Fenix P1D Q5 vs PD20 Q5

sygyzy

Enlightened
What's the difference between these two lights? I realize the PD20 is longer, newer (does this matter?) and has an antiroll bezel.

Looks like the P1D is an older model that got a new lease on life with the Q5 upgrade. I don't know anything about the driver boards but I am assuming the P1D is equipped to handle the new LED.

Anyway, both have the same runtime and brightness. The P1D is $8 cheaper.

Anything I am missing? Which would you prefer?

Niconical

Enlightened
The big difference is that the P1D Q5 is a twisty, meaning you twist the head on/off/on etc to cycle through the various modes, and the PD20 is a clickie, meaning it has a switch at the back, hence the extra length. Modes are then changed by turning it on, then soft pressing, which is pressing slightly, enough to turn of but not enough to fuly click it off, then releasing. Also the PD20 can have the head fully tight or a little loose to then give you the option of 2 sets of modes to cycle through with the switch.

Hhm, now that I read it back, not a perfect description, but you get the picture.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
P1D is a twistie, not a clickie, it also has one less mode which is switch by twisting the light on and off.

Single die(or parallel wired) white LEDs all run around 3.3-3.7v(depending on driver current) no matter the efficiency (a Nichia Jupiter has the same Vf as a Cree XR-E R2) so the driver is fine as long as the LED fits into the physical size of the light.

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
The P1D is pretty small. Not Lummi small, but pretty damn small for a light running on a single 123. I was shocked when I received mines and turned it on...so much light out of a little package. I bought a P2D-CE for a friend of mines for xmas and played around with it before giving it to him. IMHO, the size between the P1D and P2D was pretty significant and that only 1mm less than the size difference between the P2D and PD20 (P1D:71mm<P2D:80mm<PD20:88mm). I keep the light on my keychain so I want it to be as small as possible, but the P2D and PD20 are a little more intuitive and easy to switch modes.

The P1D is a twisty light which isnt a problem, but I had to clean the contacts out since the o-ring would deteriorate and cause the light to fail intermittently. Its also a 2 handed operation which can make things potentially a bit more difficult depending on your situation.

The P2D and, I assume, the PD20 have clickie switches as well as turbo mode that make the switching significantly easier. There are 4 modes on low...all of which are very functional, and 2 modes on turbo when you need them. The turbo mode is accessed by tightening the bezel and switching outputs within the modes is accessed by soft tapping (or double clicking) the switch.

Other than that though, I cant really tell the difference with the lights. Maybe an updated driver...? The highest output and runtime are the same on the three lights with Q5s so it comes down to a matter of preference. on as a side note, I must say again how great fenix-store is. My P1D eventually stopped working (Im assuming its a rare occurrence since I couldnt find anyone else having the problem) so I emailed them and got a RMA. I just got an email saying they replaced the light and its on its way to me as I write this...hope this helps man

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the P1D Q5 with leef body very2 appealing :)
standing next to my modded P1 CE with R2 emitter ;)

P1DQ5vsP1R2d.jpg

P1DQ5vsP1R2e.jpg

P1DQ5vsP1R2f.jpg