Have their been any Drop Tests done on Multiple Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of beamshot and runtime tests. Just wondering if anybody has done any extensive drop test comparisons?

I know this would be expensive and nobody wants to mess up their flashlights. Just think it would be really cool to see how flashlights measure up against each other dropped at 2 feet, counter level, 6 feet, rooftop, 2 stories, etc.

Again, I know this would require somebody with a lot of money to burn and willing to destroy flashlights, but it would be a cool test nonetheless.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nothing definitive but my own experience...

Inova X1-V2, waist high drop onto garage concrete killed it. it now works intermittently.

Surefire 6P, waist high drop onto ceramic tile floor dented bezel and put a small crack on the pyrex. I have dropped it 2-3 times at work on ESD linoleum flooring without any problems.

Guess I could share my experience.

Mini Mag Incan - Dropped a dozen times at waist level onto dirt, concrete and linoleum floors. Still going strong.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Ra Twisty from ralights.com:

"How tough is the Ra Twisty? This production Ra Twisty was dropped repeatedly from a height exceeding 6 meters (20 feet) on to concrete, pavement and rocks. After 20 drops, the light was repeatedly thrown at concrete, pavement and rocks. The light still functions normally. The glass lens did not break even with this severe punishment."

Alos, I remember a thread where a guy on here threw his Twisty really really far and let it smack the pavement and I think he also dropped it in a bucket of jet fuel or something...? Anyway, it survived unscathed.

The thing is a friggin tank :devil:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen extensive torture test on a good number of lights in the past. I don't have the link, but search for "torture test" and read the ones that strike your interest. There was a good one I read awhile back on a Fenix light.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Good thread, Be interesting to see the outcome. Ive personally dropped my SF 6PL about 30 times from distances varying from 3-7 feet and thrown it a few times (not real hard more of a toss) and its yet to stop working.
Ive dropped my Olight M20 at least 5 times and as of right now its a $100 turd and im waiting on a word from Olight to replace it. I dont know that it is malfunctioning because I dropped it but yea.
Dropped a couple Mags that broke (they were incan) but had another mag 4D (still have but with a Malkoff Drop-in) that i used as a true "beater" and also used as a hammer to get my drop hitch unfroze from all the mud that was in it and other than the scars and battle marks the incan bulb survived!

gsxrac

Enlightened
There was also an extremely rough torture test done on the Muyshondt Aeon and im gonna try to find the link. It was pretty amazing!

http://weblog.muyshondt.net/?p=5

Thats why I want an Aeon

"In more practical test in drops of various heights, though, is where the light really impresses. The Aeon was taken and dropped from arm height onto concrete several times with no ill effects save for minor dings, as expected. We then proceeded to throw the light against asphalt and concrete, which resulted in progressively stronger road rash, but still, just dings and scratches on the metal exterior. From here we gave up the angled throws against the road and started throwing the light into the air, measured up to about 40 feet, and let it find its way back to the ground, always bezel first because the weight is primarily concentrated there. Time and time again this test was repeated wil no ill effects outside the expected dings and scratches."

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I see a lot of beamshot and runtime tests. Just wondering if anybody has done any extensive drop test comparisons?

I know this would be expensive and nobody wants to mess up their flashlights. Just think it would be really cool to see how flashlights measure up against each other dropped at 2 feet, counter level, 6 feet, rooftop, 2 stories, etc.

Again, I know this would require somebody with a lot of money to burn and willing to destroy flashlights, but it would be a cool test nonetheless.

Once again, the search function is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com&q="drop+test"&btnG=Search

PetaBread

Enlightened
After 20 drops, the light was repeatedly thrown at concrete, pavement and rocks.

:crackup:

I can't wait to get one and a McGizmo.

EDIT: I forgot I had a Dorcy AA in the car, I'm going to test it now.

Ok, this thing can take a beating. 5 drops from 6ft onto concrete and 5 throws at a brick wall resulted in no damage,

but a few scratches.

And one thing I hate about the Dorcy AA is that the rubber on it is stank!

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Ra Twisty from ralights.com:

"How tough is the Ra Twisty? This production Ra Twisty was dropped repeatedly from a height exceeding 6 meters (20 feet) on to concrete, pavement and rocks. After 20 drops, the light was repeatedly thrown at concrete, pavement and rocks. The light still functions normally. The glass lens did not break even with this severe punishment."

Alos, I remember a thread where a guy on here threw his Twisty really really far and let it smack the pavement and I think he also dropped it in a bucket of jet fuel or something...? Anyway, it survived unscathed.

The thing is a friggin tank :devil:

I have seen that Twisty in person. It still works.

Henry also told me a story of one of his customers, who is some sort of lineman by profession. This lineman dropped his Twisty accidentally from the top of a radio tower 100+ feet off the ground onto solid concrete. He thought the light was a goner for sure. When he got to the bottom, over an hour later, not only was the light functionally undamaged, but it was still on.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Those are individual drop tests. I asked for drop test comparisons between various lights.

Reading the original post is your friend.

Notice how everyone is having a good time on this thread except for you?

And reading those individual drop tests, you can do your own comparison between the various lights.

Guess that's too much thinking for some people :whistle:

So what, you're too lazy to read them, and you wanted someone else to compile them all for you??

PetaBread

Enlightened
And reading those individual drop tests, you can do your own comparison between the various lights.

So what, you're too lazy to read them, and you wanted someone else to compile them all for you??

Burned! :crackup:

Sorry, but I just had to say it.

I'd rather be lazy than an overreacting burnout who gets his jollies burning newbs on the internet. How about engaging in some conversation once in a while instead of being a consistent blowhard?

If everyone used the search function, there would be ZERO new threads because 95% of the new posts are things that have already posted.

Lighten up Francis.

Burned! :crackup:

Sorry, but I just had to say it.

Oh I got burned on a flashlight forum by a guy who gets mad because things have been discussed before. As if there aren't a bazillion threads on this forum that haven't already been discussed ad nauseum.

I think a Hari Kari is in order for me. Does anybody have a Samurai Sword so I can commit Seppeku on this thread?

jusval

Enlightened
Hell, if y'all have the bucks to do drop tests, send them all to me and I will do an extensive comparison for you. I get to keep all those expensive lights though...:nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.