Does it ever stop?

yowzer

Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago, I got a D10 to use as an easily pocketable EDC. (It instantly became my brightest light.)

Then last week I got a stainless LD01 for a keychain/backup EDC light.

Now I'm thinking that with all the other stuff on my key ring, that's a bit too big and bulky and maybe something from Lummi might have been a better choice, or even a Petite Killer...

And a Zebralight would be nifty to try out for backpacking trips where I don't need a headlamp with any throw because I won't be on trails at night...

And a TK20 looks like it'd be great as a thrower for nighttime SAR missions (Even though the light I use for that now, a Dorcy 3AAA K2, works more than adequately to back up my BD Icon headlamp).

And I don't really care for the beam pattern of the Riverrock Nightfire 2AA Rebel that's my bedside light (Not to mention it's kind of sad that a single AAA light is brighter than it), but LD20 beamshots look good, or there's the D20, or an ITP C8, or... or... or...

I didn't need another expensive hobby. :broke:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) No, it does not.
2) Your friends/family will think you are crazy.
3) Even if you take time off from CPF, you will eventually return "just to see what is new" and find yourself immersed again.
4) A great way to try out a light for less is on the MP.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had to simply limit myself to a montly or bi-montly light budget. Otherwise, I'd deplete my available funds in no time.

Just start making a list, and buy the next light on the list each month, or every other month. If you have to have a light that's over you montly budget, then you just have to wait another month. Or two. Or three.

You can spend the slow times between purchases deciding you need new and different lights and then add them to the list.

You should be able to keep busy for years on this system.

Just be sure your light budget isn't anywhere near the level of your budget for your S.O., ... or you may find yourself with alot more time and money to spend on lights.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Does anyone else here just get either a Surefire or Dereelight and wait around for newer P60 size drop-ins or pills? My first big light purchase was a CL1H from Deree and I've since gotten two DBS's, a SF 6P, and the new Malkoff host. It's so hard to keep myself from buying lights too, but I just keep telling myself to wait for drop ins or pills. Does anyone else have luck with that approach? :shakehead

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
nope, it never stops. My novatac pretty much stopped my search for a regular edc light, but I have an eagletac for a slightly bigger light, and the E01 on my keychain for the keychain light. Yet I still look all the time and just ordered a Raw NS because I finally couldn't resist anymore.

Same with knives, electronics, gadgets, etc, etc, etc.

yowzer

Enlightened
nope, it never stops. ...

Same with knives, electronics, gadgets, etc, etc, etc.

That's what I figured.

Just how many 3 inch knives do you need? Well, certainly one with a drop point, one wharncliffe, maybe a sheepsfoot, plain and serrated, a few blades made from this steel, a few more from that steel, at least one with a nice-looking handle for formal use... and that's just in that size category. There's bigger and smaller ones too!

Even when you have all the tools you need (And knives and lights are, for me, tools to be used, not things to display), there's always a better or newer one out there... CPF is responsible for a huge leap forward in my understanding of what a good light should be.

(Guess who's ordering a couple of new Spyderco knives today? Among those other expensive hobbies I wasn't going to mention...)

Last edited:

PetaBread

Enlightened
I don't think it'll ever stop while anyone has money, but if your :broke: it'll

slow anyone down a bit.

Also, I believe there are certain lights that can satisfy a person craving

for more, but you I have to find them first.

For instance, my LF3XT has kept me "purchase free" for 2 months

now, but it doesn't mean I won't get more though. :thumbsup:

Especially with Surefire's new line of lights.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure it'll stop, but it won't be permanent. I've taken ocassional breaks where I don't buy any lights for 3 months, but then I come back and buy all the lights that I missed out for 3 months. :devil:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
It's kind of like the Fairy Tale about "The Red Shoes" in which a young girl wants and gets a pair of red dancing shoes but in order to stop dancing, she must cut off her feet because she can't remove the shoes or stop dancing on her own accord. I haven't quite figured out what I will have to cut off in order to stop being so obsessed with flashlights so if you find out before I do, please let me know.

So yeah, you are screwed but :welcome:just the same.

carrot

Flashaholic
It stops when you find your perfect light. Happily I have found mine and I don't have any intentions to increase my collection at this current time besides finding the perfect keychain light and getting a headlamp.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope it will never stop.

I've found my perfect light.. for now.. ND20 :)
figure it'll last me a few weeks.

but..now.. on to the perfect blade..

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can stop if you allow it. I slowly got to the point where I asked, why, to every light I "Had to have". Why that one over one I had already. Soon I found myself becoming satisfied with what I had. With the exception of a couple Covert nosed Photon Freedoms (which did fill a specific need) I have not purchased a new light since last Sept .

sygyzy

Enlightened
1) No, it does not.
2) Your friends/family will think you are crazy.
3) Even if you take time off from CPF, you will eventually return "just to see what is new" and find yourself immersed again.
4) A great way to try out a light for less is on the MP.

This man speaks the truth. The way I operate is I completely immerse myself for about two weeks, spend $300, feel satisfied I am "all caught up" then leave for 6 months and repeat. I am doing that right now actually. It's a bit disheartening to know that your $200 100 lumen light that was all the rage is now replaced by one half the price and twice as bright

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find if you get the right light/lights your buying will decrease. When I started I was buying a lot of decent lights in the $50 -$70 range but then I got a McLux III PD and an HDS EDC U60 XRGT. After getting these two I stopped buying for a while. Today I have a modest collection of high end lights that keep me happy enough that I do not buy every new light that comes along (even though a small part of me wants to). I am also more patient these days and I am not as particular about things as I used to be.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
It stops when you find your perfect light. Happily I have found mine and I don't have any intentions to increase my collection at this current time besides finding the perfect keychain light and getting a headlamp.

Carrot. I'm curious to know what is your perfect light. I think I found the perfect keychain light, which is the Ti Sapphire. It has been on my keychain since the beginning of this week.