Malkoff Vs. Dereelight MC-E

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Here is my dilema... I need a room flooder. I am a corrections officer and want something that will light up EVERYTHING that is from 10 - 30 feet away. A wall of light...

I've seen a couple of the Malkoff mc-e beam shots and they are awesome. Hows the Dereelight mc-e compare? Keep in mind that the Malkoff is double the price. Is it double the wall of light? Both have claims of 400 lumens.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
You're using this in a potentially dangerous scenario and you're worried about price?

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Rothrandir, first off... I never said that I was worried about price. If you read clearly, I ask if the "Malkoff is double the price. Is it double the wall of light?"

Secondly, thank you for your helpful reply. Really narrowed it down for me with all your useful info. :twothumbs

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Sorry, I just see so many people trying to make comparisons based on price alone...it's a big pet peeve of mine.

I have no experience with the Dereelight so I'll leave others to make a recommendation on the matter.
I would doubt that the Malkoff is twice as bright, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were twice the value.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Malkoff but I do own the Deree MC-E.It will light up an entire room clearly.The great thing is it's size-5 inches long and only 1 3/8 inches at it's widest point.You can carry it in any pocket and hardly notice it.:twothumbs

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff MC-E, DX MC-E, and P7 all P60 D26 style with similar Lumens out the front readings. The Malkoff will give you more flood because it uses his 20 degree optic. To my eyes the Malkoff will give way more flood. I used to have the Malkoff P7 P60 drop-in and the MC-E appears to give more flood than anything I have tried.

For the most possible flood the Malkoff is going to deliver at least 25% more than any other quad emitter. Plus, you get the Malkoff quality and heatsinking technology.

If you go with Dereelight you will have more throw, but a lot less flood. Seems like Malkoff is what you are looking for.:twothumbs

jslappa

Enlightened
Call Malkoff and tell him you want an M60 MC-E in Direct drive. Then your wall of light will definitely be twice that of the Dereelight MC-E. Gene told me that I can expect in excess of 900 lumens if using an 18650. I have no way to test for actual lumens, but my DX MTE M3-2 (MC-E) pales in comparison to the Malkoff.

Take it from an ex CO1 from Crossroads Correctional Facility (level 5). I wish I had my Malkoff back there in Missouri!

Optik49

Enlightened

Malkoff is the way to go. But what I would do is get a MAC customs P7 in a 1D Mag running off one rechargeable 18650. It's a little short but fatter than the Deerlight. If you are concerned about size and want to always keep it on your duty belt get the Malakoff P7 with any number of hosts available. If you want real small (pocket friendly) Surefire 3P or clone with the Malkoff P7 is great. I have all these lights the only one I sold off is the Deerlight hell of a thrower though.

So 1. MAC customs P7 in a 1D Mag running off one rechargeable 18650 UNBELEVABLE! Just PM him to have one built top notch work.
2. Malkoff P7 which you can also run in a solaforce body with a 18650 or in a 3P clone body

Stay Safe.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Call Malkoff and tell him you want an M60 MC-E in Direct drive. Then your wall of light will definitely be twice that of the Dereelight MC-E. Gene told me that I can expect in excess of 900 lumens if using an 18650. I have no way to test for actual lumens, but my DX MTE M3-2 (MC-E) pales in comparison to the Malkoff.

Take it from an ex CO1 from Crossroads Correctional Facility (level 5). I wish I had my Malkoff back there in Missouri!

I was hoping to use 2 - 3 x 18650's. Will Gene's M60 MMC-E with direct drive work with this?

supawabb

Newly Enlightened

Photos? :whistle:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping to use 2 - 3 x 18650's. Will Gene's M60 MMC-E with direct drive work with this?

NO,

Direct Drive MC-E is good for up to 4.2volts or a single cell. Also, hold off on the Direct drive purchase from Gene Malkoff. It appears the direct drive may be too much for the driver in the P60 design and the board is heating up due to not enough room for adequate heatsinking. Hence, my MC-E from Malkoff made 406 lumens out the front when warm. Check the Lumens Sphere Mr.Gman has here. Gene is working on this and if you wait a couple weeks MrGman will test the heatsinking theory courtesy of 2 MC-E supplied by Gene for the new Lumens test. This kind of effort Gene goes through makes me appreciate him as a person and business man even more.

Go Gene go..:D:D

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Then Direct drive will not work for me. I am thinking either a 2 x 18650 OR 3 x 18650 Leef body, SF 6P head and tailcap. The dereelight will work with 1 - 3 x 18650's (already spoken to Alan). Need to call up Gene tomorrow and talk to him I think.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Just get a Trustfire P7C 2x18650 1 mode. Plenty of sidespill super bright 44 bucks for the whole light and I would say 700 out the front what more could you need.

jblackwood

Enlightened
According to the sticky in the General Forums section showing real tests in a sphere, the Malkoff's highest reading in a host is 480 when first turned on and 406 when warm.

In his post entitled "**500+ REAL Lumens!!** Dereelight DBS MC-E's Are Here!" (I'm trying not to hotlink) Flashcrazy (Jay) says he gets over 500 lumens with AW CR123's. All I know is that when I compare it to my Dereelight with an R2 pill, the entire spot is much brighter than the tiny spot on the R2 DBS. How would a Dereelight MC-E pill work in a 6P host? Some people use two RCR123's in the smaller hosts in order to use it in small bursts (it gets really hot).I'm not in any way affiliated with Dereelight and I own a Malkoff M60 which I use avidly (it's the nicest beam I own when I take tint into account). I don't own a Malkoff MC-E. I only state these facts now so that all the Malkoff fanboys don't jump on me trying to accuse me of hiding these things.

One other thing . . . if room lighting is what you need,supawabb, I'd assume that you would need it for law enforcement. Every day you do without, you're risking yourself, right? Gene Malkoff is a great manufacturer and I myself participated in the mad rush for his latest flashlight host. I nabbed one but over 100 were gone before it had been up for 5 hours (less, if memory serves me). His MC-E's are still out of stock as they have been since the "first run" after their release. His stuff is great and it sells out because of his reputation (before someone else says this), but that can be a little frustrating, esp. when more than your job is on the line and your equipment helps to safeguard more than just your hobby.

You could order the specialized D26 OP reflector for the CL1H MC-E from China which would take about 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, use the OP reflector for the CL1H with an MC-E pill from Flashcrazy and it would be in your hands by Wednesday, maybe Thursday or Friday at the latest. I've personally dropped my MC-E pill in my CL1H with it's OP reflector (the one that's not optimized for the MC-E) and in a 20x20 room, I can't detect the cross in the middle that so many people swear makes the beam look "horrible."

Please take my words for what you think they're worth.

Last edited:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spend $125+$60=$185 for a Malkoff+6P and wait until you could actually get the Malkoff.Or spend $99 for the whole light from flashcrazy? HELLO McFLY!!!
crackup.gif
crackup.gif
crackup.gif

cfromc

Enlightened
Spend $125+$60=$185 for a Malkoff+6P and wait until you could actually get the Malkoff.Or spend $99 for the whole light from flashcrazy? HELLO McFLY!!!
crackup.gif
crackup.gif
crackup.gif

Price isn't everything. I have two triples, a Malkoff and a Terralux. The Malkoff cost triple and the difference is obvious after about 10 seconds and the Malkoff IS triple the value. I also have a Dereelight P60 and a couple Malkoff P60s. The Malkoffs are double the price and more than double the value. The beam, fit, and build quality beats the Dereelight P60 hands down. The Dereelight is great for a user light but I would not trust my life to it, even at 1/10 the price of the Malkoffs.

For any home defense, LEO, Prison Guard, SAR, Fireman, or any other life-and-death use, I would go Malkoff or SureFire. If your life is on the line, why not have the best equipment?

electric sheep

Enlightened
I have the 2.4a Dereelight rather than the 2.1a and it is near 600 lumen's out the front and extremely bright. have a Direct Drive on order so will test to see how it contrasts.

Axion

Enlightened
I'd go with the Malkoff for the heat sinking alone. If you look at the design of the Deerelight pills (I have a MC-E DBS) there isn't that much contact between the pill and the reflector (maybe two threads worth). On the other hand I wrapped some aluminum foil tape around my M30 and it makes solid contact all the way around in a 6P body. I'd trust the much more if I was planning on running 400+ lumen for any extended period of time.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me try this again.You can't actually buy the Malkoff because there are non(at $125) but you can buy the P60 MC-E from Deree($62)!!!!Heat sinking is only important if you are running the light for more than 5 minutes!If you have not check a room in this time you do not belong in law enforcement!!!! HELLO McFLY! (Watch Back-To-The-Future if you don't understand):twothumbsAnd as far as quality goes-if you can prove a Malkoff is significantly superior to a Deree-you can have my AE HID!:crackup::crackup::crackup:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW-if you think I have something against Gene or his products-I stayed up all night last week to be one of the first to buy a MD2! And I am waiting patiently to buy one of his next batch of M30W's.
grinser2.gif
grinser2.gif
grinser2.gif