Is there an Aeon-like light that uses AA?

vb14

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something that's as close as possbile to the Aeon but uses AA. 10/80 lumens with at least 90 mins on High. Twist to turn on (low, then further twist for high) HAIII or SS.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea.

You could just put a reverse clicky tailcap on a Fenix L1T v2 and loosen the head. Click it on and tighten and you'd get low, tighten further and it would go to high.

carrot

Flashaholic
Two stage switches as on the Aeon are usually relegated to the world of customs and high end lights (Surefire, for instance). And AA isn't at all popular on expensive lights so I'm willing to be you won't find any with your criteria even with an expanded budget.

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I'm not looking for Aeon-quality. Just a 2-stage twisty around 10/80 lumens. Jetbeam e3p is the closest I could find if not for it's clicky switch.

fnj

Enlightened
I'm looking for something that's as close as possbile to the Aeon but uses AA. 10/80 lumens with at least 90 mins on High. Twist to turn on (low, then further twist for high) HAIII or SS. Around $60.
Thanks.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't do it (minus the too-low price). You would take a burn time hit due to the lower energy content of AA's, on top of an efficiency hit due to their very low voltage output.

It would also be way too big. I much prefer the Aeon as is.
/unsolicited editorial

youreacrab

Enlightened
Take a look here: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=639

The Fenix LDO1 has three brightness levels with an easy to use interface. Maximum brightness is 80 lumens with a runtime on high of one hour. Type III hard anodizing for durability. Longer than the Aeon but thinner. Uses a AAA battery. A high quality light for $45.00.

the two stage twisty on the aeon is twist low, twist further high. just like on the surefire l1 and l2. fenix doesn't have this.

Southernlight

Enlightened
I guess you can twist to your level of choice with the Nitecore D10 but you have to revert to the "clicky" for the next level. Close but not it. :confused:

I guess we need a list of AA twisties?

vb14

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping Enrique's next project is a nice AA light, just like the Nautilus, Aeon, and Mako.

Now, that would be nice.

I guess we need a list of AA twisties?

I found this thread, but it didn't go very far. Maybe it needs to be revived. Hmm... :)

Oh well, just have to keep looking. Eventually, someone will find it and hopefully post it here.

Thanks.

Southernlight

Enlightened
I found this thread, but it didn't go very far. Maybe it needs to be revived. Hmm... :)

Oh well, just have to keep looking. Eventually, someone will find it and hopefully post it here.

Thanks.

Here is another thread I started on AA lights, the emphasis on small AA lights, there are some nice comparison images done by forum members that are nice to look at. check it out here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221667

Gunner12

Flashaholic
... Just a 2-stage twisty around 10/80 lumens. Jetbeam e3p is the closest I could find if not for it's clicky switch.

You could have asked for a 2 stage twistie AA light.

The Liteflux LF5 (if you can find one) could be a good choice.

vb14

Newly Enlightened

See post #5

You could have asked for a 2 stage twistie AA light.

I've thought of that. But I don't want something that has to be turned one way for low, and another way for hi (which may or may not exist). I want the UI to be exactly like the Aeon.

So you are looking for an AAeon?:)

If Enrique makes an "AAeon", then it's probably going to be mine ;).

An Aeon is on my list, its just a matter of being able to afford it! :eek:

See, instead of buying multiple less expensive lights, you can just buy one quality light. Quality instead of quantity :).

I intend to give this light to a non-flashaholic. I lend this person my NDI once, and the light went to either strobe or ramped up and down unexpectedly. That also explained my choice of battery. If it's other than that, the battery probably won't get replaced. Ok, I'm removing the budget limit, but I have to stick to AA. I want to see what's out there.

Thanks.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
for 60 bucks, you'll never get even near the Aeon's quality...
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I say quality is in the hands of
the flashlight maker. Quality can be specified and factories can be given very
detailed specifications to meet the designer's demands. And for 60 bucks for
something OP describes - totally possible. Just wait 10 days before you say nay. :D

Last edited: