Differences between Jetbeam models?

sygyzy

Enlightened
I'd like to purchase a Jetbeam light but their model designations are extremely confusing. I tried opening up all the product pages as tabs from BugOutGear but soon went crazy. So far, these are what I've found. I bet there's even more. This is just for the Jet-III. I am just starting with it since it seems to be the most popular model. I have not even looked at the others yet. Can anyone tell me the difference between these models? Which is the most popular?

Jet-III
Jet-III-M
Jet-III-Military / LE
Jet-III-Pro Ultra+
Jet-III Pro ST
Jet-III Pro IBS

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The roman numeral deals with battery type:
I - AA
II - 123
III - 18650 (except M and "Broad Voltage" optioned models, which also accept 2x123)

The designations within the III series distinguish the various unique features among the models:

Jet III ST - "Slim Tube", balanced beam (discontinued but still available)
Jet III Pro - semi-thrower beam (discontinued)
Jet III Ultra - thrower beam
Jet III M/Military/LE - semi-thrower beam, stronger body, two-mode interface (one max, one IBS/user-settable), also accepts 2x123

sygyzy

Enlightened
Considering the Jet III Pro and Ultra somehow combined to be the Jet III Pro/Ultra AND the only version available is the "broad" voltage, how does that model differ from the Military? It seems there must be a difference in how the LED is driven sinec their runtimes are different at max ouput (225 lumens).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont have the specs at hand, so just a guess:

my Pro ST came with the 1st level being programmed to "full", drawing some 1.3 A from the 18650.
Way too much for my taste, as I like at least 2 hours runtime at max - programmed my "high" to a lower value.

Thats where the IBS shines, instead of other lights where one gets a fixed value, no matter what

PS: being able to set the other levels also, makes another plus.
The IBS is simply the best UI available on large scale so far.

sygyzy

Enlightened
yellow - Whatever the Pro was programmed to at the factory, does not really matter, right? It has 3 user programmable modes so you could make "high" output 2 lumens if you wanted.

As an aside, I ordered the military but I am still curious what the difference is.

Edit: I am wondering now if I should email BugOutGear and swap for the Pro Ultra ....

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems there must be a difference in how the LED is driven sinec their runtimes are different at max ouput (225 lumens).
the question regarding "how the led is driven" (=current draw) came from You, the one light running for shorter time will be driven harder
I dont get the usefulness of Your reaction
but no problem, I wont ever give my thoughts on Your questions any more

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yellow, I don't think he meant any offense, at least that's my observation. Seems like he's just trying to make sense of why the two would both produce 225 lumens but have different run-times.

For example the JetIII Pro Ultra is stated to run at 225 for 1.5 hours on a 18650.

The JetIII Military is stated to run at 225 for 3.0 hours on a 18650.

Obviously something is off there....

sygyzy

Enlightened
StarHalo - That's exactly what I was looking for. So I'll stick with my original order (the Military) since now the two lights seem identical, except the M is "beefier" build wise.

Yellow - I absolutely meant no harm. I am actually still confused where in my replies you took offense.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jet III Pro - semi-thrower beam (discontinued)
Jet III Ultra - thrower beam
That was the plan but something went wrong and Ultra isn't any better than Pro but it's significantly bigger. Shame they discontinued one of their best EDC...:thumbsdow (Military is slightly bigger, has neither IBS nor regulation with 18650).

STi

Newly Enlightened
So the Jet 2 is still in production? I thought it was an older model.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
So the Jet 2 is still in production? I thought it was an older model.

I don't think you can get a Jet II IBS anymore, but the Jet II Pro is still available.
The Jet II Pro has a clip and is just a little bit longer with a slightly smaller head and reflector than the regular Jet II IBS.

I have a Jet II IBS (not the pro) and it's probably my most favorite light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm a Jetbeam fan, i got the original Jet I Mk IIx, the Jet I Pro IBS v2, the Jet II Pro IBS and the Jet III Pro ST. Apart from the Jet I Mk IIx, the rest are programmable using the IBS and it makes the lights infinitely flexible in usage.

I find the Jet II to be more suited for EDC as it clips bezel down whereas the Jet I Pro IBS v2 that i have clips bezel up. Weighing them up, the 14500 Jet I has a longer runtime on max than the Jet II and is just slightly longer that the Jet II and a bit slimmer.

If i think that i am going to be needing a longer lasting light, i would probably carry my Jet I instead of the Jet II (heck sometimes i carry them all). I will be going to Bali sometime in June my loadout (for now) looks sorta like this:-

1. Jet III Pro ST on 18650 with 3 spare cells
2. Jet I Pro IBS v2 on 14500 with 3 spare cells
3. Fenix LD01 on 10440 with 1 spare cell (and 4 spare primary AAAs)

loadout may change or have additions to it but that should be the basic loadout.

STi

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one JETBeam JET-II PRO IBS! WOOT! The clips are a must for me and want something more flexIble than my C2H.

I Didn't get a Jet 3 because i already have RCR123A'S and charger.

Last edited:

Latest posts