Fenix Or Nitecore?

risman

Newly Enlightened
Looking At One of These Lights For My Next Purchase ,What Are The Major Differences ? Is One Better Than The Other as far As Run Times .....lovecpf PD 20 Or NC EX 10-r2

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both, the EX10 is much more appealing and versatile.

The NiteCore is easily upgradable. The PD20 is epoxied shut for life. :ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends, Nitecore has variable output, and the new UI.

Fenix has compatible 1AA, 2AA, and 1CR123 bodies for the head, and set outputs (pro or con depends on the person).

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can't really go wrong with either. Both have unique UI's. Fenix is more efficient, NiteCore will have longer runtimes on low due to the lower brightness level.

It really depends more on what your individual preferences are.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nitecore, and I love it!
I don't have a fenix , though

icon test!
mallninjaos5.gif

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
EX10 can run up to 65hrs while Fenix up to 35hrs on their lowest modes.
EX10 is more compact and cooler in beam temperature due to its R2, arguably brighter by just a bit. I would like a KISS UI, so PD20's strobe and SOS is a turn off for me. Also depends if you prefer PD or clicky.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix are great lights if they fit your application. They tend to have the longest runtimes for a given cell and at given brightness level. I've always prefered the P1D over the P2D (earlier version of PD20), so I've never tried that particular model, but I've tried almost every other one. Lots of review and comparisions for you to look at... or just try one and see if you like it.

D10 never worked for me, I'll be listing my D20 for-sale soon. BUT i'm going to be trying a NC Extreme R2 very soon. I would have prefered and Q5 with SS bezel, but those seem to be all gone.

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
If I was getting this for an EDC, I'd go with the EX10 because its slightly smaller. If the P1D was still an option (with an updated 3 mode, similar to the L0D to LD01 update), I'd probably go for that instead. Also, the EX10's knurling gives it far better handling than the PD20 (necessary in an EDC, IMO).

If I was just going to add another flashlight to my never ending collection, I'd probably go for the PD20. Other than the superior efficiency, it has a better beam (when comparing Cree models), it can use L2D/L1D/LD10 bodies, and has a more proven durability record.

The only other deal breaker is RCR compatibility. Fenix's tend to lose lower modes until the cell is used up. The EX10 supports RCR's, but they don't have as flat of a regulation curve as Fenix's do on primaries/NiMH.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Fenix LxT models and the others with just high low. I like giving these away as gifts since build quality is good and the interface is easy. Hate strobe, SOS and reverse clickies so I never get those (have tried).

The only Fenix lights I still own are an E1 (with a lux3:eek:) and an E01 the others have been given away.

I prefer the Nitecores for the UI, build quality (not by much) and with the Extreme the ability to use Surefire E series bodies:D

I is also easier to open NiteCores:whistle: Warm white Crees are sooo good:thumbsup:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned many Fenix lights that have seen heavy EDC action.I am a believer in their quality and performance.

All that being said, unless you want a light on your keys, choose the Nitecore.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my EX10 everyday, it has never failed, but right now I'm looking into single AA lights because in a pinch, you can always find a new battery.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my EX10 everyday, it has never failed, but right now I'm looking into single AA lights because in a pinch, you can always find a new battery.

That's why I own a Connexion and an Angel A.
I may soon drop $70 on a Liteflux AA/14500 R2.

Latest posts