I need better throw than my DBS

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
The DBS w/ R2 is a great light, and I do love it, but I am a bit
disappointed with the throw.
I saw a very nice beam shot of all the throwers compared on this
forum somewhere. Now, I cant find it to save my soul!!!
If I remember right, the Tiablo ACE had a much brighter spot at a
long distance then the DBS.

I want a small form (about the size of the DBS) that can really THROW!
I mean, like 1000 feet!! The DBS will put out a spot, but it's rather weak.

I do not care about spill, or what kind of battery, just a nice laser like throw.

I am on the list for a DEFT, which I am sure will satisfy my needs.
But it will be months before I can get that one in my hot little psycho
hands!! :crazy:

I know this has been discussed to death, but I think I can do better in
regards to throw than my DBS.

So, if someone could help me find those cool beam shots (they compared
several, Tiablo, DBS, etc), I will book mark it, and be forever grateful to
you :)

BMF

Enlightened
You can get a Tiablo A9 with Aspherical Lens. I have DEFT but ordered the lens for my A9 because someone called this setup is Mini-DEFT.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
You can get a Tiablo A9 with Aspherical Lens. I have DEFT but ordered the lens for my A9 because someone called this setup is Mini-DEFT.

The A9 is a better thrower than the A10??

Is there a website where I can buy a A9 with the optional lens?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the A9 with the aspherical lens. Don't know how it compares to DEFT but it's really awesome. Just no comparison to the reflector A9! Practically no spillbeam, but the projected image of the LED-chip is very even illuminated with sharp edges. At hundreds of meters it will brightly illuminate entire walls of houses, like someone stood at close distance with a usual reflector light. Just impressive. Like a laser flashlight.

A little correction: The LED-chip has sharp edges if focused to the tightest spot. But if one want to have a slightly wider projection (but still very bright) it's just to turn the head until the beam will be larger and then the edges are unsharp.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The A9 is a better thrower than the A10??

The A9 with aspherical lens is better than the A10 with reflector, the standard A9 with reflector can not match the A10.

Any light with an aspherical lens is going to be a good thrower, at least if the led is correctly focused.

seaside

Enlightened
a Tiablo A9 with Aspherical Lens.

+1.

I was wondering if Mr Bunny was in the hospital or something when he doesn't show up for a while. I thought it must be Mrs Bunny. :duh2:
But I think I guessed it wrong. Mr Bunny came back with vengence of psychic thrower. it's good to see you back.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
+1.

I was wondering if Mr Bunny was in the hospital or something when he doesn't show up for a while. I thought it must be Mrs Bunny. :duh2:
But I think I guessed it wrong. Mr Bunny came back with vengence of psychic thrower. it's good to see you back.

LOL!! You can run, but you cant hide from PsychoBunny!! :huh: :duh2:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
The A9 with aspherical lens is better than the A10 with reflector, the standard A9 with reflector can not match the A10.

Any light with an aspherical lens is going to be a good thrower, at least if the led is correctly focused.

How come they dont offer a collimator head for the ACE??!!
At 700lm's, seems like that would be a better upgrade choice than
the A9!?
Am I missing something? :ohgeez:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the DBS doesn't do it for you I'm sure the A10 or ACE will fall short also,in fact unless you get a DEFT I doubt any aspherical lens set up will satisfy you.No! what you need is one from this little lot a 75w maxabeam or similar :devil:

HKJ

Flashaholic
How come they dont offer a collimator head for the ACE??!!
At 700lm's, seems like that would be a better upgrade choice than
the A9!?
Am I missing something? :ohgeez:

P7 and MC-E leds does not look good with a aspherical, there is a reason the DEFT is with a single die led.

jankj

Enlightened
If the surface area of the LED were the same in A10 Edit: ACE as in A9, but 4 times brighter, well then we would be talking about aspheric super throw :D

The XR-E led in A10 Edit: ACE is basically 4 leds in one chip, 4 times as big as a conventional led. In an aspheric it will project an image of these 4 leds. The hot spot will not be brighter and will not thow further than the A9 aspheric, but will be 4 times bigger. And there will be a black cross in this hot spot, corresponding to the lines between the 4 individual dies.

Also, the optic performance will be worse when the light emitting area is larger. To comensate for this the lense should be larger in diameter. If the diameter is kept constant, the aspheric A10 Edit: ACE should actually throw slightly LESS than the aspheric A9. . .

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the surface area of the LED were the same in A10 as in A9, but 4 times brighter, well then we would be talking about aspheric super throw :D

The XR-E led in A10 is basically 4 leds in one chip, 4 times as big as a conventional led.
I'm sure you meant TIABLO ACE the A10 is in fact a single die led R2 :thumbsup:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
If the DBS doesn't do it for you I'm sure the A10 or ACE will fall short also,in fact unless you get a DEFT I doubt any aspherical lens set up will satisfy you.No! what you need is one from this little lot a 75w maxabeam or similar :devil:

I would LOOOOVE to have a maxabeam :grin2:

Know where I can get one for under $500.00? :faint:

(one that still works that is!)

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
If the surface area of the LED were the same in A10 as in A9, but 4 times brighter, well then we would be talking about aspheric super throw :D

The XR-E led in A10 is basically 4 leds in one chip, 4 times as big as a conventional led. In an aspheric it will project an image of these 4 leds. The hot spot will not be brighter and will not thow further than the A9 aspheric, but will be 4 times bigger. And there will be a black cross in this hot spot, corresponding to the lines between the 4 individual dies.

Also, the optic performance will be worse when the light emitting area is larger. To comensate for this the lense should be larger in diameter. If the diameter is kept constant, the aspheric A10 should actually throw slightly LESS than the aspheric A9. . .

Thanks for that explanation. It seems that even though the ACE has more
surface area with the LED's, one could make a deeper reflector (and wider) and end up with a super thrower!?
How did Wayne design his DEFT? I think he is using a single LED!?
Seems like there would be a way to focus those 4 spaced apart LED's
into a single concentrated beam w/o the "+" shadow in the middle!?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
The DBS w/ R2 is a great light, and I do love it, but I am a bit
disappointed with the throw.
I saw a very nice beam shot of all the throwers compared on this
forum somewhere. Now, I cant find it to save my soul!!!
If I remember right, the Tiablo ACE had a much brighter spot at a
long distance then the DBS.

I want a small form (about the size of the DBS) that can really THROW!
I mean, like 1000 feet!! The DBS will put out a spot, but it's rather weak.

I do not care about spill, or what kind of battery, just a nice laser like throw.

I am on the list for a DEFT, which I am sure will satisfy my needs.
But it will be months before I can get that one in my hot little psycho
hands!! :crazy:

I know this has been discussed to death, but I think I can do better in
regards to throw than my DBS.

So, if someone could help me find those cool beam shots (they compared
several, Tiablo, DBS, etc), I will book mark it, and be forever grateful to
you :)

Didn't you just get the DBS???

See what CPF does to a person?? Mark my words everyone, This place is the greatest conundrum...Giving you satisfaction, while never really giving it!!:confused:

bullettproof

Enlightened
I got an A9 with Aspheric head yesterday. And it will throw 600+ yards with a useful visible view and fit in your pocket!!!! Im impressed its amazing.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Actually it's Michael,yes he is using the same led as in the A10 R2 as well as Q5 :thumbsup:

Yikes! that's embarrassing!! I meant Michael :oops:

I must have been thinking ElekroLumens!

I hope he doesn't see this, I'll get bumped to the end of the line! LOL! :laughing:

Last edited: