Saving Favorites:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is this done? I'd like to save them to another file or a CD copy for backup. I have Windows XP home. Thanks. :ohgeez:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be using an online backup site. There are several free ones. I use foxmarks for Firefox.

jusval

Enlightened
Click on "My Computer", then "Local Drive C", then "All Users", then "Documents and Settings"
You will see the favorites folder there and you can right click on the folder and "Send To" a CD for backup if you wish

I believe that will work for you.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay thanks!. Greenlight, any that you suggest? And how do you send them there? Are they secure?

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
I don't know, just Google it. It is a popular function. You can access your bookmarks from anywhere if you can remember the site, your username, and password.

Foxmarks just works super with firefox.
I see the biggest advantage also in having the same bookmarks on my laptop, my work laptop and my desktop.
When adding a bookmark, foxmarks updates and when logging on to my work laptop they are syncronised!
If you have the site andpassword you can indeed access them on any internet connected PC!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, just Google it. It is a popular function. You can access your bookmarks from anywhere if you can remember the site, your username, and password.
I thought maybe you had a certain one in mind. I'm pretty new to alot of these things, thus the question. I don't know what bookmarks are either, but I'll ask somewhere else, thanks. :(

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bookmarks are called Favorites in MS IE... Same thing as Bookmarks.

Typically (at least in older versions of MS IE)--Favorites are saved in a file called Bookmarks.htm (or .html). In the end, it is really nothing more than a text file formatted in HTML with website links (URL's) and some description.

Most software (not limited to Microsoft) seems to make it very confusing to export "their data" (really your data) for backup, sharing, or migrating to other applications.

Hence, why many times for somebody that is not very familiar with the internals of computers/software--what seems to be obvious (there is an "import button" but no export button--or the export file formats are not the same as the import file formats).

I am certainly just a Windows User--do you have specific questions? Sometimes when you has a short/concise question--people assume that you know more than you do.

-Bill

PS: The Favorites/Bookmark functions are similar between IE and FireFox... However, many of us have moved from IE because of its lack of features and it ability (at least older versions) to be hijacked by Spammers/Password thieves.

So, many times you will ask "how do I do xyx in IE" and you will get the answer "this is how you do xyz + abc + efg + etc." in Firefox.

I don't think anyone has any intention of shutting you down in your asking questions... Believe me--we have all been there (bottom of a hole) asking for help.

Last edited:

Latest posts