Keychain flashlight?

colin715

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide on a flashlight that I can use for my keychain, but I'm having a little difficulty. My dad has a Maglite Solitaire, but I think I want something with a little more power and higher quality. I've been looking at some of the Fenix lights, but I am really new to flashlights so I'm not sure which one would be best for me. I am looking at:

Fenix E01
Fenix Digital L0D Q4
Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2
Fenix Digital LD01

I would really appreciate if someone could lead me in the right direction with this. Also, I am not set on Fenix brand; if there are any other flashlights that would work for a keychain, please let me know.

Basically, I'm wondering if any of these lights are small enough to put on my keychain, or should I just go with some sort of Photon? Thanks a lot.

progress.gif

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For keychain sized and significantly brighter than a Solitaire, the L0D is the best I think. The E01 is a bit smaller with fantastic runtime, but not that much brighter than a Solitaire. IMO the others are a little on the large side for most people's keychains.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
....snip.....snip.....I am looking at:

Fenix E01
Fenix Digital L0D Q4
Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2
Fenix Digital LD01

.......snip....snip....... Also, I am not set on Fenix brand; if there are any other flashlights that would work for a keychain, please let me know.

Why did you pick all Fenix models then? :D
Hmmm..... "a little more power and higher quality" is a bit generic for requirements. I'm sure if you search through "best keychain" etc, you'll find tons of info of other recommended brands. Also, you need to hone down what you desire and need. Brightness? Size? Durability? Budget? etc. Note: you can't have them all. :laughing:

Will help you to go through The Welcome Mat.

And... :welcome:

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the Fenix LOD and E01, the main differences are price and light output. If a Photon is enough light for what you want, then skip the LOD. If the E01 seems like it might be too much for your keychain, go with the Photon. You can always try a Fauxton for a couple bucks and see if it meets your needs first.

scottaw

Enlightened
Skip the E01, if you're used to using powerful lights, it really won't do anything for you, and a lot of people, myself included, found it WAAAAY too blue, think led's from 5 years ago.

I LOVE my LD01, has a nice, tight white beam, and a lot of light from a solitare sized package. That said, i just got my brother in law an L0D, and the beam is a bit wider, and a bit more yellow, i like it a lot too.

carrot

Flashaholic
I always recommend the E01 over the others. In my opinion a keychain light should be a backup light that runs for a really long time and the E01 does that without being too dim to be useful. It won't blow you away but you will find it comes in very handy.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to decide on a flashlight that I can use for my keychain, but I'm having a little difficulty. My dad has a Maglite Solitaire, but I think I want something with a little more power and higher quality. I've been looking at some of the Fenix lights, but I am really new to flashlights so I'm not sure which one would be best for me. I am looking at:

Fenix E01
Fenix Digital L0D Q4
Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2
Fenix Digital LD01

I would really appreciate if someone could lead me in the right direction with this. Also, I am not set on Fenix brand; if there are any other flashlights that would work for a keychain, please let me know.

Basically, I'm wondering if any of these lights are small enough to put on my keychain, or should I just go with some sort of Photon? Thanks a lot.

progress.gif

It really all depends on how you plan to use the light. If you are really concerned about size and weight, obviously a coin-cell light is going to beat any of the 1xAAA size lights in that area. Is this going to be the only light you carry on you, or simply used as a backup?

My second "real" flashlight I ever purchased after joining CPF was a Fenix L0D Q4. It provided great service riding on my car key chain for probably 1-1.5 years. I've had a Fenix E01 on my work keys for probably close to 1 year now and it too has been a great little light.

With that being said, I've since sold the L0D Q4 and now have a Streamlight Microstream on my car keys (the work keys still have the E01). You might give the SL MS a good look along with those Fenix lights. I really like that it has a forward clicky tail-switch (as compared to the twisties on the Fenix lights). The SL MS is a bit longer than the E01/L0D/LD01 lights though.

Personally, I hate coin-cell lights (no offense to anyone who uses/loves them), it's just a personal preference. In my experience, they have pretty poor discharge curves (quickly diminishing output) and are a pain to swap out the coin cells.

In my opinion, the multi-modes of the L0D/LD01 and not worth the money over the ~$16 Microstream. But again, that is a personal preference that will vary with how you plan to use the light. Plus, I really like that the SL MS doesn't have any knurling to beat up my key fob :).

IMO:

Fenix L0D Q4/LD01: Great all-around multi-mode light allowing you to use the right amount of light for a task and save battery life accordingly.

Fenix E01: Great single-mode, lower output light with awesome runtime! BTW, the E01 on my work keys is still on original Energizer E2 that I put in it when I bought it.

Fenix L1T: Going to be the brightest of the bunch on max, but too big and heavy for keychain carry.

SL Microstream: Great single-mode, medium brightest keychain light. To me, the clicky tailcap is a plus. BTW, you can extend the SL MS's runtime from ~1.5 hrs. to ~4.5 hrs. by using Energizer E2 AAA batteries instead of alkaline cells... see this thread for runtime graph and review.

Good luck with your purchase!

-Robert

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always recommend the E01 over the others. In my opinion a keychain light should be a backup light that runs for a really long time and the E01 does that without being too dim to be useful. It won't blow you away but you will find it comes in very handy.

I agree with carrot. I've had a Fenix E0 (E01 predecessor) on my keys for a couple of years now and it is still going strong. With a lithium battery in it I can not worry about battery leakage or not having power if it has not been turned on in a year. Of course it is all scratched up but it really is just a back up light since I always pocket carry a light or two. A high output multilevel light on my keys would be a waste for me because it would not be used much. I prefer to use a light with nothing attached to it. Why not get an LD01 for pocket and an E01 for the keys.

Qoose

Enlightened
I on the other hand like coin cell lights. My true EDC since it's attached to my ID and keys is a 2x2016 clicky keylight from Titanium. You get one free with all of the purchases I make at Battery Junction, so when one dies, I just take another. It's basically my emergency/backup light, as I carry something bigger somewhere else most of the time with me. It might have a short runtime, but they are pretty bright for a while, followed by a very long period where you have a little light, good as a backup. It only gets used the 1 in 20 times that I don't have my other EDC, so I've only had to go through 2 in the last year. Also, I hate heavy keychains, and using one of these is a bit lighter than anything in the AAA form factor.

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
I have the E01 and it's a great light, don't let the violet tint of the light fool you. The light is very handy and will serve you well, I always thought about the bigger L0D but I always carry a TK11 R2 and LD20 with me.

I say get an E01 I mean they are only $12-15 and you can buy around 4-5 of them and not hurt your pocket.

Spread the love of lights and give one to family members, friends etc.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Skip the little coin cell lights. Poor run-time. They're light and handy, but they dim fast.

Many CPFers like those nifty Fenix LODs. However, if you don't need multi-levels and really want your light to hold up to the constant abrasiveness of your keys grinding on the little light's anodizing, then consider these tried-and-true/proven classics:

1. PEAK MATTERHORN (1 x AAA): I prefer the 3-LED version in High-power (vs. Ultra-power). HA aluminum is probably best for key-chain (vs. Brass or Stainless steel models). Use the energizer L92 lithium battery (vs. alkaline) for better run-time and lighter weight. I also heard that Peak has a sale on right now. CALL THEM. Don't order via their website.

2. ARC (1 x AAA): get the newer DS or GS LED version. Like the Peak Matterhorn, this is a key-chain standard. The Arc has a broader beam, while the Peak 3-LED has a tighter, more "throwy" beam. The little Arc probably has slightly more durable anodizing than the aluminum Peak, and it's about 1/2 inch shorter (than Peak's 3-LED Matty, though about the same length as Peak's 1-LED version).

Welcome to CPF -- and don't stop at just one flashlight!

loanshark

Enlightened
I use my E01 all the time. If you're going white wall hunting the blue may bother you... but in normal use you probably won't notice it...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Between the Fenix LOD and E01, the main differences are price and light output. If a Photon is enough light for what you want, then skip the LOD. If the E01 seems like it might be too much for your keychain, go with the Photon. You can always try a Fauxton for a couple bucks and see if it meets your needs first.

The advice I'd give, too. And, welcome to CPF, Colin.

Geoff

PetaBread

Enlightened
We have to know your price range....

But, based on the info given, I'm guessing it's <$50

So, I suggest the ARC AAA like TonkinWarrior.

colin715

Newly Enlightened
First off, thanks to everyone for the valuable input. Secondly, I apologize for not being specific enough. I am on Bladeforums all the time and I know it gets annoying for people to come in and ask these very vague questions...

Basically I am just trying to make my EDC a little more functional. Right now I have my blade, wallet, phone, and my keychain. My keychain has a Leatherman Squirt, a small SAK, a flash drive, and obviously my keys. I have no source of light at all, so I wanted to change that. I don't really have a lot of room to carry a large flashlight in my pockets and I don't want to carry one on my belt...Plus I don't think I have any need for a huge light.

I don't have any specific use for this flashlight, it's more just in case I ever find myself without light. I also don't want a dinky little light that I can only use to see 2 feet in front of me, which is what I'm afraid of if I go with the Photon.

HKJ

Flashaholic
It depends on how much money you want to spend. For now I am only looking at AAA lights, they are a good size if you have a couple of keys, for a small keychain I would look at a smaller light.

Now to the recommendations:
Light I would not use on a keychain (For one reason or another): Leatherman, Tank007, LiteFlux

Cheap lights: Fenix E01

Better lights: Fenix L0D and LD01

Top quality lights: Arc Ti (The blank light without name) and Killer (The colored light without name).

The regular ARC is a good quality light, but compared to the E01, it is not really worth the price (IMHO).

If you want a light with lots of light, the only option is the L0D and LD01, the are very powerfull at full power.

S2 is also a powerfull light, but does not really fit on a keychain.

LF2X is my favorite light, but again it does not work on a keychain.

DSC_3436.jpg