TK20 Beam??

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
I just got my new TK20 today, and while I love the light overall, the beam is just awful.

The beam is fine for a few feet from the front of the light but past that there is a pretty big doughnut hole in about 40-50% of the hotspot.

I know that the smooth reflector will have some artifacts and such but should the doughnut hole really be that big??

Is there something worng with mine??

Should I try to exchange it for another??

I also noticed that the hole in the reflector for the LED and just a hair off-center, could this be my problem?

Thanks for any info,
Mike.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Ok here are some pics.

Off-Center LED.

offcenterled.jpg

Beam Shot at 8' on low mode.

beamshot.jpg

Sorry about the bad pics, I still can't figure out how to use my camera.
:ohgeez:

BTW,Nice TK20 you got there ST.

Mike.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it looks like the silver ring around the led on yours is off center. From the pic, it looks like there's an actual gap there.

From what I can see in your photo, the beam doesn't look too horrible, but you might still try to get a replacement.

Just be aware that the nature of this light means that, regardless, it's going to have that "halo" effect around the hot spot at close range, on a blank flat wall.

Mine looks that way at close range, with the center hot spot, a dark area around it, then a faint ring of light around that. It's just that with a centered emitter, the rings are concentric :D

But as you can see from my photo, the beam artifacts are insignificant in actual use.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to get a better one, I just wouldn't want you to be disappointed with the result.

BTW, the grip slips on mine, but I've learned to live with that little flaw.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Mine is the same way. There is a dark shadow in the center, with a bright outer ring. This isn't my personal light, but a gift for someone. But I had to open it up and test the light.:naughty::whistle:

f_TK20m_56cdf5d.jpg

f_TK20am_6620b86.jpg

Maybe that's just the way it should be? Sure doesn't look like the pic on the Fenix box.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
The beam in every one I've had is the same Mike. I thought my first one was a bad batch so had the company I ordered from send me a replacement. Same beam in that replacement. Sent it back but then later ordered another one for my girlfriend just because I loved the tint and throw so much for outdoors.
You really won't notice it in outdoor use.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often wished Fenix sold a diffuser cap for this light. Something like the Surefire F04. It would turn the TK20 into a much better light for close range tasks, such as a walking light so you can see the path right infront of you.

Egsise

Banned
I'm fully aware of those two options and have them both, but they aren't like a SF F04. Not sure if I'd want to attempt taking apart the red filter and replacing it with something.

Because I did some test with Fenix TK20 and TK red lens adapter, the red lens blew to pieces leaving the outer ring intact.
The red lens adapter cannot take a direct hit from an airsoft gun, 330fps/100ms(measured) 0.2g plastic BB point blank range and :poof: no more red lens....
Same test with TK20, not a scratch.
now the point was..

I just replaced that red lens with a plastic milky white lens and WOW!!
The all flood no hotspot beam is just unbelievable!:twothumbs

Now I have to mod my LD10 red lens adapter...

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Well I called 4sevens friday and they gave my a RMA so monday I am going to send it back.

However I'm not sure if I will try to exchange it for another TK20 or return it and get something else.

Are there any other "Tank" style lights that run on AA's??

BTW, WadeF if you are careful you can remove the red lens from the adapter without any damage.

Mike.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
The only other one is the TK40, which uses 8-AA's

I might just need to sell a body part and get one of those!!(after a review of course:nana:)

Anyway's in addition to the off beam I also noticed that the hole in the battery tube was off center!!
So I gave 4sevens a call last friday and got a RMA and mailed it back monday so I should be hearing something in the morning.

So heres hoping for a "perfect" TK20.:)

Mike.