LED selection to Illuminate my fishtank...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
First off... Mods I have no clue where to post this. I am sorry if this is off topic, can you please move or relocate to the right forum?

I am trying to illuminate my 20 Gallon fishtank with 2x reflector-less XR-E emitters. Each XRE would only be driven with about ~650 mah. I want to keep the drive currents low to reduce operating temperatures.

The question I have for the flashlight community is what is the best color tint to illuminate details in plants, rock and fish under water? Is a WC color tint too "pale white"?... do I need something more yellow/amber in tint?

I know many of you are avid divers and hopefully can help me out... or maybe some of you are also into fish tanks and aquariums too. FWIW.... I want to pick LEDs that will accentuate color and texture resolution.

thanks!!

:sigh:

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off... Mods I have no clue where to post this. I am sorry if this is off topic, can you please move or relocate to the right forum?

I am trying to illuminate my 20 Gallon fishtank with 2x reflector-less XR-E emitters. Each XRE would only be driven with about ~650 mah. I want to keep the drive currents low to reduce operating temperatures.

The question I have for the flashlight community is what is the best color tint to illuminate details in plants, rock and fish under water? Is a WC color tint too "pale white"?... do I need something more yellow/amber in tint?

I know many of you are avid divers and hopefully can help me out... or maybe some of you are also into fish tanks and aquariums too. FWIW.... I want to pick LEDs that will accentuate color and texture resolution.

thanks!!

:sigh:

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs
Is it a Reef Tank?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is it a Reef Tank?

No, its a standard freshwater setup with a small orange-gold/white Koi and some lava rocks and small disney characters (for the kids). My cousin has a similar (larger setup) but his light hood has flourescent tubes, that... I speculate do a poor job at rendering texure and colors.

thanks!
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, its a standard freshwater setup with a small orange-gold/white Koi and some lava rocks and small disney characters (for the kids). My cousin has a similar (larger setup) but his light hood has flourescent tubes, that... I speculate do a poor job at rendering texure and colors.

thanks!
:popcorn:
You need special type of fluorescent bulbs made for fish tanks, it's called VHO (Very High Output). Used in combination with HQI lamps (Metal Halide) give the very best color rendering/depth and proper illumination for this hobby, bar none. LEDs are still not there...

But if your setup is a simple freshwater fish tank, you really don't need any sophisticate illummination devices. You can try making a home-made LED light fixture, it won't hurt your fish. Just don't ever try that with live corals and other marine species...