Preview

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
whatever you do, don't make that post on the dpreveiw forums(digital photography review) I just got some semi threatening e:mail because of my beware post, where a guy claimed that he lost a lot of code on a web page he was doing and I was an idiot and it was all my fault. This being after I apologized publicly on the same forum geeesh.

snuffy

Enlightened
Thanks for the warning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I try not to post these links where they might cause problems. This one is relatively harmless because it only opens a second browser window that you can simply close without any damage.
I guess some people can't take a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Tomas

Banned
While it is amusing, on the one forum that I'm a co-administrator on (far, far from CPF) such a post would cause you a temporary read-only ban for a first offense, and either a temp or permanent complete ban for a second. Third is always a permanent complete ban with no refund (the membership there is more controlled, and we know who the members are - they use a credit card for their dues).

Why would we do that?

The rules members agreed to there include the following:

By participating in any service of __________ Forums, you agree not to:

... attach files or links to messages that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may adversely affect the operation of another's computer ...

Even a "Don't click this link, Ha Ha Ha" warning doesn't protect a member on those forums. In the just over 4 years I've been an assistant in administering there, though, I've only permanently banned one guy who obviously had a severe learning disability (he didn't learn from two temp bans totaling 37 days). Stangely, he was a normally intelligent person - an ER doctor, in fact, and made good posts, but he thought it was fun to repeatedly break the rules and cause problems for others by bombing their browsers, etc.

I find it fascinating, though, when people essentially say, "Yeah, I read the rules and said I would follow them before I was allowed to post, but I don't understand why people are mad at me, and I sure don't understand why I've been banned just because I purposely crashed other people's computers! Gee!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Yeah, some of these things don't cause computers to crash, but purposely disrupting another's use of ANY forum is at the very least an antisocial act. Even putting a .wav file in a post at that other forum will get you shown the door.

Ok, ok!

I'll get off this soapbox!

Here, help me down, eh?

Thanks.

I guess they pushed one of my buttons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry!

tomsig03.gif