SureFire E1L and A2

jjcavins

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone - new to the forum here. I had no idea a forum like this even existed. I found it while I was searching for something for the A2. I thought I was bad having 5 surefires, jeez I dont even come close to the competition!

I also didn't know that there were mods to surefires I thought they were always just going to be how you bought them...

For the E1L Outdoorsman - is there a way to make it have a tailcap like the Aviator - where I can press it down halfway to have dim and press it all the way to have bright? I'm not sure I like having to get to bright by turning it on and off and on...

For the A2 Aviator - is it possible to remove the ring near the butt that has the hole for the lanyard clevis?

Are there any good mods for either of these flashlights? I noticed milky seems to be a popular guy on here for doing mods.

I was also wondering if it was possible to remove the clip from these flashlights as well?

I am a pilot and I use the red aviator in the cockpit which is great for the nightvision but it is hard to see the color coding on the instruments like red is overspeed and green is perfect temp etc... You kind of have to know what the limits are because you cannot see the color coding... I was thinking about switching my flying flashlight to something else, any ideas? Maybe the aviator with the yellow/green?

I was also looking at the diffuser that goes on the end of the E1L that surefire sells to widen out the beam a bit. Anyone used this on the E1L or any other SF's?

Thanks in advance for all the newb questions....

JJ

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The F04 beam diffuser works really well on my E1L. It creates a nice floody beam ideal for lighting a wider closer area.
How about switching to a programmable light that can go real low. I find using a really low light level (maybe around 0.3 lumens) preferable to using a red light to preserve night vision.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone hasn't said it yet, :welcome:.

There are a whole bunch of knowledgeable Surefire devotees here, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

For the E1L Outdoorsman - is there a way to make it have a tailcap like the Aviator - where I can press it down halfway to have dim and press it all the way to have bright? I'm not sure I like having to get to bright by turning it on and off and on...

You can buy the Surefire L1. It's basically and E1L with an A2 style, two stage tailcap. The L1 is rated at 65 lumens on high and 10 lumens on low. It's a little longer than the E1L but that is suppose to change later this year when the L1 replacement comes out (the LX1). The LX1 is a shorter and brighter version of the L1.

For the A2 Aviator - is it possible to remove the ring near the butt that has the hole for the lanyard clevis?

Yes, it can be removed. Notice that is consists of two pieces. Pry the piece that does not have the eyelet hole for the lanyard attachment.

Seeing a picture of how it snaps together may help:

surefirez60lanyardkit64.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. I have a Y/G A2 and a Kroma Milspec with Y/G LEDs. As a general matter, one of the things I really like about Y/G is the fairly even color rendition. I've never tried it with cockpit lighting, but I bet it'd work very well.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone - new to the forum here. I had no idea a forum like this even existed. I found it while I was searching for something for the A2. I thought I was bad having 5 surefires, jeez I dont even come close to the competition!

I also didn't know that there were mods to surefires I thought they were always just going to be how you bought them...
Thanks in advance for all the newb questions....

JJ

Welcome to CPF. You thought 5 Surefires was "an issue":sssh:, wait until you've heard of "Lummi-Raw", and other exquisite creations.

Congrats on your lucky discovery of CPF

jjcavins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Oddjob I'll try out the diffuser as well. Sounds nice. Maybe Ill look into a surefire with the lowest white light setting for the cockpit....

Thanks to everyone else for the VERY informative threads.

I removed the lanyard ring on the A2 easily with the small blade of a standard Victorinox pocketknife. Probably the first time I have used that in years..... I think I might put it back on and just dremel off the ring because I dont want that groove in the back. I need it on becuase I tie a "Turks Head" knot on the back of all my lights so that I can hold them with my teeth. I cant have the knot secured on there all the way with that deep groove on the back...

By the way I am surprised I have not come across 1 picture or thread about the Turks Head knot... Maybe I just havent been looking.

http://www.animatedknots.com/

I use that website to help me start it when I make them... click on decorative knots and you will see it. I will try to get some pics up with the turks head on my lights...

I removed the clip on my A2 but I didnt like the gap it left from where it connects so I put it back on... I guess I could dremel that off too and just leave the connection on to fill the gap...

Scottaw - the link you sent didnt seem to work to mod the E1L to an A2 type switch....

For the next light I was looking at the L2, L4, E2D led Defender, and E2L outdoorsman... Maybe the Backup too... :) Should I wait on the L2 for the LX2? Will it ever come out?

I also saw a headlamp in the SureFire catalog... is that out yet? I have an older headlamp I use but it might be time to upgrade if SF comes out with one....

OK that was long - more to come

Thanks guys

JJ

Illum

Flashaholic
yes, the procedure for that and the removal of the clip is illustrated here
A2 Tune up thread [caution: lots of pictures]

Are there any good mods for either of these flashlights? I noticed milky seems to be a popular guy on here for doing mods.
you have the option of using a E series xenon bezel and use a variety of Lumen Factory lamps and the option of using rechargeable cells.

the A2 is one of those lights that can be easily distinguished from other lights, for one thing its the only regulated incandescent flashlight in existence by surefire...and its not very supportive of third party mods without some substantial work gutting it out. The only add-on I know for sure is better LED rings than stock [PM Koala for LED ring info]

I am a pilot and I use the red aviator in the cockpit which is great for the nightvision but it is hard to see the color coding on the instruments like red is overspeed and green is perfect temp etc... You kind of have to know what the limits are because you cannot see the color coding... I was thinking about switching my flying flashlight to something else, any ideas? Maybe the aviator with the yellow/green?
the A2's LEDs are somewhat overrated in my opinion, in total darkness maybe the effectiveness in preserving night vision may be justifiable, but for any area where low ambient light is available the "white" LED version would be your best bet, plus the LED rings are much more even.

jjcavins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Illum.

I got a Defender, which I think is my favorite now. Its got a great bright and a decent low (I would like it to be lower though).

I took some pictures of the Turk's head knots I put on the back of the flashlights. I havent seen anyone else do this on here and I am surprised. Is there anyone? I do it mainly so I can hold it with my teeth easier.

With the E2DL Defender and E1L Outdoorsman, I am thinking about selling my Aviator (w red) and my U2 (which has never really been used) I dont think I will ever really use them again....

dsc0075.jpg

dsc0076.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks Oddjob I'll try out the diffuser as well. Sounds nice. Maybe Ill look into a surefire with the lowest white light setting for the cockpit....

Thanks to everyone else for the VERY informative threads.

I removed the lanyard ring on the A2 easily with the small blade of a standard Victorinox pocketknife. Probably the first time I have used that in years..... I think I might put it back on and just dremel off the ring because I dont want that groove in the back. I need it on becuase I tie a "Turks Head" knot on the back of all my lights so that I can hold them with my teeth. I cant have the knot secured on there all the way with that deep groove on the back...

By the way I am surprised I have not come across 1 picture or thread about the Turks Head knot... Maybe I just havent been looking.

http://www.animatedknots.com/

I use that website to help me start it when I make them... click on decorative knots and you will see it. I will try to get some pics up with the turks head on my lights...

I removed the clip on my A2 but I didnt like the gap it left from where it connects so I put it back on... I guess I could dremel that off too and just leave the connection on to fill the gap...

Scottaw - the link you sent didnt seem to work to mod the E1L to an A2 type switch....

For the next light I was looking at the L2, L4, E2D led Defender, and E2L outdoorsman... Maybe the Backup too... :) Should I wait on the L2 for the LX2? Will it ever come out?

I also saw a headlamp in the SureFire catalog... is that out yet? I have an older headlamp I use but it might be time to upgrade if SF comes out with one....

OK that was long - more to come

Thanks guys

JJ

Use google, cpf only at the top of every CPF page. What I got when I googled Turks head knot:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Turks+head+knot&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com

Bill