T-09 Mk.II. Runtime graph added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Rebels,

As I was gladly impressed by the opinions of the owners of the first series I decided to explore a little bit more this path of the superpower palm sized lights.

First improvement was the "screw-in" modules. They are now made from aluminun alloy, which is more than enough for short runtimes, for bigger lights or for smaller LEDs. We decided to go for copper. More expensive, but way better.

Second. On this kind of lights with short runtimes on high it would be more necessary than even a two stage tailcap. On momentary you will always have full power (2800 mA to the LED), but twisting the tailcap you can get the constant low mode (250 mA to the LED) before getting the constant high mode. So, this tailcap is being made right now, with six parallel resistors to dissipate power even better.

Third, body redesign. We are increasing the surface of the light to improve thermal dissipation while on constant.

Fourth, reflector redesign. On such a small reflector for such a big die is complicated if not impossible to get a good throw avoiding some kind of hole. Well, all I can say is hat we are proud of what we get, but don't expect a thrower. (Will post pictures this week).

Fifth, Li-ION 18650 compatibility. Yes, we all now that firing a light that is expensive to switch on has its own feeling... is luxurious, a kind of shin... But for a production model it was a must to give our users the possibility of using it very often not having to ask for a second mortgage, so we changed the electronics inside the driver to allow 18650's. We are going to supply Emoli cells.

Now, I would like to know your thoughts about this!

Javier

Last edited:

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Re: T-09 Mk.II

We just talked about it, my opinion: :twothumbs

Do you plan to test the Osaram SMT led? You will loose some lumens, but get better throw. This could be an option for throw-lovers..

Seems like I have to save some money for a new barbolight... :drool:

Michael

Whistler

Enlightened

count me in !

Sounds like music.

The Li-ION 18650 compatibility is an important feature for me.

Since years I use different Barbo's for my diving in the cold waters of the Netherlands. Barbo's are the best. I tried Fa+Mi, Halcyon, Hartenberger but only the Barbo's are the real stuff for a diving flashaholic... .

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened

That sounds great. :thumbsup:
I'm definitely interested. :twothumbs

Alex

Daylight

Newly Enlightened

I'm impatient too to see the new t-09, those are very good improvements and nothing more to add because you are in all Javier!! The 2 stage switch is the best i could have heard.

Regards

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is the heart. A 2800 mA P7 module, made from copper, with low volt cut off at 2,8 V, step down high efficiency regulator.

copperpill.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think no other manufacturer has even done something like this.

Regards,

Javier

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
Re: T-09 Mk.II. Module picture posted

Really nice Javier, what is the thickness between copper base emiter and led? how much improve this the thermal management with regard to aluminium?

Waiting to see the new body too :)

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thermal conductivity of copper is 100% better than aluminun alloy. Mass of the module is three times the mass of same part made from aluminun alloy.

So basically there are two benefits.

1. Heat generated "travels faster" from the emitter to the flashlight, as copper is a highway compared to aluminun which is a good road. There is less risk of a "hot point". At the end all the heat generated on the emitter has to flow from its bottom to the flashlight body, so we have to make good paths and to avoid narrow points

2. The flashlight keeps the size, but we increase the mass, thus we need more heat to heat it. Even in vacuum it would work better.

Javier

Last edited:

grinsefalle

Enlightened

The new copper pill looks pretty nice :thumbsup:
Great to see the progress in making the flashlight able to light up on high mode for a longer continuous time without overheating.

Do you plan to offer new pills in future? For example, when new LED are available (Osram SMT) or when someone wants a warmer tint LED....

I'm waiting for pics of the new body design, too.

The T-09 or my U-04 ATEX are very handy flashlights, small power packages.
If the new one will be some mm longer, it wont't be a issue. Still handy and best choice for my duty belt.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Michael,

The idea at the end is to make a regular production item, because Barbolight is prepared for that. Is a small factory aimed to relatively small quantities of high quality flashlights.

Giving customers the choice of different LEDs, tints or some other things is OK for custom modders selling small runs at higher prices, but not viable for Barbolight and the prices we are offering for special runs. In fact behind those special runs is not Barbolight, but Barbarin.

This T-09 Mk.II is targeted at 300 € MSRP (+/- 10%) but as you all know there will be a small run for CPF people with very special conditions.

Javier

grinsefalle

Enlightened

Hello Michael,

The idea at the end is to make a regular production item, because Barbolight is prepared for that. Is a small factory aimed to relatively small quantities of high quality flashlights.
This T-09 Mk.II is targeted at 300 € MSRP (+/- 10%) but as you all know there will be a small run for CPF people with very special conditions.

Javier

Hi Javier, I understand! Thanks for your explanation.
I will start saving some money :drool:

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.