Surefire mix-n-match help

lairdb

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping some of you Surefire configuration experts can help me out. I have several 6Ps and 6Zs, and a 3P; I've converted all of my 6's to LEDs (mostly DX, 2 Malkoffs.) (Anybody want to buy some barely-used P60s?)

The 3P was cute, but I'd really rather have one more 6P-equivalent. I think I can accomplish that by changing lamps and using an A19.

Now, let me make it more complicated: I also have a 618FA. I'm pretty happy with it, but I could be even happier if I could shorten it and put a 3v-capable flood drop-in in there to match the shorter-ness.

How do I do that, and do I re-use the 3P's body in the process? (I fiddled with doing that, but I seem to end up half-a-cell off, somehow..)

Thanks.

--Laird

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you want a Surefire 6P I would gradly trade you my 6P for your 3P. lol..

Seriously; the 3P is a piece of history and is worth more than you think. You should just put it to use. At Lighthound.com you could get a Solarforce A12 1 cell extender for $6. It will make your 3P into a 6P.

You could purchase a DX MC-E P60 which runs on a single cr123 battery (IMR 16340). This will make a true 300 plus lumens out the front. They your 3P will out light the rest of the herd.:D

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well if you want a Surefire 6P I would gradly trade you my 6P for your 3P. lol..

Seriously; the 3P is a piece of history and is worth more than you think. You should just put it to use. At Lighthound.com you could get a Solarforce A12 1 cell extender for $6. It will make your 3P into a 6P.

You could purchase a DX MC-E P60 which runs on a single cr123 battery (IMR 16340). This will make a true 300 plus lumens out the front. They your 3P will out light the rest of the herd.:D
Are you sure this drop-in would outperform the M30?
~240 lumens nominal, which I thought already tested out as the highest OTF LED drop-in (as I've heard that the DX numbers can be pretty inflated), but on an IMR it should even push 300, albeit for only half the runtime due to the lower energy density in the IMR cell:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2882198&postcount=124

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure this drop-in would outperform the M30?
~240 lumens nominal, which I thought already tested out as the highest OTF LED drop-in (as I've heard that the DX numbers can be pretty inflated), but on an IMR it should even push 300, albeit for only half the runtime due to the lower energy density in the IMR cell:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2882198&postcount=124

MrGman tested it already in a single cell set up. I use it in my E1b with an E to C adaptor and a 6P solarforce bezel.
I will likely run the MC-E in a 18650 set-up now, as it tends to hold its value longer, but for short use and showing off the little set-up is cool.:D
DX_MC-E High______________337__turn-on,__________1_IMR 16340__________SF E1B Host, custom mod, doesnt hold value
DX_MC-E Low______________137__turn-on,__________1_IMR 16340__________SF E1B Host, custom mod,

DX_MC-E High______________385__turn-on,__________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AR coated glass,
DX_MC-E High______________345__warm____________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AR coated glass,
DX-MC-E Low______________150__warm____________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AT coated glass,

lairdb

Newly Enlightened
Seriously; the 3P is a piece of history and is worth more than you think. You should just put it to use.

I did think about that; I've "expended" a few things that I later discovered were collectable rarities. I checked EBay, and didn't see a lot of 3P traffic, but I still kinda figured it was a bit of an odd duck.

Having said that, aside from amusement value it's not a lot of use to me that short; too small to handle, too big to pocket, etc.

At Lighthound.com you could get a Solarforce A12 1 cell extender for $6. It will make your 3P into a 6P.

Hmm -- I don't find an "A12", but I found an "L2" -- is that the right critter?

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF

To convert a 618FA into a 318FA you unscrew the L60 Lamp Module from the forend housing and replace it with an L30 Lamp Module.

To convert a 3P into a 6P you are correct - you screw on an A19 and replace the 3P's Lamp Assembly with a P60.

lairdb

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

To convert a 618FA into a 318FA you unscrew the L60 Lamp Module from the forend housing and replace it with an L30 Lamp Module.

To convert a 3P into a 6P you are correct - you screw on an A19 and replace the 3P's Lamp Assembly with a P60.

Thanks. There seem to be an enourmous number of parts, subassemblies, and accessories that exist, but aren't clearly listed; is there a Surefire Master Parts Reference somewhere, to identify things like the L30, and to understand "legal" combinations of parts?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks. There seem to be an enourmous number of parts, subassemblies, and accessories that exist, but aren't clearly listed; is there a Surefire Master Parts Reference somewhere, to identify things like the L30, and to understand "legal" combinations of parts?
As SureFire have grown and marketed themselves towards ever wider sectors, they have made strong moves to simplify their product range to make it easier for the people to understand.
You're delving into old "Classic" products that were never intended to be played around with.
Whilst there are one or two resources I suggest your best bet is to ask here and hope that somebody like me can help.

Al :)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to the OP for avoiding the use of another company's copyrighted name to describe his mix-and-match.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can track one down, a Leef Detonator combines a grip ring and one-cell extension into one useful part. That said, a direct-drive Seoul Semiconductor P7 dropin with an IMR 16340 li-ion cell can seriously push 600 lumens for ten minutes, with a good dropin. With oomph like that, I'd find pants with bigger pockets!

If it's black, it's not a hugely collectable light, but if it's colored (some were made in both firetruck red and kelly green, at a minimum) it's probably worth something to somebody.

Latest posts