MC-E vs 3xQ5 : wich one is better?

trek551

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a flashlight with 3 Q5 emitters that are driven at 6volts 1800mah. If I purchase a flashlight of similar quality with an MC-E emitter that is driven at 6 volts and 1800mah which one will produce the most light? Which one will produce the most heat? Would I get more light and/or less heat if I purchased a flashlight with 5 Q5 emitters and "underdriven" them to get a total of 1800mah? Thanks for your help.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience with my recent purchase of a MC-E and P7 in P60 design. They underproduced due to (not confirmed yet) the lack of heat sinking.

The Tripple Malkoff drop-in was brighter and makes a true 700 plus out the front from a 4C maglight. The reason the Maglight makes more light is because the host allows for proper heatsinking.

This theory will be tested shortly. For now I say if the heatsinking is adequate then a MC-E could potentially be up to 700 plus lumens, but throw will not be as good as the tripple Q5. I do not think the cheaper DX lights will have the heatsinking required to maximize the output of eighter application.

The Legion II with a single quad emitter does make over 700 plus Lumens and so does the Tripple R2 Malkoff for Maglights. Both are huge and the Malkoff is not made any longer.

If Malkoff Made the Tripple R2 I would purchase it new for $149 or a used one in the Market place for $100, but it is likely to carry a premium. The Tripple R2 really throws too....

Last edited:

trek551

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. my thinking is that we get 60 to 70 lumens per watt when driven hard ex: P3D Q5 or T1 and their siblings but if weight is not that important then having multiple leds underdriven will get us closer to 100 lumens per watt. I have no problem buying an underdriven MC-E drop-in for P60 hosts if it can generate more light that an R2 drop-in.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming bin levels were identical output would be close to identical as well. The beam qualities are likely to be quite different. Look at the 2 versions of the LumaPower MVP; one is 3 x Q5 one is 1 x MC-E M-bin; output is nearly identical, the biggest difference is HOW they output their light. The MC-E has more spill, the 3 x Q5's have more throw - this is also due to the optics used on these particular lights.

neoseikan

Enlightened
I think mrGman and wbp made a comparison between Legion II and Markoff's tripleDrop. You can find it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20634664@N02/sets/72157615785637890/

From my experience with my recent purchase of a MC-E and P7 in P60 design. They underproduced due to (not confirmed yet) the lack of heat sinking.

The Tripple Malkoff drop-in was brighter and makes a true 700 plus out the front from a 4C maglight. The reason the Maglight makes more light is because the host allows for proper heatsinking.

This theory will be tested shortly. For now I say if the heatsinking is adequate then a MC-E could potentially be up to 700 plus lumens, but throw will not be as good as the tripple Q5. I do not think the cheaper DX lights will have the heatsinking required to maximize the output of eighter application.

The Legion II with a single quad emitter does make over 700 plus Lumens and so does the Tripple R2 Malkoff for Maglights. Both are huge and the Malkoff is not made any longer.

If Malkoff Made the Tripple R2 I would purchase it new for $149 or a used one in the Market place for $100, but it is likely to carry a premium. The Tripple R2 really throws too....