question on the ARC kroll switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the kroll switch made for the mini-mag that I bought off dat2zip along with a sandwich and I'm not really impressed with it as I think it's rather cheesy. Is the switch used on the Arc LS any better quality? I have yet to buy an Arc LS with a tail cap switch and would like user's impressions if they've had experience with both switches.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's the same switch...

unfortunately...unless you want a ram switch (many have reported worse quality...), it's the only option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

when will someone else step up to the plate?!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
peter...you know how i feel about those one word posts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

are you saying that there will be a replacement for the kroll?! made by you?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Heh, see the Arc LS4 thread. The LS4 will have a new switch design.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes...but i was hoping for a replacement for the kroll.

actually...i mainly want them because of a couple custom projects in the works using a kroll... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
Peter, I assume your "replacement for the Kroll" is the switch for the planned LS4.

Is that a membrane switch or is it a mechanical.

If mechanical, does it have any overcenter feel?

In any case, is there tactile feedback?

====

Re-centering to the original question: Will this "replacement for the Kroll" actually replace a Kroll or will it be an "LS4 only" switch with still no actual replacement for the Kroll in existing product?

tomsig03.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i belive the ls4 switch will not work with the ls4.

the ls4 is a non-mechanical switch...

the reason i expressed so much shock and interest is because i thought peter might be hinting at a replacement for the kroll...i hope so

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should tell you that the new switch will be for the LS4/LS5 only. It will not be for any other light (unless it is a user mod of the LS4/LS5).

The new switch has a tactile feedback but is quiet. It is a membrane switch and we are shooting for ~1m cycles. We do not have much more information ready at this time.

We are spending the extra money to replace the Kroll in our lights to improve reliability, reduce size and provide a better signal for the uC.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ok peter. i figured that was the case.

but i think there would be a huge demand if you ever had a switch developed to replace the kroll...

arc, mclux, mag, various mods... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter I'd like to suggest a lockout tailcap and a rather soft button action. The Kroll switch is quite stiff and not easy to operate for people with hand problems. It takes several times more force to turn on a Kroll than say a pushbutton Maglight switch. Thanks

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. It must cheapen what I'm sure is a great light having owned a couple previous version Arc LS's. I probably should have known based on the various threads I read in this forum about how to get the switch to work properly. You shouldn't have to play around with the switch in order to get it to work properly.

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
it's the same switch...

unfortunately...unless you want a ram switch (many have reported worse quality...), it's the only option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine's got no problems though....no flickering unless the battery is out of regulation and it turns on everytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I should say- and I think others will agree with me that the Kroll is a pretty good switch for what it costs. It has done well for the LS but you know me, always trying to do one better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.