• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Kuukuu Mokume Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found lying around the lathe--not sure what this is?

MG-4.jpg

MG-1.jpg

Final version--now dubbed the Kuukuu Mokume Killer--the word kuukuu is Swahili for "old, worn out".

Waxed-1.jpg

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sorta looks like a Killer

Looks like copper and ????
I like it and :takeit: (of course with the 80mA driver and 4 die LED) :grin2:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Timascus ????
Looks COOL:candle:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like copper and ????
I like it and :takeit: (of course with the 80mA driver and 4 die LED) :grin2:

Copper and nickel silver, according to the lab that I sent it to for analysis. Wanted to be sure it wasn't carcinogenic. Actually, nickel-silver can be problematic for some people. Maybe I should throw it out?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Copper and nickel silver, according to the lab that I sent it to for analysis. Wanted to be sure it wasn't carcinogenic. Actually, nickel-silver can be problematic for some people. Maybe I should throw it out?
Nooo! don't throw it out it will have to be disposed of safley,send it to me and I can safley dispose of it for you.

Mind you I find that stuff easier to dispose of if you include the 80mA driver and 4 die LED, safety reasons you understand :naughty:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

My trashcan welcomes it , and all other trash coming from your shop..:green::devil:

moeman

Enlightened

Well I am certified to handle/dispose of haz-mat/haz-waste. So I could take care of it....

It is very nice. How was it to work with? Is it expensive material?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since it is mostly copper, it cuts like copper, i.e., a bit gummy and grabby at times, especially so with the addition of the nickel silver. But overall, except for the drilling, it wasn't too bad to deal with.

Expensive? Yes, anything hand forged is expensive, regardless of the materials. This particular piece was over $25 an inch, which is about what a 6' bar of 1" diameter aluminum sells for. Let's see that would make a 6' bar worth $1,800--not that one can buy a 6" length of Mokume Gane. :devil:

wvaltakis2

Enlightened

Sorta looks like we have the same shop fairies, I found a similar "random" piece laying around my lathe:thinking:
IMAG0182-1.jpg

Nice work Fred, I guess it wound up threading ok after all:party:. The pics look great and I'm sure they don't even do it justice, I'm sure there will be even more amazing stuff coming from your direction.

~Chip

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a new, to me, metal combination that requires some sort of etching, or coloring, or perhaps even etching and coloring, to bring out the pattern.

Today I decided to play with a sample of the Mokume Gane, one that I had sanded and polished to a nice, smooth finish. Here are some shots before the etching. One can clearly see the pattern, but the depends a lot on the angle of the light coming off the piece:

Unetched-3.jpg

The color differences alone are defining the pattern here, for the most part, although this macro seems to show the copper being a smidgen lower than the nickel silver.

After etching, with ferric chloride:

Etched-2.jpg

Etched-4.jpg

Now the pattern is easier to notice, since the difference in height between the two metals is greater. I'm not sure that I like the difference in height, but I will reserve judgment until I see the alternative: pattern enhancement by the darkening of the copper. My wife liked it--said it looks like jewelry, so that's one endorsement.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a crack--just some detritus--after all I did find it lying on my lathe, not known to be the cleanest in the world, unlike Anglepoise's. :devil:

This Mokume Gane is top-class, no flaking, no gaps, nothing wrong at all--I'm very pleased with it.

moeman

Enlightened

This is a new, to me, metal combination that requires some sort of etching, or coloring, or perhaps even etching and coloring, to bring out the pattern.

Today I decided to play with a sample of the Mokume Gane, one that I had sanded and polished to a nice, smooth finish. Here are some shots before the etching. One can clearly see the pattern, but the depends a lot on the angle of the light coming off the piece:

Unetched-3.jpg

The color differences alone are defining the pattern here, for the most part, although this macro seems to show the copper being a smidgen lower than the nickel silver.

After etching, with ferric chloride:

Etched-2.jpg

Etched-4.jpg

Now the pattern is easier to notice, since the difference in height between the two metals is greater. I'm not sure that I like the difference in height, but I will reserve judgment until I see the alternative: pattern enhancement by the darkening of the copper. My wife liked it--said it looks like jewelry, so that's one endorsement.

I like it too. Are you going to try to etch the light? I would like a Killer in this material if the price is not too high.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like it too. Are you going to try to etch the light? I would like a Killer in this material if the price is not too high.

I'm still undecided as to whether the light will be etched, or not. I have to order some chemicals on Monday, which will darken the copper, without etching. Once I can compare the two finishes, then I will decide. Unless something else pops up as an alternative.

As for the price of a Killer in Mokume Gane, it would be well north of the production pieces' pricing, I'm afraid. First, the cost of material is considerably higher, second, it would have to be hand machined, not done on a CNC, and finally, the Mokume Gane calls for a much higher standard of finishing than most lights. Or at least in my book it does.

Today, I spent about an hour just sanding down the four axial grooves on the light. And I still have to do the circumferential grooves, as well as the main surface of the light. And then comes the etching/coloring before final assembly. I would love to be able to make a Killer in Mokume Gane for $200, but it won't happen anytime soon, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.