Maglite's Newest Product

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite\'s Newest Product

I just put one of those in my 3-Cell...it is an improvement in brightness, but the bulb and filament are smaller than stock, so the already ringing beam is now VERY ringy...

--dan

Catapult

Enlightened

Ahh, Mag-Lite has made some changes and updates to their website. In addition to the new higher intensity lamps, the new AA accessory pack now uncludes a blue lens in place of the amber lens. Too bad they have no new improvements for the MiniMags.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened

Have you seen that they now give the lumens ratings ?
For example, the magcharger is at 175 lumens, not bad for a
1.5-2 hours runtime (i've checked on mine). However, I didn't know that the 4D mag was at 59 lumens: to me it appears much dimmer than my 6p@65 lumens. Perhaps they give the bulb rating and not the actual output from the lamp assembly, I'll email their customer service to sort this out, but do you have any reactions when reading their ratings ?

François.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

maglite is one of the market leaders in the flashlight market, so using lumens ratings might prompt other manufacturers to do the same and we won't have to put up with deceiving candlepower ratings any longer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i recall someone posting that having a smooth beam free of rings was not one of maglite's design goals, so i doubt they'll introduced textured reflectors anytime soon.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Magnum Star Xenon bulbs, and they are pathetic. They are dimmer than the krypton, and much yellower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Catapult said:
Ahh, Mag-Lite has made some changes and updates to their website. In addition to the new higher intensity lamps, the new AA accessory pack now uncludes a blue lens in place of the amber lens. Too bad they have no new improvements for the MiniMags.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blue lens is so that you can make your friends think your Mag has a LED right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mag's only intention is to project a thin beam with almost no useable side spill, and that's it...

So seeing them come out with a faceted reflector is like wishing for a tooth fairy. It amazes me Mag would even decide to R/D an LS based light, as I'd assume it would've been only natural for Mag to distance themselves away from "changes" and to stick to filaments...

Alledges

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Catapult said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually reduces the usefulness. It turns out the amber was suitable as a color printing safelight. I got a $30 "special" amber LED safelight for a photo class and found the techs in the lab were using minimags with the amber lens. Maybe it's just the MM's low output that made it possible.

Catapult

Enlightened

Hmm. Interesting. My red and amber lenses remain unused due to the significant loss in brightness (it's so dim!). Night vision smision. If I want red light, I would rather use something brighter, more efficient, and cheaper to operate, like a red LED. I always look at these colored lenses as toys for show only. Nice to know it actually has other uses.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Opalec with an amber lens is very good for trips to the bathroom late at night. It is bright enough to see by, but it doesn't blind me at all when I turn it on.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Francois1 said:
Have you seen that they now give the lumens ratings ?
For example, the magcharger is at 175 lumens....

François.

[/ QUOTE ]

Francois,

I checked the site, and found "Magcharger Specifications" and saw the CP figures but didn't see any lumen ratings. Can you tell me where to find them?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

shrap

Enlightened

I was told in an earlier thread that to conserve night vision, you want the dimmest possible light that allows you to work. I've been using a Minimag (original bulb - yuck), loaded with rechargables, a red filter, and a Kroll switch as my nighttime light. I considered a red led light, but the size of the minimag is nice - I can put it down on my nightstand, and its large enough I can grab it without looking.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i find the mini maglite excellent in terms of ergonomics.

Azreal911

Enlightened

does anyone have the statistical ratings of those bulbs? i'm wondering if the 2D xenon lamp is brighter than a radio shack i bought for my 2D plastic flashlight. the bulb is have is a krypton 2.4V 900mah bulb. it's much brighter than the original junk it came with so i chucked the old one.

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened

Do the new Xenon bulbs last any longer than the older krypton (15 hours I believe)?