Will I get through airport security with this?

What will happen at the airport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhanko

Enlightened
We're going on vaction April 18th. I searched the forums regarding bringing lights with tritium vials through airport security, and the general consensus was that they go un-noticed. The light that I'm going to bring has a radioactive symbol on it. I'm wondering if this will stir up curiosity and possibly an investigation. I'd like to see some opinions on this. I'll let everyone know what happened when I return. If an overwhelming amount of people vote #4, I just may leave it home...

Jeff

novelsd1001.jpg

novelsd1002.jpg

novelsd1004.jpg

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh cmon your just showing off :twothumbs its a beaut

jhanko

Enlightened
oh cmon your just showing off :twothumbs its a beaut

Maybe just a little :naughty:, but I'm quite serious about this. By the way, does anyone know what tritium vials look like as they pass through the x-ray machine?

jag-engr

Enlightened
I suspect it will go un-noticed, but I voted #4 because I wouldn't take a risk that someone recognizes the symbol. If they do, they may get paranoid. There have been several people claiming to be "experts" who have posted prophecies of horrible death in threads about tritium vials.

Radiation is invisible and scary and some people will react very strongly.

Do you have another clip for it?

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I don't know but maybe I fit a certain profile type and have been given the "Special Treatment" a few too many times but I would recommend leaving that light at home because there are no hard and fast rules amongst airport security and they are very subjective to say the least. That light looks to be a relatively pricey item so I would prefer to keep it safe at home while I think about a travel light that won't be so sorely missed should it go missing. In general, I don't trust the bag checkers behind the scenes either, not that I want to paint all checkers with the same brush, but if I can't see you going through my items, then I will remove all temptations for a potential thief.

Sure your house could burn down, a flood could occur, and or neighborly burglar could happen upon your abode and you may loose that light anyway but I would wager that the chances of loosing that light at the airport would be much greater than leaving it at home.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
They might actually be happy to let you through in the interests of security. Imagine pulling that out on a terrorist who thinks it's some super secret ray gun capable of vaporizing him at the push of a button. :devil:

Funny thing is for most of the general public if you show them a light like that, and then say how much it costs, they'll ask incessantly about what else it can do besides being a flashlight. Maybe you can tell the security people that it's a new type of computer with a neural interface (hence no screen, keyboard, or mouse). If they ask for a demo, tell them it won't work for them because it needed to be calibrated by a technician at time of purchase to your brain-wave pattern.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the camp of better safe than sorry...

I'd leave it at home even though it'd probably be ok.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
They might actually be happy to let you through in the interests of security. Imagine pulling that out on a terrorist who thinks it's some super secret ray gun capable of vaporizing him at the push of a button. :devil:

Funny thing is for most of the general public if you show them a light like that, and then say how much it costs, they'll ask incessantly about what else it can do besides being a flashlight. Maybe you can tell the security people that it's a new type of computer with a neural interface (hence no screen, keyboard, or mouse). If they ask for a demo, tell them it won't work for them because it needed to be calibrated by a technician at time of purchase to your brain-wave pattern.
No, tell them it has a built-in neuralizer, that way they won't ask for a demo. :naughty:

I wouldn't think the emblem would be an issue, they probably see it all the time -- or am I the only one who had (as a teenager) a habit of drawing radiation and biohazard emblems on the most innocuous of my possessions?

Besides, it's not very conspicuous -- If the rad emblem was a stencil over a tritium disk or sphere (which would look even awesomer than it does, BTW), I can see them noticing, but nobody's going to notice that unless they're actually examining the pocket clip.

ackbar

Enlightened
Pray that the TSA guy isn't a flashaholic.. cause you won't be getting that back :p

Awesome body btw. What are the chances I could get you to make me one for my LF5XT?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you bring it, stick a piece of duct tape over the radiation trefoil.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one awesome piece you got there Jeff...!

Wasn`t there a thread about that one..?
I LOVE the clip...!

BTW, happy birthday..!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've been of the opinion that TSA actually has gotten better at some things. I used to get bag checked and searched all the time carrying Surefires perhaps three years+ ago.

However, in the last few, I haven't been singled out at all, and I carry all the same things, laptop, camera, Surefires and other metal barreled lights. I might attribute some of that to traveling with a small child now, but even when I travel on business, no hassles.

Now, I don't travel with things I really would miss, and usually not with trit inserts so YMMV.

daloosh

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice light!

But, why are you even questioning this? If in doubt, leave it at home. Even if the risk of losing it is extremely low, it's not worth it.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Radiation Symbol" on the clip might draw unwanted attention.

In the past I have had no problems taking 10-15 surefires through checkpoints, other than a few looks from the guy at the x-ray machine.

I just returned from florida.
I brought the Hellfighter along with about 10 other Surefires and was stopped at Detroit Metro and asked a few questions, but was let through pretty fast.

Leaving West Palm Beach was another story.
I must have had 15-20 TSA agents surrounding me and asking questions.

I also had a plastic case containing about 12 Tritium viles of different sizes.
I was asked a ton of questions and they searched everything ...except my person.
I thought for sure I was gonna get the "Finger Jab":eek:oo::eek:
I answered all questions and was asked to pack all my stuff up and proceed.
After all was said and done, the TSA agent apologized for the inconvieniance.
I said I was greatful that they are thorough in helping to keep us safe...after all it is your job..:grin2:

Had they tried to keep something, I would have called to be picked back up and taken another flight at a later time and mailed some lights back home.

I would never put lights in my "checked bags" and so far, have always had just "carry on" since the 911 incident.
I've heard of to many belonging ending up missing to even risk it.

I highly doubt the Hellfighter will be brought with me on flights again.:shakehead

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats one Beautiful Light!!

What about taking the clip off and replacing it with another?
Oh yeah...HAPPY BIRTHDAY as well!!:wave::party: