Triple P7 / Ledil Reflectors w/ Snap-on Diffuser

Mick

Newly Enlightened
Hlight3xP7Ledil01sm.jpg

TripleP7_DiffHood.jpg

CaveLightParts1sm.jpg

The light is 57 x 50 mm without the helmet clip.

Mick

Newly Enlightened
This is just a hobby for me. I have no plans to produce these in any quantity. I may do a small run of complete lights if there are people interested. I may be willing to release the drawings for non commercial use. I only have a small manual lathe / mill and am not a experienced machinist so the parts take me forever to make.

Mick

Newly Enlightened
Touch Switch mounted in rear cover of caving headlight. This is a QT310 potted in a black delrin housing. No moving parts. Absolutely waterproof.
This will control the excellent hipFlex driver from TaskLED.

QuadP7_TouchSwitch2sm.jpg

traplight

Newly Enlightened
You sneaky little devil ;) the touch switch is a mighty fine idea. Was thinking about using a magnetic switch on mine.. but you've got a better idea.

sweet

dom

Enlightened
Wow -haven't heard of those type switches before.
What are their drawbacks ,if any?

I'll have to do a search on these,but can you tell us what the 3 wires hook up to?

Nice solid build there.

Cheers
Dom

Mick

Newly Enlightened
The connections are power (~3-5 vdc), ground (common), and signal (open collector, drain). You need to use the power from the driver, then the touch switch acts like a normally open push button.
There are downsides; the IC is obsolete and the replacement is 1/2 size and very difficult to build without a circuit board with solder mask. I am trying to find a better solution.
Also with a touch switch there is no tactical feedback and you don't have to even touch it to activate it. You need to place it in a recess or place where you won't brush against it unintentionally.

Mick

Newly Enlightened
Prototype circuit board before trimming and potting. The copper squares on the board are .042 inch (~1mm) with .008 inch (.2mm) gaps. The copper touch pad is 1/2 inch (12.7mm).

QT310_TouchSensorSm.jpg

dom

Enlightened
The switch sound great for waterproof and non-mechanical security.

Does it have to always draw power like if
you used a normal MOM switch?Did you make that circuit board?

How does it touch sense thru the plastic onto the copper?

I read a bit of the specs but is a little beyond me :)

What is it's total weight?
I'm sure you'd have some buyers out there, since the guy making the Serv-Light has closed shop (i think).

You have a great driver and switch in a neat package.

Cheers
Dom

Mick

Newly Enlightened
The switch and driver will draw a small amount of power anytime the battery is connected.
The sensor uses the copper pad in an oscillator circuit. Your finger changes the frequency when it is near or touching the plastic housing. The IC looks for a change in frequency to determine a touch. It will work through plastic but not metal. There are inductive sensors that will sense through some metals.
I made the circuit with much pain for these 66 year old eyes. :)
The weight includes the diffuser and there is still some machining to be done so it may be a bit lighter.

P7x3LedilWeight.jpg

Mick

Newly Enlightened
I will discuss releasing the drawings in private. You can find my email by clicking my name. Just use a descriptive note in the subject line so I won't think it is spam.

Mick

Newly Enlightened
Yes Iztok, There is no way a triple P7 will run over 2 amps in a small housing. The hipFlex driver has a programmable thermal cut-back that I am relying on to prevent meltdown.

Your light looks very nice!

Mick

Newly Enlightened
A couple more pictures:
Helmet_P3Ledil18deg1sm.jpg

From Cavertim: Light with 18 degree reflectors, 2.4 amps.
LostCreekCaveWaterfall3sm.jpg