Props to Duracell

Argetni

Newly Enlightened
I just called duracell to tell them that a Duracell AAA leaked into my ancient ARC AAA and now it will not work.

They are sending me a coupon for a pack of AAAs and a check for $40 to replace the light.

They do not even want the battery back or to see the damaged light.

Is there anyway to fix the ARC? I tried baking soda and water to remove the gunk but no joy. I also ran a paper clip from the negative and tocuhed it to the threads of the head while pressing the head onto the battery and it will not light. Is the CB dead?

loneranger

Newly Enlightened
That's good to hear from Duracell. I've sent back Maglights that were damaged by leaking Rayovac and Energizer cells. Rayovac required me to send the flashlight to them, but they sent a check that more than covered for the flashlight and postage. They also sent additional batteries. Energizer didn't ask for the flashlight. Their check covered the cost of both the flashlight and replacement batteries.

loneranger

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyway to fix the ARC? I tried baking soda and water to remove the gunk but no joy. I also ran a paper clip from the negative and tocuhed it to the threads of the head while pressing the head onto the battery and it will not light. Is the CB dead?

It's an alkaline battery, so you need to clean it with a mild acidic solution, such as vinegar or lemon juice with water. Baking soda won't do anything.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard having a baking soda & vinegar solution works, too.

dunno.. I had 2AA costco batts get stuck in a minimag
they never came out.. spent quite a few hours.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I had 2AA costco batts get stuck in a minimag
they never came out.. spent quite a few hours.

One trick is to drill a small hole in the battery, then screw in a large...ish tapered screw with wide thread spacing, not all the way down, enough so you can grip the screw head with vice grips or pliers to extract.

PetaBread

Enlightened
I never had any batteries leak on me, but it's good to know Duracell is willing

pay for damages cause by their batts. :thumbsup:

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
I'd say you can always get old cells out, if not by soaking then worst case drill them out in a drill press with a somewhat undersize bit, using a vice, and then pry the edges of the battery away from the flashlight wall. You just have to be careflu not get the caustic gunk all over the place and on you or in your eyes. It's messy, but it can be done.

mangust

Newly Enlightened
I never had any batteries leak on me, but it's good to know Duracell is willing pay for damages cause by their batts. :thumbsup:

I believe it's the official warranty, same as Energizer. Any equipment damaged by leaky batteries will be repaired, replaced, or you get the $ to buy a new one. If batteries ever leak, put them in the ziplock bag and call the battery company.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thats kind of scarry that the two biggest battery makers in north america practically admit to selling a product that is failure prone and destructive. That more than anything else serves as a red flag not to use Alkalines in any light you intend to keep.

Last edited: