. For other tasks in the dark, a headlamp would be much more useful than a hand-held light.

But why don't we like headlamps?

My guesses:

Not bright enough
Not interesting enough (no new technology)
Make you look like a mountain climber/rescue worker
Don't fit in pocket too well

and the best reason:

Surefire doesn't make one

[/ QUOTE ]

How about: No need for a constant beam of light going everywhere you look in the dark during casual dark events? If you are caving, you NEED a constant beam of light. If you
are walking about at night, you can usually get by with night vision and ambient light. If you are cooking in camp, a constant beam of light is nice.

When you use a headlamp, it is a hassle to switch it on and off like you can a pocket flashlight.
When you use a headlamp, everyone else knows what you are looking at unless you look at things in the dark through the corner of your eye.
When you use a headlamp, it leaves a big red spot in the center of your forehead unless you wear it over a hat.
When you use a headlamp, the bugs zero-in on your head.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Paulr, I was going to use a turbo head with the smallest lamp that'll run in it, I'm not trying for 500 lumens but more throw. I don't need all the "useful" corona, I want a white light that will show antlers at 150 yards without wieghing as much as my rechargable 1.5 million CP spotlight.
Obeck, in a wheelchair at the deer lease you DO want the light to go everyewhere you look. I am looking into some HID bike lights to mount on my chair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif to see where I'm going,(lots of holes and rocks) powering these is not an issue as I have 2 12 volt deep cycle gel cells on this chair. The headlamp will then be just for looking around.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Most of the time I need a light, I need my hands free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are a couple of good examples /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fc18fcdc.jpg

fc18fcd9.jpg

BTW, that headlamp in both photos puts out around 44 lm/W at an input of 3W before reflector and bezel losses. Uses HCFL technology.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:

Obeck, in a wheelchair at the deer lease you DO want the light to go everyewhere you look.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is a perfectly good reason to have one. But the topic was "why not more headlamps?", and I gave
some perfectly valid reasons that are valid for some people under some conditions and aren't valid at all for
other people under different conditions.

If you are winter camping, you obviously dont have to worry about picking bugs out of your teeth due to a headlamp.
If your head is hot and sweaty because it is 82 and the humidity is 99%, you might not want to put that thing on your head.
Or... maybe you did wear it when sweaty and it has begun to smell like it at the end of the trip. You gonna' stick it on your head after washing up? I carry a "clean" baseball cap and a "dirty" baseball cap for similar reasons.
If you need light only intermittantly (really, the biggest reason....) you might not want a headlamp up there all the time.

Sometimes you use a carpenters hammer and sometimes a ballpin hammer and sometimes a rubber mallet because the situation requires a
specific tool. A headlamp is a specific tool for a specific situation, but there are a lot fewer situations that call for a headlamp over a normal flashlight. Thats "why not more headlamps"

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno why I was never interested in headlamps. Last power outage made me a believer in headlamps, and since I got my Aurora, I've found that I grab it over my other lights in a number of situations. Still, with the strap and all, it's not convenient to carry, so it's not remotely an EDC type of thing. But for a number of task-specific purposes, headlamps are great.

Joe

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I didn't mean to offend and yes different tools for different jobs. Thats why there's 1000's of lighting tools available. Back on topic, I to have noticed this section of CPF is General flashlight and headlamp discussion but there's not that much on headlamps discussed.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've began to notice the Tikkas and other LED headlamps in the stores, and am almost convinced to buy.

But most of the time a headlamp will be used by me is to read in bed, and a Niteize headstrap with an Opalec might be the best for me...

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:
Back on topic, I to have noticed this section of CPF is General flashlight and headlamp discussion but there's not that much on headlamps discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just today, someone was lamenting this in another post

HERE

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I've posted on this issue before.

As an avid hiker who often has to and always likes to hike at night, I've owned many headlamps over the years.

I think the main reason there is not more discussion here has been touched upon--there is not much new or exciting in the world of headlamps. Without getting too exotic (Action Light) there are a couple exceptions: Black Diamond and Lighting Pro offer regulated headlamps, and some of the Black Diamond models offer a choice between LED and Halogen illumination.

What I am waiting for is something like a KL1 head mated to something like a Princeton Tec Solo (2 AAs or 2-3 CR123s). If it had high and low beam settings (about as bright as a KL1 and Opalec Newbeam, respectively) that would be ideal.

For the time being, I'll make do by clipping my E2o/KL1 or ARC AAA to my baseball cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just recently started getting into headlamps a little more, and for certain tasks, they are invaluable. The Petzyl Zipka is a great light duty headlamp that is incredibly tiny, and is good for reading at night, or other light duty tasks, and not having the headband flopping around makes it much easier to carry in a pocket.

Several days this week, I've had to mow the lawn after dark, and I used a Pelican headlamp with LED's and an incan bulb. Worked absolutely great. I could see plenty well to mow (not a riding mower), even in pitch dark conditions.

-Keith

StuU

Enlightened
Headlamps are invaluable for doing manual tasks such as doing home renovation work or major auto repairs. We live the self-sufficient life in the country and the headlamp is a daily tool. A regular flashlight occupies half of you holding power when doing work at night.

Some specific uses are rewiring a room in an old house, working in tight attic spaces, replacing auto starters or brake lines, plumbing work in a dark basement, soldering up a flashlight mod with both hands occupied etc. In other words, headlamp is most valuable when you are doing a job that needs both hands and your total attention.

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
I have a few, and whenever I use them with other people around, I always catch some crap about it. What's funny is that as soon as anyone tries it, they think it's great. But they never buy one, and the next time they see me using one it's the crap all over again. I think some people just feel silly using them - they can't get past feeling like they look stupid. I'll take looking stupid over slobbering on a flashlight in my teeth any time ;-)

I used to like my Petzls, but after the new PT Aurora the Zoom and Micro are history. Crappy beams, short battery life, heavy. I am now lusting a bit after one of the black diamonds, but the PT Aurora would probably serve fine for all my uses. Most of the time when I'm using a headlamp I'm cooking (either while camping, or on my grill after dark), or reading in bed or while travelling, so I don't need it to be real bright.

shrap

Enlightened
I just remembered - headlights with gigantic water-bottle batteries are standard for nighttime mountain biking. Compared to hiking and camping headlights, the bike headlights are light years ahead in technology.

They have NiMH batteries, fast chargers, soft start, HID, dual lamps, and other things. But these systems are extremely expensive, and usually hard to use without a bike.

See http://www.niterider.com

shrap

Enlightened
Yeah, I always felt silly wearing my Petzl Tikka, so I usually hung it upside down, like a necklace, so that the light would face forward. Works ok as a hands free light, though it doesn't automatically follow your head.