Can't believe I did it...

The Black Knight

Newly Enlightened
Spent $65 on a fricken flashlight! A month ago I would of thought that was ridiculous, opinions change - you're all to blame! lovecpf Found the Surefire G2L at the local Lowes this week. Haven't told the wife how much it was yet, really don't dare. Wife and daughter want small EDC type lights, so that's the next purchase, hmmm so many lights, so little cash - arrrggg!

Same here dude. 2 months ago, I thought Surefires were not just overpriced, but I thought anyone who would spend 135 dollars on a light had a screw loose or something.

Please don't be offended by this CPF gentlemen. I am merely stating how I felt back then. It just seemed ridiculous to spend that much on a source of light. I never understood why a flashlight could demand such high prices.

At the time I had a mini maglite and honestly, I thought it was the best light in the world. I took it exploring, camping, everything. I mean that's just how deluded I was.

Got my first Fenix just this week. Got a solarforce as well (not considered premium to some, but premium to me).

Have a couple of Romisens on their way (cheapo but nice looking) and also on my way to ordering a Eagletac or Nitecore.

Weird how 2 months can make such a difference. Now that I have bought my first 40 dollar flashlight, my attitude has changed. Now I think that people who spend $500 dollars on a flashlight are ****OO.

I can't say that I will ever spend that much on a McGizmo, but if I had the money, who knows, maybe I would. :poke:

Sorry, just wanted to add. The first couple days I was here, I was looking up names that people were throwing out as far as their favorite flashlights.

When I saw the prices, I was like, "holy crap, I could get a nice shotgun for that price."

I am still of the unpopular opinion that I'd rather have a $500 Beretta 9mm than a $500 McGizmo. But...and I mean this seriously. How a man spends his money is up to him. There is a flashaholic out there somewhere wondering why I'd spend $500 on a gun. Understood. We all have our hobbies and interests.

I spent $500 on a vintage video game (Q-Bert) and my family thought I was nuts when I bought that, so I can't give the McGizmo clan a hard time over anything.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel bad - you are not alone. :crackup:

About a month and a half ago, I was browsing around my local Lowe's and saw a 6PL. Walked out with one for $96 and change.

Returned mine though. :twothumbs

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spent $65 on a fricken flashlight! A month ago I would of thought that was ridiculous, opinions change - you're all to blame! lovecpf Found the Surefire G2L at the local Lowes this week. Haven't told the wife how much it was yet, really don't dare. Wife and daughter want small EDC type lights, so that's the next purchase, hmmm so many lights, so little cash - arrrggg!

Congrats on the G2L - one of my favorite hosts!

Btw, don't click on this link (and don't check out the M60W or M60WL for your G2L): http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2...h=1_14&zenid=5i1hh2bi0lc0pijmma4kkpcobsbmbsae :devil::devil::devil:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullfrog.. that's evil.

by the way: dont follow that link, nor should you follow the maglite link.

don't get into knives either.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omg, you guys are evil, leave the poor guy alone.

O btw, here's the link for dealers' coupons and discount codes.

Last edited:

wadus

Newly Enlightened
I'm right there with ya OP...

A couple months ago I would have laughed if you said I would be spending over $100 on a single flashlight, but then I saw that delicious Ra Twisty! :devil: Everyone who knows me thinks I'm crazy now that I have spent a measley couple hundred dollars on flashlights. They're the ones who are crazy! Crazy, I say!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :crazy:

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
The lights aren't over-priced -- I'm just under-financed. Still, I got a Romisen rc-n3 and Dorcy aaa 1 watt on the way in the mail. And last month I got a 2AA Coleman Max (nice light for under $25). (The extra Rayovac keychain light, extra $1 store cold cathode/LEDs, and the LED bulb aren't worth thinking about, but I do like the Brinkmann 45 lumen with the swivel head). The next project is to look at all those cheap nifty little lights, then drop the money in a jar instead of buying anything, and when there is enough there get something decent.

I'm reading about the economy; some say we are in for hyperinflation, dollar collapse, a new feudalism --- hey -- feudalism -- that's the DARK ages! What a good time to have flashlights: these are inflation-proof investments! When the power grid goes down everyone will want flashlights. :whistle:

There is nothing I want to do which I can't find a good reason for.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys in the US of A are still luckier than the flashaholics in Singapore. a 3D Mag (stock) costs about USD$55 here and the stock LED module cost me about USD$20.

Think it may cost even more in other countries.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, I came here to see if there was a better alternative to my incan MM to navigate thru my dark house at night...

Zillions of dollars, lights, sales, posts, friends and HOURS later... still haven't found the "perfect" light yet. My quest continues....

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, all good tools are expensive. Have you see how much chisels, planes, and other woodworking tools cost?

Years ago, I thought I was insane for spending $50 for a flashlight. After adapting to that price point, I thought I was insane for spending $100 ... that figure just kept on increasing and increasing .... My purchasing style have changed though. I'm more selective in what I purchase. Instead of buying a $40 light here, a $50 light there, etc., I just buy one expensive one. Some people would rather have ten $50 lights. I just choose to get one $500 light instead. What I lose in quantity, I gain in quality and beauty. Nothing wrong with either method, just a matter of personal preference.