Help a noob!

Geofocus

Newly Enlightened
Hi i am new on this forum. I am the proud owner of a Fenix p3dq5 and not so proud owner of a surefire g2 nitrolon. I want to buy a new flashlight or 2 and i am seeking information.

The first one would be a powerfull and cheap one. A MTE p7 or something like that. Around 40$ on DX. Do you have a better suggestion. What about DX? Is it a good place to buy or not? What about all the other P7 in the same price range wich one should i buy. I know it is not top quality but its only about power.

The second one would be a thrower. Is the LP MRV still a the top of the food chain of the thrower? I heard about the jetbeam raptor, better or not? Do you have a better suggestion for a thrower in the same price range of the MRV? Where To buy?

Is there a pressure swith for the Fenix p3dq5 and the MTE p7?

I know its a lot of questions in one thread, but hey! Answer only the ones you want. I did read a lot of thread but after i had way more questions. That is why i decided to register.

Thanks

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there is a pressure switch for the fenix line now. Check the fenix store.

As far as I can tell the MTE's are the best of the DX p7's and MC-E's. DX has always been fine for me but some ppl have had some really bad experiences. The one other option you might want to consider is shiningbeam, a us dealer that stocks a lot of the same brands you see on DX is supposed to be getting some quad die lights soon which I think will be worth checking out. Should be in the next week or two.

I don't know much about surefires, they have always been out of my price range, but aren't there some good upgrades you could get for it? If so, that could be a good option.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are drop-ins for the P60 accepting lights like the G2.

From DX, longer shipping and you'll have to do some research to see which lights are good. The MTE seems decent.

The MRV has been overtaken a year ago by the Tiablo A8/A9, then the Dereelight DBS overtook both of them, now the Tiablo A10 is the current best besides the DEFT.

I don't think there's a pressure switch for the P3D or the MTE P7.

:welcome:

Geofocus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Is there a better place than DX to buy. Should i use a 18650 3000mah in a MTE ssc p7 instead of a 2400mah.

How can i send private message, I dont see the option. I am to much a new guy to do so?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a few thoughts (which not everyone must agree on):

1st: the lights You have offer very good machining, parts and finish for the very good price, while any of the P7/MC-E lamps You plan on are sooo awkward in machining ... If You are lucky, You might get one where the threads are made good enough not to get angry using the light

2nd: the light - especially with just 1 18650 - will, at the beginning, be a bit brighter than a good (but much smaller) single-die-led 18650 light from one of the respected makers, but runtime on high just be under 1 hour, while the single lights give 2+ hours.

3rd: there is no 3000 mAh 18650, (and with the high current draw of a quad-led lamp, even the best cells will deliver only some 2000 mAh, at best)

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!! While I don't currently own ant of the lights in question I did want to share my experience with DX. I've been using them for about a year now. I have gotten a dozen or so orders from them and have had only a few problems. I had ordered some Lasers from them and they were backordered. Well when I got the backordered package every thing was there except the lasers. I filled out the CS ticket and took pictures of the packaging and the other items in the package. I was pretty sure I was out the $60. I got an e-mail from a non English speaking rep. After a clairification of the problem I was assured that the lasers would be sent. I was pretty sure I was out the $60. I got another email stating the lasers had been shipped but did not get a tracking number. I was sure I was out the $60. 5 days later I had the lasers in my mail box! Best $60 I had spent with them up to that point!! Now just recently I had ordered a couple Trustfire 14500 batteries. One came in at 3.99 volts, the other was at 1.54volts- Effectivly dead and useless as these were unprotected cells and I was petty sure the cell was not revivable. I took a picture of the package, batteries, and the bad cell on my DMM. @ day later DX sent me an email with a tracking number and are replacing the 2 batteries (only one was bad). They also suggested I try to charge the battery anyway and see if it would bounce back (which I did and it took to charges but it now reads 4.08 volts). Shipping is always a bit slow with them (as it is free). and they are running a bit behind on packaging (most orders take 4 to 5 days to process now- hey used to be ready to go in 3). Also they have a rewards program that allows you to save up points and redeem them for gifts- now right now the selection is kind of lame- but they do update it once in a while and they have had some lights on the list. Just my 2 cents.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
I would spend $60 and get a nitecore d10. I have one and use it every day. Research it and then buy one. you won't be dissappointed.

Andrew

STi

Newly Enlightened
I would spend $60 and get a nitecore d10. I have one and use it every day. Research it and then buy one. you won't be dissappointed.

Andrew

Only if UI is more important than brightness.

Jaybird

Newly Enlightened
4sevens is selling the Olight T10 Q5 for $39 (regular $55). The 2008 version is ~180 lumens (cr123X1) and from what I hear has a good throw.

Might be worth taking a look at. I ordered one for myself.