Throw difference between SF E1L 3/45 lumens vs E2L 60 lumens vs INOVA XO3 TIROS ?

radu1976

Enlightened
I was wondering how much is the difference between a throw of a latest E1L dual output 3/45 lumens versus E2L 60 lumens and versus INOVA XO3/T3 TIROS

I am tempted to get an E1L as I like a lot its form factor , despite the fact that E1B is throwing much better. I would have preffered a short runtime with a better throw but I like the knurling of E1L and the UI of L1 is not something I am fond of...
I would avoid a combination with different SF parts...so once again E1L would be the option.
I am interested basically in the throw difference versus INOVA XO3/T3 TIROS...is it noticeable ?

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how much is the difference between a throw of a latest E1L dual output 3/45 lumens versus E2L 60 lumens and versus INOVA XO3/T3 TIROS

I am tempted to get an E1L as I like a lot its form factor , despite the fact that E1B is throwing much better. I would have preffered a short runtime with a better throw but I like the knurling of E1L and the UI of L1 is not something I am fond of...
I would avoid a combination with different SF parts...so once again E1L would be the option.
I am interested basically in the throw difference versus INOVA XO3/T3 TIROS...is it noticeable ?

Well, I just received a brand new E1L, and have an E2L inroute. I also have two E1B's. This little E1L is in no way a 45 lumen light! It is throwing nearly equal to both my E1B's, and those two are a lot brighter than all 4 of my P60L modules, all a fairly uniform known quantity measured in the 80 Lumen range they are rated at. I also tested it against my L1, and I can't see any difference between the outputs of either one. I would say my L1 and the new E1L are even, and both on high are brighter than 80 lumens. My E-1B's also seem even or just a tad brighter. I know they are supposed to be 80, but they are way more. These are Surefire lumens, don't forget!

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
That's true, I just got into Surefires, and my E1L and E2L on high put out about the same light as than my foreign lights that are rated in the 80-120 lumen range. The E2L out throws the E1L, but not by a tremendous amount, you can see the difference, but they are fairly close which is why Surefire specs are only 15 lumens different on high. Surefires also can throw farther with less lumens. My E1L will light something up amazingly far away for its output. Some of my other lights are way more floody up close, like my D10, EX10, LD10, but the Surefires beat them for throw hands down at long distance, with still enough spill to be useful.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
I have both a Tiros XO3 and the two stage E2L. While I have not done a night throw comparison test I can say that indoors the E2L is noticeably brighter. The XO3 will maintain that tight beam and the E2L may broaden a bit at distanbce, but I believe the E2L with out throw it, although perhaps not by a dramatic amount.

It is not the the XO3 emitter is that bright. It is probably actually putting out about 45 Lumens versus the E2L 60+. It simply keeps a tighter beam. It is also far more blue than the E2L.

My opinion.....I like the E2L so much better that I am selling my XO3 to a friend. I am sure he will get great use out of it. So, to make a long story short, I think you will be pleased with the performance increase and the improvement in tint of the E2L. PLUS you have a much longer run time on high power and a very usable low setting as well.

GreySave

Enlightened
Hmm, My first attempt to post apparently did not make it, so.....
Now it did....

Double post removed

Last edited: