Klarus        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kuukuu Mokume Killer

Default Re: Sorta looks like a Killer

It's very spiffy.

Fred, it now looks like a Zebra. I like the shinny, tri color all polished up version myself better. If handled it will pantina by itself in time.

I would try to bake it in your oven or even apply a flame to the material. The copper should oxidize at the elevated temperatures and darken. You can practice with some clean pennies first.

Flashaholic*

Thanks, Jim, yup--it does look like a zebra now that you point it out. I am inclined to agree with you that perhaps a natural patina and some wear will make the light look best. Although RocketTomato's suggestion might be worth exploring, too. That would be one way to develop some color contrast without having to do the invasive etching.

I may play with that approach with the test piece today.
    PhotonFanatic—fanatic@photonfanatic.com
    CPF Custom Builders and Modders
    My Blog

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post
    And, generally speaking, there aren't a lot of shiny metal antiques kicking around. Maybe I will go for the subdued, non-shiny look after all.
    I really like the idea of that, Fred. It's clear and obvious that this is no antique, yet it's got an old-school look to it. No school like the old school!

That pattern rocks! Do the etched areas provide some grip as well? (Not that this would be an EDC where you'd need extreme grip, but just wondering!)

john

Flashaholic*

John,

There is certainly a noticeable texture to the surface, but not one that I would characterize as 'grippy.' It feels nice, as your fingers do notice the difference in heights between the two metals.
    My Blog

It looks better without the patina. Nobody is ever going to believe that an LED flashlight is old enough to be that oxidized, so you might as well enjoy the shiny metal now and enjoy the patina when it's actually old enough to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    It looks better without the patina. Nobody is ever going to believe that an LED flashlight is old enough to be that oxidized, so you might as well enjoy the shiny metal now and enjoy the patina when it's actually old enough to have one.
    I think this is a matter of opinion, cause I dig the patina look (then again, I like blasted Ti too) - it's got a really cool worn-in look. Not trying to fake anyone, just trying for something different (which is part of what makes Fred's lights so unique).

How's about this for that "broken in" look: the Gibson F5 Distressed Master Model Mandolin - only $25,000 for a brand new instrument that's made to look like it's 86 years old. It beats buying a 1923 Loyd Loar Gibson F5 mandolin though... those will run you $150,000 if it's not in great shape.

Wait, what's this thread about? Oh yeah - Fred's lights "rock".

john

Flashaholic*

Different strokes for different folks.

While I like shiny and smooth, the Mokume Killer was such a learning experience, that I had no roadmap to achieve what I thought I wanted. so I took what came along and went with it. In this case, the etching created some texture, which I tried to highlight through sanding with very fine paper, then I applied the patina solution, which actually seemed to make the nickel silver darker, so I sanded again, managing to remove some of the copper's patina in sections. That created some additional color, which looked interesting.

Sent some photos off to the buyer, yes, jch79, and he liked it, so I completed the job by applying a layer of Renaissance Wax.

Just waiting now for my new 90mA drivers to arrive and then John can have some fun taking photos, too.

The next Mokume light, I will skip the etching, and perhaps try some other method of developing the patina.
    My Blog

Just waiting now for my new 90mA drivers to arrive and then John can have some fun taking photos, too.
    And have fun he will! Thinkin' up some good backgrounds.

john

Sent some photos off to the buyer, yes, jch79, and he liked it...
    I *KNEW IT*!
    Another fine light for the collection, J!

I really like the way it turned out.
    Beautiful!!!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Different strokes for different folks.

While I like shiny and smooth, the Mokume Killer was such a learning experience, that I had no roadmap to achieve what I thought I wanted. so I took what came along and went with it. In this case, the etching created some texture, which I tried to highlight through sanding with very fine paper, then I applied the patina solution, which actually seemed to make the nickel silver darker, so I sanded again, managing to remove some of the copper's patina in sections. That created some additional color, which looked interesting.

Sent some photos off to the buyer, yes, jch79, and he liked it, so I completed the job by applying a layer of Renaissance Wax.

The next Mokume light, I will skip the etching, and perhaps try some other method of developing the patina.
    Love the etching and patina and there are lots of single color metals to do shiny with. By all means try some other methods, but definitely do more with the etching in the future too.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Default Re: The Kuukuu Mokume Killer

Well, um...hmm. I have to say the final version definitely looks better than I thought it would, since you were set on etching it.

jch79, of course it's a matter of opinion; did it even need to be said?

The eagle has landed!

What else can I say but !

The Kuukuu Mokume Killer is truly a beauty to hold, to feel, and to look at. Its weight is heavier than I imagined - it makes it feel "substantially tiny". The ridges from the etching are awesome to rub your fingers over - the double-etched "patina" look is really cool too. The threading is perfect (something that scares me with etched lights), and the machining tweaks from the standard Killer design rock!

And 90mA of nicely tinted 5mm LED goodness comes out of it to boot! And while this light will be loved and taken care of, it's too cool not to pocket carry every so often.

Fred continues to outdo himself, and the only sad part about owning one of his lights is that he's constantly refining his art, and the next one is going to all the more cool!

What can I say - I'm coocoo for the Kuukuu.

john

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jch79 View Post
    . . . The threading is perfect (something that scares me with etched lights), and the machining tweaks from the standard Killer design rock!
    . . .

john
    John,

Maybe the threads are so smooth because they were not etched?

I used a UV curable masking compound to protect the threads and the O-ring landings from the etchant--it seems to have worked fine with the ferric chloride, but I don't know how well it would work with a more aggressive etchant--but that's what experimentation is all about.

Nice pics, btw!
    My Blog

Flashaholic*

very very nice

jch79

Very very very nice! I've got to finish my studies (thesis actually) and start proper work to have one "commissioned". Till then, I can always appreciate the effort that goes into every one of these masterpieces and dream! *Now where's that cloud 9 emoticon?*

Cheers!
    Sami
    Mag Solitaire | Mag 2D KD Aspheric/Q5 | RC-N3 Q5 | Aurora AK-P7-3 | Mag 3D P7 DSWOI DD | Mag 2D P7 HipCC | Nitecore EZ AA | Neutral-white Quark Mini-AA

Absolutely beautiful

Flashaholic*

Almost as nice as the Kuukuu Mokume Gane Killer, is this great desktop background photo that John sent me.

My Blog

Again.............Fred,you nailed it!
    LIST ???
    1. you know who (griff)
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

I'm curious how much one of these would cost, if Fred were to make a run of, say, 10 of them.

Flashaholic*

Probably close to $400 each--presuming I could get enough Mokume Gane stock.
    My Blog

Very nice Fred
    BTW mokume gane means ... metal wood,referring to the grain pattern

are you going to make some more of these?
    I know enough about mokume to get into trouble

I make mokume gane
    I use pure silver and pure(ofc)copper

I only use it for my knives
    part of the process involves forging a decent pattern into it.
    this results in a fairly thin piece of material
    which is what I want for knife bolsters

there are some good sources of mokume available here...

Pattern Gallery

heres a pic of some on a knife I made

I also have some beads for sale
    cheers Jason
    Last edited by DM51; 04-29-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Stack photos vertically

Flashaholic*

Jason,

Make me some silver/copper 1" rounds, about 12" long, and I'll be vary happy.

Nice Mokume in slabs is easy to buy, but rounds are another story.
    My Blog

yes thats right
    I made a billet starting at 1"X 3" X 5"
    27 layers of silver and copper
    cost of silver was $500
    we worked out the electric kiln cost $60 just in electricity to fire the kiln over 12 hours
    we also turned a billet into sludge ...totally melted into useless crud mixed with charcoal bits
    I cant think how hard it would be to put some decent pattern into a round bar
    I've tried twisting some before but it doesn't work

James Binion makes rings out of palladium/gold/platinum

brand new here and still can not figure out how to send someone a message. i would like some help with tritium and also like to purchase a tritium light

Here is a link to a German producer of Mokume Gane
    http://www.schichtwerk.com/englisch/.../products.html

As you can see they even produce torsion rods, unfortunately those are a bit thin with a diameter of about 7-8mm, but I really like the look of them. They won't come cheap though (copper/silver or palladium/silver).

/paul
    Post Tenebras Lux

$400 each?? Holy crap!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by herrgurka View Post
    Here is a link to a German producer of Mokume Gane
    http://www.schichtwerk.com/englisch/.../products.html

As you can see they even produce torsion rods, unfortunately those are a bit thin with a diameter of about 7-8mm, but I really like the look of them. They won't come cheap though (copper/silver or palladium/silver).

/paul
    Thanks, Paul. I will e-mail them and see if they can produce a larger diameter rod. Those are quite attractive.

I have actually commissioned a maker to produce a precious metal Mokume Gane tube for me. He's very sure that he will be able to come up with an OD of 21mm and enough length to make one CR123 light. The end of the battery tube will have to be soldered in place, of course. I believe the blend will be silver, white palladium gold and red gold.

And if, deusexaethera, is wow'ed by the price of the common Mokume Gane lights, he will be left speechless when he hears the price of the precious metal Mokume Gane light.

Needless to say, I'm not planning a production run of precious metal Mokume Gane lights.
    My Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast