Tragic loss of 3 CA police officers today

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah it's terrible and because it's Oakland it doesn't come as a surprise really.

Very true... I hate to admit it, but you're right. Not bashing Oakland. I just know the type of "stuff" that typically goes on there. :shakehead

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about we keep the focus on the loss and appreciation of the officers?

My heart goes out to their families and loved ones.
It's a damn shame, such a tragic loss.:shakehead

My prayes are with them all.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly there are now four slain officers.:sigh:

How scary. I live in the Bay Area (right next door to Oakland) but I don't watch the news very often (or TV for that matter), so I wasn't aware of this event until I read this thread.

I also work in East Oakland, not too far from where all of this happened. Right after I got off work last Thursday I saw an Oakland motorcycle cop riding by. I didn't think very much of it at the time, but upon reflection it is very eerie and unsettling.

My thoughts go out to the families of those who were slain.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts and prayers to the families, as well. I also extend them to those brave officers still out on the job, even as I write this.

IcantC

Enlightened
My prayers and condolences.

RIP brothers.

Everyone out there please don't get complacent.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Sadly I lost 3 co-workers several years past when a single man killed all 3 in an ambush type situation. It never gets any easier to deal with nor do I feel it ever will.

Any job can be dangerous however in the police career sadly many of the deaths could be prevented. Many times the officers encounter criminals who have been jailed and released several times and should not be in public to start with.

What makes so many officers angry is that while we accept the job knowing all of the dangers we should not have to worry about the added danger of the court systems making it worse. The killer in this case is one of thousands all over the world who has a serious history of violence and a very soft court system.....to put it simply he should have been off the streets long before he had the chance to kill 4 people. It matters little that they were cops but more so they were people in general. It could have been myself or any others on here or even a loved family member fall victim to people like this.

Any who know me know full well my thoughts on crime and punishment and it does help to let steam off from time to time. When my department learned of this horrible event it brought back many bad memories for us all as well as much anger towards society in general.

The part that really makes me most angry is that there are stories claiming the police were taunted. This is common on most scenes like this and was the same years back on the scene where my 3 co-workers were killed. It is sad really that over time the officers will be forgotten while the killer will be labeled as a "victim" of drugs, poor childhood, poverty or any number of other problems. There are many people in this world with problems and yes it is just as sad however it is never an excuse to kill anyone.

I had to put my thoughts to this and really do hope it does not lead this thread astray. Those officers were each one a true hero and they will surely be missed by many. I do not wish for this thread to spin into a debate of crime in a certain area or any other heated debates. The families of these officers will hurt for years to come and the streets of Oakland now have 4 less heros to keep them safe.....such a shame really.

Lets do try to keep this thread civil and again I do hope my participation does not de-rail this thread as it is not the intention....just venting a little on behalf of many officers all over the nation.

nisshin

Enlightened
What makes so many officers angry is that while we accept the job knowing all of the dangers we should not have to worry about the added danger of the court systems making it worse.
Someone on talk radio mentioned the disparity in the amount of money given to the prison system as opposed the parole officers, even though their case loads are humongous.