My wallet stinks like fish

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever heard of a leather wallet smelling like fish? I bought a wallet in Italy last year, and so far I'm very happy with it. Yet, when I have been sitting on a chair for a long time and my wallet is warmed up a bit, it stinks like fish when I open it. I never carried fish in it and it has never been even close to fish, but it has this annoying smell.

Any experiences? Ideas how to get rid of the smell?

Oh and here's a good joke I heard tonight : what's the resemblance between a canoe and American beer? It's both f***ing close to water.

Actually I just thought it's not a good joke since nowadays most American beers are owned by Belgian companies ;)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe at night or sometime when you can live without your wallet for a while, open it up as much as possible and set it in front of a fan for several hours.
Another idea , cut a scented laundry softener sheet to fit inside, or just fold it and stick it next to your paper money in the wallet. Maybe it will just mask the smell, but it might work.

Maybe some of the money you put in there was somehow contaminated.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Has anyone ever heard of a leather wallet smelling like fish? I bought a wallet in Italy last year, and so far I'm very happy with it. Yet, when I have been sitting on a chair for a long time and my wallet is warmed up a bit, it stinks like fish when I open it. I never carried fish in it and it has never been even close to fish, but it has this annoying smell.

Any experiences? Ideas how to get rid of the smell?

Oh and here's a good joke I heard tonight : what's the resemblance between a canoe and American beer? It's both f***ing close to water.

Actually I just thought it's not a good joke since nowadays most American beers are owned by Belgian companies ;)

Oddly I had this issue with an eel skin wallet and got rid of it.

Oh ... and I would not in any way say that "most" American breweries are owned by Belgian companies. A few of the large ones that brew crappy beer are, but there are plenty of small local "micro" breweries that make "real" beer. I can think of at least 2 dozen within a days drive from where I live and I'm sure I'm missing many others.

300winmag

Enlightened
"when I have been sitting on a chair for a long time and my wallet is warmed up a bit, it stinks like fish when I open it."

I was in a bar once and some woman had on leather pants that smelled fishy....

Has the wallet ever been wet?

jusval

Enlightened
Never go to the fish market to buy a wallet.

Try soaking it in Belgian beer for a while?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I was pretty drunk when I posted last night (great party, yes :) ), I do apologize to beer lovers for the comment about the American beers. The big beers suck but it's true there are some mighty fine micro breweries out there :) They make great IPA's, which are unfortunately not that common in Belgium.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO Hoegaarden is pretty lame now (they changed a few years ago). Duvel is better but drink it, don't soak the wallet in it.

The fish jokes could get you into trouble on a family friendly forum like this. Just for the halibut, I wouldn't make any. Just clam up about them. Someone could take offense, hurt you, and then you might have to go to the hospital to see a sturgeon. It could put you out of work and you end up sponging off your friends for awhile. They probably don't have a twenty but maybe they could lend you a fin. Are you a professional or are you working for scale? (Had enough yet? I have over 50 years of bad puns stored up).

Try using even an unscented dryer sheet or two both in and over the wallet and let it set someplace warm and dry for a day or two.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

This is seriously funny!!!:party::party:

I think we have the title for a new Neverending Story:

My wallet stinks like fish...........:hitit:

KD5XB

Enlightened
Are you sure it's leather and not something like eel skin? If it's eel, you'll never get the smell out.

jag-engr

Enlightened
What kind of leather is it?

It's not a fish skin wallet is it? Because that might explain a lot. :popcorn:
Seriously, though, I would try putting it in a dry place with a box of baking soda.

If that doesn't work, trying spraying the inside of the wallet with Odorcide and leaving it opened up in front of a fan. Some might recommend Febreeze, but I think Odorcide does a better job of neutralizing the odor instead of just masking it with a strong perfume smell.

If the leather on the outside of the wallet seems to be in bad shape, you might try conditioning it with some sort of leather treatment.