NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff Vs. Dereelight MC-E

Default Malkoff Vs. Dereelight MC-E

Here is my dilema... I need a room flooder. I am a corrections officer and want something that will light up EVERYTHING that is from 10 - 30 feet away. A wall of light...

I've seen a couple of the Malkoff mc-e beam shots and they are awesome. Hows the Dereelight mc-e compare? Keep in mind that the Malkoff is double the price. Is it double the wall of light? Both have claims of 400 lumens.
    *Dereelight DBS 3SD *Mag 3D - Malkoff *Pelican 7060 *2 x Lego Surefires (M60 & MC-E)

Default Re: Malkoff Vs. Dereelight MC-E

You're using this in a potentially dangerous scenario and you're worried about price?
    Go not to the Flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that.

Rothrandir, first off... I never said that I was worried about price. If you read clearly, I ask if the "Malkoff is double the price. Is it double the wall of light?"

Secondly, thank you for your helpful reply. Really narrowed it down for me with all your useful info.
    *Dereelight DBS 3SD *Mag 3D - Malkoff *Pelican 7060 *2 x Lego Surefires (M60 & MC-E)

Sorry, I just see so many people trying to make comparisons based on price alone...it's a big pet peeve of mine.

I have no experience with the Dereelight so I'll leave others to make a recommendation on the matter.
    I would doubt that the Malkoff is twice as bright, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were twice the value.
    Go not to the Flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that.

I don't have the Malkoff but I do own the Deree MC-E.It will light up an entire room clearly.The great thing is it's size-5 inches long and only 1 3/8 inches at it's widest point.You can carry it in any pocket and hardly notice it.
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

I have a Malkoff MC-E, DX MC-E, and P7 all P60 D26 style with similar Lumens out the front readings. The Malkoff will give you more flood because it uses his 20 degree optic. To my eyes the Malkoff will give way more flood. I used to have the Malkoff P7 P60 drop-in and the MC-E appears to give more flood than anything I have tried.

For the most possible flood the Malkoff is going to deliver at least 25% more than any other quad emitter. Plus, you get the Malkoff quality and heatsinking technology.

If you go with Dereelight you will have more throw, but a lot less flood. Seems like Malkoff is what you are looking for.
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Flashaholic*

Call Malkoff and tell him you want an M60 MC-E in Direct drive. Then your wall of light will definitely be twice that of the Dereelight MC-E. Gene told me that I can expect in excess of 900 lumens if using an 18650. I have no way to test for actual lumens, but my DX MTE M3-2 (MC-E) pales in comparison to the Malkoff.

Take it from an ex CO1 from Crossroads Correctional Facility (level 5). I wish I had my Malkoff back there in Missouri!

Malkoff is the way to go. But what I would do is get a MAC customs P7 in a 1D Mag running off one rechargeable 18650. Itís a little short but fatter than the Deerlight. If you are concerned about size and want to always keep it on your duty belt get the Malakoff P7 with any number of hosts available. If you want real small (pocket friendly) Surefire 3P or clone with the Malkoff P7 is great. I have all these lights the only one I sold off is the Deerlight hell of a thrower though.

So 1. MAC customs P7 in a 1D Mag running off one rechargeable 18650 UNBELEVABLE! Just PM him to have one built top notch work.
    2. Malkoff P7 which you can also run in a solaforce body with a 18650 or in a 3P clone body

Stay Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post
    Call Malkoff and tell him you want an M60 MC-E in Direct drive. Then your wall of light will definitely be twice that of the Dereelight MC-E. Gene told me that I can expect in excess of 900 lumens if using an 18650. I have no way to test for actual lumens, but my DX MTE M3-2 (MC-E) pales in comparison to the Malkoff.

Take it from an ex CO1 from Crossroads Correctional Facility (level 5). I wish I had my Malkoff back there in Missouri!
    I was hoping to use 2 - 3 x 18650's. Will Gene's M60 MMC-E with direct drive work with this?

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post

Photos?

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    I was hoping to use 2 - 3 x 18650's. Will Gene's M60 MMC-E with direct drive work with this?

NO,

Direct Drive MC-E is good for up to 4.2volts or a single cell. Also, hold off on the Direct drive purchase from Gene Malkoff. It appears the direct drive may be too much for the driver in the P60 design and the board is heating up due to not enough room for adequate heatsinking. Hence, my MC-E from Malkoff made 406 lumens out the front when warm. Check the Lumens Sphere Mr.Gman has here. Gene is working on this and if you wait a couple weeks MrGman will test the heatsinking theory courtesy of 2 MC-E supplied by Gene for the new Lumens test. This kind of effort Gene goes through makes me appreciate him as a person and business man even more.

Go Gene go..
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Then Direct drive will not work for me. I am thinking either a 2 x 18650 OR 3 x 18650 Leef body, SF 6P head and tailcap. The dereelight will work with 1 - 3 x 18650's (already spoken to Alan). Need to call up Gene tomorrow and talk to him I think.

Just get a Trustfire P7C 2x18650 1 mode. Plenty of sidespill super bright 44 bucks for the whole light and I would say 700 out the front what more could you need.

According to the sticky in the General Forums section showing real tests in a sphere, the Malkoff's highest reading in a host is 480 when first turned on and 406 when warm.

In his post entitled "**500+ REAL Lumens!!** Dereelight DBS MC-E's Are Here!" (I'm trying not to hotlink) Flashcrazy (Jay) says he gets over 500 lumens with AW CR123's. All I know is that when I compare it to my Dereelight with an R2 pill, the entire spot is much brighter than the tiny spot on the R2 DBS. How would a Dereelight MC-E pill work in a 6P host? Some people use two RCR123's in the smaller hosts in order to use it in small bursts (it gets really hot).I'm not in any way affiliated with Dereelight and I own a Malkoff M60 which I use avidly (it's the nicest beam I own when I take tint into account). I don't own a Malkoff MC-E. I only state these facts now so that all the Malkoff fanboys don't jump on me trying to accuse me of hiding these things.

One other thing . . . if room lighting is what you need,supawabb, I'd assume that you would need it for law enforcement. Every day you do without, you're risking yourself, right? Gene Malkoff is a great manufacturer and I myself participated in the mad rush for his latest flashlight host. I nabbed one but over 100 were gone before it had been up for 5 hours (less, if memory serves me). His MC-E's are still out of stock as they have been since the "first run" after their release. His stuff is great and it sells out because of his reputation (before someone else says this), but that can be a little frustrating, esp. when more than your job is on the line and your equipment helps to safeguard more than just your hobby.

You could order the specialized D26 OP reflector for the CL1H MC-E from China which would take about 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, use the OP reflector for the CL1H with an MC-E pill from Flashcrazy and it would be in your hands by Wednesday, maybe Thursday or Friday at the latest. I've personally dropped my MC-E pill in my CL1H with it's OP reflector (the one that's not optimized for the MC-E) and in a 20x20 room, I can't detect the cross in the middle that so many people swear makes the beam look "horrible."

Please take my words for what you think they're worth.
    Last edited by jblackwood; 03-22-2009 at 03:57 AM.
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

Spend $125+$60=$185 for a Malkoff+6P and wait until you could actually get the Malkoff.Or spend $99 for the whole light from flashcrazy? HELLO McFLY!!!
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREAS FERRARI View Post
    Spend $125+$60=$185 for a Malkoff+6P and wait until you could actually get the Malkoff.Or spend $99 for the whole light from flashcrazy? HELLO McFLY!!!
    Price isn't everything. I have two triples, a Malkoff and a Terralux. The Malkoff cost triple and the difference is obvious after about 10 seconds and the Malkoff IS triple the value. I also have a Dereelight P60 and a couple Malkoff P60s. The Malkoffs are double the price and more than double the value. The beam, fit, and build quality beats the Dereelight P60 hands down. The Dereelight is great for a user light but I would not trust my life to it, even at 1/10 the price of the Malkoffs.

For any home defense, LEO, Prison Guard, SAR, Fireman, or any other life-and-death use, I would go Malkoff or SureFire. If your life is on the line, why not have the best equipment?
    Unless otherwise noted, anything I ship within the US comes with delivery confirmation

I have the 2.4a Dereelight rather than the 2.1a and it is near 600 lumen's out the front and extremely bright. have a Direct Drive on order so will test to see how it contrasts.

I'd go with the Malkoff for the heat sinking alone. If you look at the design of the Deerelight pills (I have a MC-E DBS) there isn't that much contact between the pill and the reflector (maybe two threads worth). On the other hand I wrapped some aluminum foil tape around my M30 and it makes solid contact all the way around in a 6P body. I'd trust the much more if I was planning on running 400+ lumen for any extended period of time.

Let me try this again.You can't actually buy the Malkoff because there are non(at $125) but you can buy the P60 MC-E from Deree($62)!!!!Heat sinking is only important if you are running the light for more than 5 minutes!If you have not check a room in this time you do not belong in law enforcement!!!! HELLO McFLY! (Watch Back-To-The-Future if you don't understand)And as far as quality goes-if you can prove a Malkoff is significantly superior to a Deree-you can have my AE HID!

BTW-if you think I have something against Gene or his products-I stayed up all night last week to be one of the first to buy a MD2! And I am waiting patiently to buy one of his next batch of M30W's.

Last night i ran my CL1H V4 at 2.4a and 600 lumen for ten minutes handheld while i illuminated a river bed and watched the fish. I could see to the river bed through five feet of water and my girlfriend was amazed at the lights power. No heat problems when hand held outside. the Dereelight hosts seem to set a great path for the heat to the hand. Would run to flat on two RC123's no problem without overheating so long it's not indoors out of the hand.

A 2 ~ 3 18650 host sounds like an improvised aluminium 'Kubotan' that just happens to also put out a decent 400Lm+ flood of light!
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

I have the two 18650 extension and its more like 600 lumen and yes a neat little force applier.

Flashaholic*

Look, there are a lot of people on here with a great deal of smarts and expertise. All the lights suggested are great lights, no doubt. However, this light will fill one highly specialized need....That of a Corrections Officer. I know I'm new here, so let me help to explain what he needs it for. Then, maybe everyone can collectively come up with a better light than me.

A Corrections Officer (CO1 or CO2) is, for all intents and purposes, in prison for 8 to 12 hours a day. We basically live with inmates for 8 to 12 hours a day. These are real people with families and friends who come to visit. They're not monsters (some are, to be sure). For your safety, the safety of others, and on the basis of good morals and ethics, the CO1 needs to treat every inmate with respect. 16 hours a day most inmates are allowed to roam freely within the confines of their respective blocks. They have keys to their cells, and the ability to congregate freely during those times. It's not like the movies where they are locked in a cell with a cell door made out of bars. It's a door with a 3X18 inch window we can look into. That light will be used ALOT to toss an inmates cell looking for contraband, so a bright o'l hotspot will just help to mask contraband behind an eye-burning hotspot at less than 3 feet.

Now, let's say this guy works at a level 5 penitentiary. That's maximum security, with murderers, rapists, and the worst of the worst. Most will never get out, and have nothing better to do than spend all day thinking of ways to get back at the "cops" and the CO2 will fit that bill nicely. So the OP needs to treat them all like men, and try not to piss anyone off. That leads me to my suggestion of the Malkoff M60W MC-E.

The OP can't just shine a light in an inmate's eyes that has a hot spot soo bright that it burns retinas. That's just going to upset the inmate, and all 50 of his Arian Brotherhood friends! He needs a light, like he said, that is pure flood. No hotspot at all. For the confines of a prison, there is no need for throw any further than 140 feet. We have spotlights for the yard and the bug zapper fences. And at as close to 400 lumens as possible, he is now limited to an MC-E or a P7 in a host that can handle 2 or 3 18650's.

My suggesting is for the Malkoff M60Warm MC-E dropin. It's been sold out for a while but can be special ordered my calling Gene Malkoff. Then get a Fivemega 2x18650 or Leef 2x18650 from lighthound.com, some AW 18650 batteries and a charger. Get an extension tube to stretch it to 3 18650's if you want, but I would imagine that the 2x18650 will get the job done. Just keep the extention tube tucked away in the control pod.

SO there it is guys, those are some of the reasons why he needs a pure flood light with 2 or 3 18650 capability.

I would go for Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E with extension tube for two 18650's. With the orange peel reflector it is almost pure flood but for more flood UCL do tape for a few dollars that will kill all throw. The 2.1a is 500 lumen and with two 18650's you will have enough run time. Great quality and won't let you down.

Can you actually buy a Malkoff TODAY? If not, isn't it better to go with another manufacturer or wait in the dark until a Malkoff becomes available?

I've visited Gene's site dozens of times in the past year. I'm sorry, but every item I was interested in was always out of stock. A Maglight Solitare in hand is better than an unavailable Malkoff Super Mark 29 Bin 6.7 3,500 lumins 1.25 volt flood.
    Last edited by Mach1; 03-23-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    I would go for Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E with extension tube for two 18650's. With the orange peel reflector it is almost pure flood but for more flood UCL do tape for a few dollars that will kill all throw. The 2.1a is 500 lumen and with two 18650's you will have enough run time. Great quality and won't let you down.
    Really nice light for $99! That's great that you get extra orings, tailcap rubber and the ability to select so many different pills. Upgradeable too? I think I found my next light. Now I just need to figure out which pill to get first. Thanks for the tip.

And Mach 1, All I did was call Gene and ask him to make an MC-E for me and he had it done that day. Cathy shipped it USPS Express to me the next morning. All I had to do was Paypal him the money with instructions for Cathy. Gene is so busy that he has to prioritize, and apparently the M30's are a higher priority. Moddoo just bought 8 of them, and 6 or more sold out in less than a day. You can't wait until he has time to make them, gotta put forth more effort and call or email him. Gene is so great, he WILL call you back (probably personally) and take care of you.

Quality of Dereelight is great and i have had no problems with any pill's. Run on two RC123's it's pocketable or like me carry it in a Maxpedition sheath. The MC-E and reflector give a stunning beam and the R2 with smooth reflector gives a laser like beam. I prefer the look of a SureFire but cannot fault the Dereelight on performance. If Surefires came 18650's ready i would go Dereelight drop in and 6P but as it is i can't deal with the hassle of getting a 6P body bored. The Dereelight is a match in every way except looking like a Surefire.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREAS FERRARI View Post
    And as far as quality goes-if you can prove a Malkoff is significantly superior to a Deree-you can have my AE HID!
    Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. What is that AE HID worth $$$ and what type of output does it have. Your tempting me to take you up on that. MrGman

MrGman,I did say prove that a Malkoff is SIGNIFICANTLY superior to a Deree when it comes to QUALITY-how do you propose to do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast